ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 10-05-13, 10:53 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,904 Times in 9,304 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADD = asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevuke79 View Post
Wait a second wait a second wait a second.... Guys, I think we've gone too far, and I think there are nuggets of truth to be found in this article.

I think Daydreamin's point is that we should appreciate the good and the bad of our disabilities. The better we understand it as a whole picture, the better chance that we'll have of not only coping with the challenges, but leveraging our strengths.

I think to say the perspective of the article strictly false and to be completely rejected is unnecessarily pessimistic. The articles perspective is incomplete; probably unfair; maybe even hurtful to some. But NOT just plain wrong. We can appreciate articles like these for what they are. We don't gain anything by denying the sum total of of our strengths and weaknesses.
What you said sounds good, but unfortunately for most of us there seems to be no "good" that comes with being disabled by ADHD.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
Daydreamin22 (10-06-13), LittleFrog (10-09-13), namazu (10-09-13), Stevuke79 (10-05-13)
Old 10-05-13, 11:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,114 Times in 2,794 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

Bella, i think ive been misunderstood. My first post in this thread was exactly what you just said. I even later said that IMO, ADHD is a liability, plain and simple. So we agree. I even suspect the OP agrees.

But now we've gone from "I disagree" to "If you continue to hold you're view once we've debunked it, that's 'pretty silly'". Keep in mind the OP cites that she found the article reassuring; she's not the only one and at times I also find this view reassuring. I feel like some of the tone has gone from disagreement to dismissive.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-05-13), Daydreamin22 (10-06-13), namazu (10-09-13), Tony72 (10-06-13)
Old 10-05-13, 11:20 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,904 Times in 9,304 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bella, i think ive been misunderstood. My first post in this thread was exactly what you just said. I even later said that IMO, ADHD is a liability, plain and simple. So we agree. I even suspect the OP agrees.

But now we've gone from "I disagree" to "If you continue to hold you're view once we've debunked it, that's 'pretty silly'". Keep in mind the OP cites that she found the article reassuring; she's not the only one and at times I also find this view reassuring. I feel like some of the tone has gone from disagreement to dismissive.
Ah, okay. So we're on the same page then...

I hope I don't come across as being dismissive.

Glad the article was reassuring for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
Daydreamin22 (10-06-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-13, 11:30 PM

Thanked 26,088 Times in 12,175 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshT View Post
Most of those don't really seem adhd related negatives. If the reason for not being a good leader is due to confidence, you can work on that. But what does that have to do with ADHD hindering you? Likewise for the anxiety issues, surely those are issues all people with anxiety would have?

The whole point of the article is to express positives of ADHD. Not to show how debilitating it is, or give a balanced argument.

Whenever there's an article on the negatives and strong impact of ADHD, you never hear such an uproar about such an unbiased portrayal, that 'no positives of adhd are shown'. Are we wanting every single positive adhd article to make sure they express all the negatives too but not the vice versa?

Why do I never hear people with Aspergers complaining about positive articles written about their condition?

How so?

Also, i'd just like to add I have no opinion whatsoever of this article, am neither for or against.
I haven't seen very many articles written about the positive benefits of
having Asperger's.

I think Asperger's and Autism are accepted by the masses as being real
disorders, whereas ADHD is often seen as being "a made-up condition
by big pharma" or "an excuse for lazy parents to manage their children."

I haven't read the article in the link, but from some of the responses I'd
say it presents ADHD as being a real disorder, but downplays the amount
of impairment it causes.

I very much agree with Dr. Barkley's statement that when people with
ADHD succeed, they do so in spite of their disorder, not because of it.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-05-13), Daydreamin22 (10-06-13), namazu (10-09-13), Tulip7171 (10-15-13)
Old 10-05-13, 11:32 PM

Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaVita View Post
Ah, okay. So we're on the same page then...

I hope I don't come across as being dismissive.

Glad the article was reassuring for you.
I don't feel that you were dismissive at all. Mostly I find articles like these frustrating. And personally I agree with Lunacie, a person succeeds DESPITE ADHD.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-05-13), Daydreamin22 (10-06-13)
Old 10-06-13, 03:47 AM
Contributor

Tony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of light

I was going more along the lines of, if daydreaming finds it inspiring then good for daydreaming. I personally don't, but that doesn't invalidate daydreaming's personal, emotional take. I don't think finding something inspiring has to be paired with its veracity. Enlightening is another story, but inspiration? Considering how hard it is for anything to inspire me I jump for it whenever I can get it. Guess that's conditioned me to cheer other people on when they find it. I just thought it was important to throw that out there so there could be some positivity thrown daydreaming's way. I don't think anyone meant anything personal against daydreaming at all, but I'm sure we can all understand how she might feel that way.

If she does. Didn't ask. Hedging.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tony72 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-06-13), Daydreamin22 (10-06-13), namazu (10-09-13)
Old 10-06-13, 04:22 AM

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Tony. and I'm glad everyone is sharing their perspective.

I don't take anything personally at all. I think we make connections that other people can't/won't make. I see it as an asset, still. Creativity is a sign of gifted/intelligence. Kids with ADHD are put into gifted programs for this reason (cough). This title was really catchy. I didn't mean to make it sound like a fact. Although, I personally believe it to be an asset. There are different kinds of intelligence. I think people wit ADHD hold untapped talent, lots of it. Lots of hidden gems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daydreamin22 For This Useful Post:
Tony72 (10-06-13)
Old 10-06-13, 08:56 AM
Forum Guru

AshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by silivrentoliel View Post
That's because, to most of us with severe ADHD, there are no positives.

I have to admit, I only read to the part about the lady with the puppies (she worked at some service dog something or other)... I'm jealous. I can do tons of things at once, but I'm crap at remembering any long term project- unless the deadline is looming...

And yeah, maybe I do think outside the box- to NTs - but it's not outside to the box to me... it just makes the most sense.

I do, however, have a good intuition. I didn't see that mentioned in there, but Fuzzy said something about it.

I get they are trying to say it's not all bad... but they are painting it to look like everyone with ADHD can perform so well... and not everyone can.
Yes, but just because you believe there are no positives.

Why must we just on the back of other people with different views? Just because they want to think positively about their condition, who is anyone else to interfere with that? And the vice versa also applies.

And in terms of there being NO POSITIVES. People with lesser memory, cognitively have better reasoning skills. This applies for both ADHD and Dyslexics. I'll try and find the paper for you to post the evidence.

But if, for example a student takes exams that are memory based, they'll fail and adhd is a negative. If they take exams which require reasoning skills, they'll be more likely to do better than their peers and it's a positive.

When I realized this, I looked at my exam papers from last year and saw 3 A's and 3 Fails. All or nothing which is very adhd-like.

And the exams I got all A's? Required much less memory, it was problem solving and it was fun. But ADHD or not, every single person on this planet has positives and negatives, we just need to find what works for us.

If someone with ADHD ends up in prison, jail with a life sentence I can certainly see why it's a negative. But it's a negative for them. If a person with severe ADHD has succeeded in the business sector and found that their hyper-focus allowed them to work 16 hours a day and gain promotions quickly, then it's been a positive for them.

What I don't get is this need to categorize entire populations based on certain factors. And then turn around and say 'Oh, you only succeeded because your adhd is less severe'.

We are ALL individual, we have all had individual lives, we have all been affected by different factors, we have all learnt different wisdom from our own experiences. So why, why, why, enforce our views from an entirely different perspective and learning, onto other people?

Why don't we look at this and actually just say 'You know what, maybe there is no right or wrong answer'.
Old 10-06-13, 08:59 AM
Forum Guru

AshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to beholdAshT is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I haven't seen very many articles written about the positive benefits of
having Asperger's.

I think Asperger's and Autism are accepted by the masses as being real
disorders, whereas ADHD is often seen as being "a made-up condition
by big pharma" or "an excuse for lazy parents to manage their children."

I haven't read the article in the link, but from some of the responses I'd
say it presents ADHD as being a real disorder, but downplays the amount
of impairment it causes.

I very much agree with Dr. Barkley's statement that when people with
ADHD succeed, they do so in spite of their disorder, not because of it.
Most people with AS i've met have been able to give positives of their condition - and I know a lot of people with Aspergers. Of course by experiences may be mistaken and I could have been lucky with those i've met.

How does it downplay the impairment? The issue I have is it's an article nothing to do with impairment, so why are we being frustrated by it not talking about impairment lol :S? I'm generally asking this question and would be grateful if anyone could explain!

In regards to Barkley's statement, this is the same person who believes hyperfocus is a curse. He should probably tell that to the many books which are written trying to teach Neurotypicals to induce 'Flow', which is the same thing.
Old 10-06-13, 09:03 AM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corina86 View Post
My point wasn't to express why ADHD is hindering me, but to show that, unfortunately, all of the positives listed in this article aren't true at all for me. I do have other qualities though, some of them very important, things that aren't all related to ADHD, just not the ones mentioned in that story. I dislike the article because it tries to change a disorder into a positive stereotype, kind of like saying all Aspergers are geniuses with great memories, when the fact is, most of them aren't.
Fair enough .

Also, I'm pretty sure that's not true and although not ALL people with Aspergers have high IQ's, a large portion do.

The NAS website states that those with Aspergers 'Have average or above IQ's' and all talks on AS i've been too have expressed the high proportion of people with AS who have high IQ's.
Old 10-06-13, 09:53 AM

Actually about aspergers, that's a misconception.

most people with aspergers have average intelligence.the reason the misconception exists is that we used to think these impairments decreased cognitive ability.

Now we know that's not true and people with aspergers have IQ accross the spectrum, but are not more likely to be above average.

Old 10-06-13, 11:07 AM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Actually about aspergers, that's a misconception.

most people with aspergers have average intelligence.the reason the misconception exists is that we used to think these impairments decreased cognitive ability.

Now we know that's not true and people with aspergers have IQ accross the spectrum, but are not more likely to be above average.
Source please?

The information I have is from NAS, other research papers and conferences.

This is the first I have heard of it as a misconception. Surely IQ tests are standardized across the board, so what people 'think' doesn't matter, they either have higher IQ or they don't?
Old 10-06-13, 12:24 PM
Contributor

Tony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of light

This is making me think of that statement I've seen people mention before that I think Barkley(?) said, and I'm paraphrasing: ADD isn't an inability of knowing what to do but actually doing it. I think it was along those lines. Anyway, I think the issue that most people--me included--have a hard time accepting in terms of whatever potential advantages (using loosely) ADD can have is that we lack the ability to take advantage of them. Or rather, it's very difficult for us to. The only reason I sought treatment was because I hit a wall in my book that wasn't writer's block and I was determined not to give up on another story. It doesn't matter how creative I may or may not be, but if I never write a word it doesn't mean anything.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony72 For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (10-17-13), LittleFrog (10-09-13)
Old 10-06-13, 12:28 PM

http://www.autism.com/index.php/understanding_savants

if you want studies, it's hard to quote one that fully answers the question. This blog delves into it AND quotes studies to substantiate details so it's an easy way to get a feel for

1. Where the misconception comes from
2. What the facts actually are

Old 10-06-13, 03:17 PM

Thanked 26,088 Times in 12,175 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshT View Post
Most people with AS i've met have been able to give positives of their condition - and I know a lot of people with Aspergers. Of course by experiences may be mistaken and I could have been lucky with those i've met.

How does it downplay the impairment? The issue I have is it's an article nothing to do with impairment, so why are we being frustrated by it not talking about impairment lol :S? I'm generally asking this question and would be grateful if anyone could explain!

In regards to Barkley's statement, this is the same person who believes hyperfocus is a curse. He should probably tell that to the many books which are written trying to teach Neurotypicals to induce 'Flow', which is the same thing.
I didn't say that people with Asperger's don't consider there to be any
positives in having AS. All I said was that I haven't seen much in the
media about Asperger's being something positive for those who have it.

I did explain that media articles that focus on the potentially positive
aspects of having a mental health disorder like ADHD makes those of us
who try to explain the impairments it causes look like lazy whiners. They
make it very hard to get accomodations in school or at work because
"gifted people" don't need any special help. There, I explained again.

Choosing to induce a "flow" condition is a whole lot different than wasting
hours on something fascinating because you can't tear yourself away, or
not being able to make yourself pay attention to something that seems
boring.

Choice - no choice. I can see the difference between them, can't you?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-09-13)