ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 08-05-05, 07:32 PM

Sox04 is on a distinguished road
email from supervisor

I hope that you are still with the same job and working for Ann-Marie. The reason I am able to say this is that she is really trying to help you know where you stand and what you need to do. (Of course for ADD people we often seem to know WHAT to do, it's the how.)

Anyway, By telling you exactly what she'd like to see changed - ie: that your'e communicating through email rather than in person, and being non-verbal she is telling you where you stand. So you know. Personally, it is sometimes easier for me to send an email b/c it makes sure that I have my thoughts lined up so they make sense instead of jumping around a lot. I also don't tend think as fast on my feet with my supervisor as I'd like. (I have so much respect and admiration for him that it is difficult for me to talk to him b/c I feel like he would view me as lacking or unworthy. In truth he has put up with a tremendous amount from me and I haven't given as much back.)

So, perhaps explaining to Ann-Marie that you find it easier on some things to communicate via email b/c it allows you to present information in a clear, concise, and organized manner. Perhaps she would be able to provide you with strategies for communicating with her verbally.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sox04 For This Useful Post:
addcolin (07-06-11), and_from_sages (07-10-08)
Old 01-21-06, 04:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

ClarityWhere is on a distinguished road
email from supervisor

Wow. I can understand that it hurt to receive it, but I want to borrow that e-mail, b/c I think she hit a constructive tone. I have a hard enough time managing my own issues, and I suspect that someone I now have to manage has untreated ADD. She has many of the same issues the e-mail addresses.
The Following User Says Thank You to ClarityWhere For This Useful Post:
and_from_sages (07-10-08)
Old 05-01-06, 01:51 PM
Contributor

movingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbf
Prioritizing is one thing that coaching does help with. At work, it should be possible to borrow someone's ear for a few minutes to sort things out. It might sound unusual but it could even be a mutual exchange. I've done that at work all the time calling people over to help with a design problem, though I'll admit it's not so common for more mundane organizational details it should definitely help if you can find someone to help. Offer to help them with something. Forced collaboration (teamwork) at work kills me but when it's voluntary, it's excellent.
"Forced collaboration (teamwork) at work kills me but when it's voluntary, it's excellent."

Ask more about why this is? This is how i works all the time. We know what our priorities are but we don't consider them to be any less a priority than another one. We simply have our own WAY of doing it. This WAY will work just fine and allow us to excell at what we do. But the mundane tasks get in the way. That in itself to me personally is a mundane issue!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-06, 11:27 PM

turbofish has disabled reputation
Music - it drowns out the noices that the savage beast [office worker] makes. IHAVE to have some music playing just to block out the noice. After I'm able to focus on what I'm doing, I can take off the head phones and it didn't matter what was happening around me. The building could be on fire and I wouldn't notice it.
I can't listen to a full album, everything is randomized. For example, two songs ago, it was an old jug band song [old, '29 and many consider it to be the foundation of what we know of the blues/rock/,,, today.], last song was Creed, and now it is Gracie Fields -'49. Good, BlindSide coming up next.

http://www.turbofish.com/music.txt
The Following User Says Thank You to turbofish For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-06, 09:39 AM

liz41 is on a distinguished road
Extending probationary period

I started a new job about 3 months ago and just came up on the end of my probationary period and had a conference with my boss about how I am doing. Well, she told me that she was extending my probationary period for 30 days so that she and her assistant could work with me on a few things that have been lacking in my job performance. She explained that they could'nt give me the attention that they wished to because they have been so busy. She knows about my add and also some issues I have with anxiety disorder. She also said that she thought I was a very good worker and was worth her time and attention. I'm worried however about this extention because I think when you are in the probationary period you can be let go for no reason. I feel like I am walking on eggshells and am under the microscope in there now. I'm scared to death of losing my job. I try so hard and it never seems to be good enough. I am on SSDI for depression and anxiety which I will be getting off of soon (my decision) because I want to be a functional and contributing member of society. Can anyone out there offer any advice, council, or reassurance that can help me get through the next 30 days? Thanks in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to liz41 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-07, 02:19 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

VisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really nice
From technology to no technology-A real struggle

This is the first school I have worked in with very little technology-adapting is taking a long time-I really depend on it and am at a very high stress level trying to adapt to the extra work-and the increase in mistakes and time to fix them.

Don't want to use ADD as an excuse-plus, some of it is school-wide and impossible to change. Just need a shoulder to lean on. And a place to rant, rave, and cuss. I would rather be teaching.

Becky
The Following User Says Thank You to VisualImagery For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-07, 11:34 PM
Jr Member

johnnyl is on a distinguished road
Some things that help me:
1. Stay away from the computer at least some of the time. It is best for me to start without the computer. I can prioritize, plan, and start better that way.
2. Take breaks for water. Use those break times to do tasks other than "computer things".
3. Ground myself in all ways.
4. Write down exactly why I stopped working on one thing, and then (when it's a "problem" I don't have the answer to) make it a point to ask someone or get help on it.
5. If I communicate better by thinking it all through and writing it all down first, I do. This is especially important for phone calls and meeting strangers.
6. Relax more. Though it seems so illogical, the more I relax, the better I do. And the better others like me, and I like myself--at least sometimes!
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnyl For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-07, 11:44 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

mhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of light
Smile I thought I was different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keppig
If anyone has any other suggestions or even other problems could you share them with us?
One problem I have at work is the distraction my co-workers do, the laughing, giggling, flinging of rubber bands, playing weird sounds on their computers (Such as beaker from Muppets), talking loud on their cell phones.
Wow thats amazing thats my biggest problem at work is distraction. Particulary when this one guy laughs I start laughing to me he has a funny laugh. Then there is the times when someone is explaining somthing to me and I start to lose track of what is being said. This is becuase there are so many distractions. MY boss has already told me that I have an issue when it comes to paying attention, I seem to always ask the same question more then three times that has been anwsered the day before. Funny thing is my boss has ADD too lol. But he lost his hyperness and he is much better then I am at listening and handling pressure.

You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing -- that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something.

Richard Feynman (1918 - 1988)

The Following User Says Thank You to mhyper790 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-07, 03:46 PM

Guest1 will become famous soon enough
my sidekick 3 cell was helpfull till they figured out i had internet on it
The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-07, 05:25 PM
Contributor

acceptance has disabled reputation
Ive been asigned a different pace for work today.......uh just when i get my own stuff done,im very anxious as in nervy today,my whole day will be out of wack.

oh the powers to be can be so cruel
The Following User Says Thank You to acceptance For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-07, 04:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

AsmodeanForsakn is on a distinguished road
Good luck with the new assignment! Don't I know how cruel the powers-that-be can be acceptance!

This was all before I even knew I had ADD. I had done OK in the place where I left to go to uni because they left me alone to do a job & didn't hassle me. Then the workload in that job go too much & I started to protest & tried to get help. So they decided they were going to "cycle" people through the job (ie dump me from it & put me into a lower level, general job) and my coping mechanisms at that time failed me, sending me back to hospital with major depression.

When I returned with a new attitude, nothing was ever good enough, at first we were allowed to listen to music on the computer (which really helped me) but I was constantly told by the supervisor to "turn it down" when it was not on loudly in the first place. Nobody else complained,by the way.

Fast forward to just over 2 years after returning to my work, I was put on a final written warning for things like "talking too loudly on the phone", "butting into conversations" etc. When they gave me the final written warning the supervisor actually said "This is not about your performance, it is about other things - but then did not go into these "other things" - they just gave me the letter with the final warning write-up. Since then, I realised these things were part of my ADD.

At that point I realised that I was never going to be able to save myself there & applied for uni, got my place back & I have not looked back. It just shows that there is a lot of ignorance in the workplace about any sort of mental health issues.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AsmodeanForsakn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-07, 10:28 AM

martysguy will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: email from supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox04 View Post
I hope that you are still with the same job and working for Ann-Marie. The reason I am able to say this is that she is really trying to help you know where you stand and what you need to do. (Of course for ADD people we often seem to know WHAT to do, it's the how.)

Anyway, By telling you exactly what she'd like to see changed - ie: that your'e communicating through email rather than in person, and being non-verbal she is telling you where you stand. So you know. Personally, it is sometimes easier for me to send an email b/c it makes sure that I have my thoughts lined up so they make sense instead of jumping around a lot. I also don't tend think as fast on my feet with my supervisor as I'd like. (I have so much respect and admiration for him that it is difficult for me to talk to him b/c I feel like he would view me as lacking or unworthy. In truth he has put up with a tremendous amount from me and I haven't given as much back.)

So, perhaps explaining to Ann-Marie that you find it easier on some things to communicate via email b/c it allows you to present information in a clear, concise, and organized manner. Perhaps she would be able to provide you with strategies for communicating with her verbally.
That is a wonderful email. I can appreciate Ann-Marie's candor and constructive criticism. Wow. Respect level has gone up, up, up for certain mgrs.

- Drew Carey
The Following User Says Thank You to martysguy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-08, 01:58 AM
Jr Member

Syrinx2112 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Surviving ADHD in the Workplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plast View Post
Hello All,

I have the biggest problem figuring out what my priorities are at work. I work in an environment that constantly throws new issues at me all day and I have to re-prioritize depending on which ones are "hot". This makes it really hard for me to start my day. I sit here, staring at my screen with my mind racing about what I should start working on. But I stress out because I don't feel sure of my decision and my mind starts wandering to the other issues.

Any suggestions on how to not let all the thoughts in my head stress me out so much? I get to the point where I'm in the middle of researching something and my mind says "Oh, what about this issue!!!" and I move onto the next issue. I end up not getting much done at all and I beat myself up.

I'm trying to retrain my brain and get some structure, but the thoughts are powerful and consuming.
This is tough. Glad I'm not alone.

Thanks,
Paul
You are definately not alone! You articulated very well what I go through almost on a daily basis! I get to work 1 to 2 hours before my co-workers so I can get a jump on the day, but it never works out that way, I try to catch up on something that I have been puting off, and things keep popping up anyway! Maybe I shouldn't check my email first thing in the morning. It is so frustrating. I want to show my boss I'm on top of things (especially since I just got a promotion), but then he'll ask me if I had gotten around to something I had completely forgot about! My task list in outlook keeps getting longer instead of shorter, because I forget to check it and keep adding stuff. Help!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Syrinx2112 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-08, 02:17 PM

Iknewit is on a distinguished road
Re: Surviving ADHD in the Workplace

I have a problem with following up on things. If I send someone an email to do something I forget about following up on it b/c I assume they are going to do it. I work in the insurance industry and so I am constantly requesting information or changes etc. Once I send the request I forget about it until they get back to me. Does anyone have a good system for following up?
The Following User Says Thank You to Iknewit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-08, 09:29 PM
Contributor

Johnnny will become famous soon enough
Re: Surviving ADHD in the Workplace

Quote:
ADHD can bring many wonderful qualities to a job. Men have reported that the high energy level, creative thinking and problem solving as well as the ability to hyper-focus on a task can bring much success to their careers. The ability to think conceptually, view the entire situation and find solutions to problems that are highly advanced and ingenious can bring much satisfaction. One man writes, “My ideas are laughed at initially but time proves them most benefical.” (David’s Perspective, The Many Faces of ADD)
one of those kind of qualities i bring to the table is i volunteer like a mad man. Boss says i have a job here for someone to do...... i tell him or her and am usually the first to say give it to me ill do it. Get alot of crappy jobs at first but once the boss knows you dont mind volunteering you will get the good jobs. Thats always been the case in my experience, that way i dont need to be paranoid all the time thinking im not doing my job lol.

The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice - Bhagavad Gita

I was so ugly the doctor slapped my momma when i was born. Then he took out his pocket knife and cut off my horns. He said lady if you ain't already picked out a name .Go ahead on and call him trouble man -Waylon Jennings
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnnny For This Useful Post: