ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-04-08, 02:21 PM
Jr Member

badcat is on a distinguished road
Re: Surviving ADHD in the Workplace

Wow--this is so great to read because I deal with all of these issues on a daily basis!! Also, i think it is so interesting how many people with ADD also deal with anxiety and depression. There is so much pressure to perform and produce in a particular way that it is very stressful to people who are more creative and abstract! Unfortunately, all the aspects of a "good" worker are contrary to the aspects of ADD. I am looking for a job and EVERY post says "self-starter", "organized", "punctual", "good follow-through", "work independently", etc. I keep thinking, where is the job posting that says, "sharp, creative worker wanted. Temporary bursts of enthusiasm, flexible sense of time, lack of focus or intense focus, distractability, need for collaboration and feedback, and direct, blunt communication a plus." Ha ha!! That's the job for me!!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to badcat For This Useful Post:
addcolin (07-06-11), and_from_sages (07-10-08), lil.zebra (02-01-09), Man w/ADD (05-06-12), till (06-09-10), transbay (10-08-08), Unmanagable (06-04-11)
Old 06-09-08, 06:03 PM

scorpio69 is on a distinguished road

I immigrated here from the Philippines almost 2 decades ago and went through depression and anxiety almost that length of time. I was diagnosed with ADD about four years ago and now in my second medication. Medication is not a cure all as you still have to work, get along with people and meet deadlines. I was fired in some jobs and barely survive the others.

I currently took a week off from work to deal with my emotional problems and overwhelming stress. I got the feeling that I will be leaving this job soon. I came to this job after quitting another job within the same company. This is my 4th year with this organization and maybe that length of time is enough and it's time to seek out other opportunities.

I've just finished my master's last May and boy, that was stressful. ADD, work and school at the same time almost cost me my sanity. There were quite a few times that I feel like going to the psych ward. I'm now faced with the reality of finding another job and historically, I always had problems finding a job that best fits me. I guess I'm not alone with this dilemma. I read in other forums that some are at the point of giving up and that's really sad. I was in that predicament quite a few times in my life.

I'm going to a CHADD meeting in two weeks and hopefully that will provide me some answers to some of my questions regarding ADD. I'm 38 years old and I feel that I've been caught between a rock and a hard place too many times during my adult life. My wife stood by me all of the 10 years we've been together. I am fortunate to have a loving and understanding wife. My lack of success in life is something that pains me a lot and feel bad for my wife. She always re-direct me and let me count my blessings. She's right.

I enjoyed the postings and it is a great source of inspiration.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scorpio69 For This Useful Post:
addcolin (07-06-11), and_from_sages (07-10-08), Unmanagable (06-04-11)
Old 07-10-08, 03:37 PM

and_from_sages will become famous soon enough

Reading these posts brought tears to my eyes! I can so relate, and being brand new to this board, and having not really shared that much with other ADDers, I had NO IDEA how NOT ALONE I am! I'm going to go back and click THANKS on all of these! I feel like a weight is being lifted. THANK YOU!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to and_from_sages For This Useful Post:
addcolin (07-06-11), Unmanagable (06-04-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-08, 05:52 PM
Jr Member

MRudolph is on a distinguished road

That link didn't work for me, but I found this at the same website.

http://add.about.com/od/adhdinadults/a/Worktips.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to MRudolph For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (07-29-08)
Old 07-19-08, 05:51 AM

Pooky is on a distinguished road

Thanx to all for such useful hints and information, it is too late for me as I am yet again unemployed however I will have to use them in my next job. I am determined to beat the on and of and on and of and on and of employment merry-go-round .... wish me luck.
Old 07-21-08, 12:05 PM

prelude31 is on a distinguished road

I am returning to this board after not looking at it for awhile. Does anyone here have issues with Non Verbal Learning Disability? If so what are your issues I was tested recently and found out that I have a 20 pt gap between my verbal score and performance score and that is with taking 20mg of adderall xr 20. The gap narrowed from what it was 8 years ago when I was taking only 5 mg of ritalin and before Sensory Integration therapy Without adderall my eyes will not focus at all and neither will I. My biggest issues or concerns for me is my motor skills which are horrible. I am 50 and my fine motor skills are really weak. (I can type and use computer software. ) My hand eye coordination is also extremely weak. I had done sensory integration therapy for about two years and stopped it in 2002. I recently started using something that I had gotten from my occupational therapist and it helps in that it keeps me from verbalizing everything that I do especially stuff that involves using motor skills, and makes me less conscious of the delay with my hand and eye, it might shorten the delay. The verbalizing the stuff that is automatic for other people distracts me from being able to really think about the mental aspect of the work. My tester did not believe me until she watched me work (which was before I went back to doing what I did during OT (which I hated but it makes life easier)

If anyone is out there with NVLD what kind of work are you doing? How did you discuss the fact that you are so much slower than you would seem to be? If I say nothing I might get in a situation where the output required is more than I can handle. Bosses always love me when I have temped and they have neither met me before my start date or seen my resume. Obviously the job is easier. Those positions wind up being either permanent positions or really long term temp assignments. It's been awhile since my last temp job. (the people loved me but their location closed about two months after the temps left, and because we were being phased out the work load was much lower than the norm so I could handle it or stay later since I didn't have to clock in with a regular time clock, I didn't pay myself for the extra time I worked due to my slowness and desire to be productive). I am trying to figure out what to do for full time work. I work part-time in a department store, and even there I am noticeably slower than most of the other people. Using what I learned in SI helps me to not talk to myself on the register and lets me do things quicker and not get rattled by the stuff that isn't routine like a return without tickets or something that might have been stolen. It also helps me in the tax program in that I can deal with something that is not familiar to me and work through it without freaking out.

By education I am an accountant, I worked tax season at H and R Block as a preparer. The people in my office knew me from working the year before in a clerical capacity and helped me with stuff that was more difficult and I helped them with some of the more routine stuff that was more clerical in nature.

I'm taking tax courses now to get ready for next season. I can get good scores on the certification quizzes which are open book, (although the wording can be tricky) but I'm always one of the last to finish the classroom exercises. People do notice these kind of things. It's like something doesn't add up.
Old 08-26-08, 11:16 PM

AntonBauer is on a distinguished road

My workplace is sometimes conducive to ADD, most times not. I work in television. There is a lot of hurry-up and wait, then a flurry of activity followed by a lull in the action, then busy again with my attention pulled in several directions with more than a few things to keep track of.
It's the down time that drives me crazy. I can't relax. I read, do crossword puzzles, try to talk shop or sports with others around me but not too good at that kind of thing. All the while feeling anxious and even guilty that I should/could be doing something more productive. Like the projects at home that I've started but are in various stages of completion. Seems the job is always getting in the way of my personal life.
At the end of the day I often feel worthless. (Then arrive home to the room with the paint, brushes and ladder sitting there and the powder room that just needs the tile installed.) My boss hasn't said anything, good or bad, to me which leaves me wondering where I stand. Maybe he gets it that this is the way the job goes and I just can't get used to it. And I've been there almost 25 years!
Now I've lost interest in typing. But do look forward to ideas and suggestions.
Thanks!
Old 09-01-08, 03:34 PM

ectopic_steve has a spectacular aura aboutectopic_steve has a spectacular aura about

I'm very discouraged by all that I've read regarding ADHD and overcoming workplace problems.

The only consistent answer that I see essentially boils down to, 'Discipline'.

The condition by its nature precludes discipline. This sounds to me like someone telling a blind person that all they need to do to read is look harder at the words. It's like telling a parapalegic that all they need to do to walk is practice using their legs.

I'm an ace at organizing. I carry a PDA like a security blanket. I have even gone so far as to structure my life so that those around me provided constant reminders and coaching.

And none of it... NONE of it has stopped my brain from going wherever the hell it wants to go. Does this mean that I don't want to succeed? Not necessarily. I want to succeed, but I cannot do the very things that allow me to succeed.

I have trouble believing that you can bootstrap yourself past this condition. If one finds a way to succeed, it will be something that you WANT to do. That's how my father deals with his ADHD, and even doing something he loves, in a situation ideal to his condition, he still doesn't have the credentials or knowledge that the 'normies' in his field have.

He's valuable, but he requires a secretary to write his memos. He requires a team of normies to carry through his ideas. This isn't practical for most people in the day-to-day world.

Answers, please!
anotheradder (06-02-15), Unmanagable (06-04-11)
Old 09-21-08, 07:56 AM
Jr Member

_Anna_ is on a distinguished road

My problem is that I DO use the calender in my computer at work and put in all reminders but i NEVER remeber to look at it. lol. It keeps popping up reminders all the time and I just ignore them. I work with probably the most unsuitable work possible for myself but have somehow (almost) managed to get by.
Since i finally admitted to and realized that ADD is my diagnose it is somehow easier as i try to remember my weaknesses instead of the overwhelming failure feeling
The Following User Says Thank You to _Anna_ For This Useful Post:
addcolin (07-06-11)
Old 09-21-08, 08:00 AM
Jr Member

_Anna_ is on a distinguished road

BADCAT:
I am looking for a job and EVERY post says "self-starter", "organized", "punctual", "good follow-through", "work independently", etc. I keep thinking, where is the job posting that says, "sharp, creative worker wanted. Temporary bursts of enthusiasm, flexible sense of time, lack of focus or intense focus, distractability, need for collaboration and feedback, and direct, blunt communication a plus." Ha ha!! That's the job for me!!

I love it!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to _Anna_ For This Useful Post:
addcolin (07-06-11), misterfelix (03-13-10), ustilago (01-29-09)
Old 09-22-08, 08:39 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,158 Posts
Addr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud of

Hello I'm a newbie and need advice. I'm ADHD and I'm a College Admissions Officer. I'm really good at it and I have the most students currently enrolled. My problem is not with the ADD...I've utilize some cope mechs for that...The problem I have is with the HD part. I tend to walk quickly out of my office into another's office and socialize. If there is no student or lead in there, I start visiting. My co-worker's and Director's are patient and to a point understanding, however there are times when I since their annoyance. I'm thinking my social cues at work are lacking. Any advice? O'h yes...I'm working on the, "stop-think-wait-coping mech"..its under construction
Old 10-01-08, 12:51 AM

daddywarbux is on a distinguished road

So I am 32 and just got diagnosed with ADHD on Monday and Tuesday was my first day of taking 20mg Adderall XR. It started working within like 45 mins and my head felt very heavy inside...almost like it was MAKING me focus on one thing at a time. Its almost like i didn't have the physical ability to think of more than one thing beacuse of the "heaviness". I took it at 8:30am and it wore off by 1:30pm and my leg was back to "jiggling" again

So I spoke with a Psych and he said that he's amazed I'm where I am with the symptoms I described. I have the HD portion to a fault. I can honestly only remember a handful of times in my life where I haven't been doing *something*. I NEVER get bored and never remember having free time. Because I'm never bored and never reflect, I don't even have a chance to get depressed about anything. I think thats a good thing.

I'm in the Enterprise Computer Software industry and am in Sales now. In short, I've succeeded in work by using MS Outlook to "schedule" everything. Every thought or action item is a task or appt in Outlook. This has saved my butt for years and allowed me to be successful. As far as forgetting things, I learned at a super young age to put everything I'll have to remember in my path or within sight of me before leaving. Everything HAS to have a consistent set place or it might as well be counted as gone.

I went to get diagnosed beacuse I hate having to work 2-3x as hard as everyone else to concentrate. If I didn't constantly put off larger/harder tasks in favor of the easier ones and if I didn't get distracted so easily by the internet and pretty much anything else, I'd be super successful. I've always worked very fast with good results. This resulted in me getting in a TON of trouble growing up for finishing quickly and then talking and distracting everyone else. My 5th grade teacher got it; she let me play Kings Quest Jr and Carmen Sandiego on the PC Jr when I finished my work and I really think something that small is what got me interested in computers and it kept me from distracting other kids.

Its funny to read about the Internet and losing time on it stories on here. I started out on the internet at 11pm looking up ADHD doctors and neurotherapy (which i'm super interested in) and now its almost 1am...this happens at least 3-4x/week and totally cramps my sleeping style!!

In reading through symptoms on here, i'm consistent with random thinking, mild impulsiveness that I've been able to mostly control with opportune rational thinking at that moment, inability to focus initially but once i get going i'm hyperfocused. The larger I view the task and the more I want to do it, the more i tend to put it off. so weird!

ok so thats it for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonBauer View Post
My workplace is sometimes conducive to ADD, most times not. I work in television. There is a lot of hurry-up and wait, then a flurry of activity followed by a lull in the action, then busy again with my attention pulled in several directions with more than a few things to keep track of.
It's the down time that drives me crazy. I can't relax. I read, do crossword puzzles, try to talk shop or sports with others around me but not too good at that kind of thing. All the while feeling anxious and even guilty that I should/could be doing something more productive. Like the projects at home that I've started but are in various stages of completion. Seems the job is always getting in the way of my personal life.
At the end of the day I often feel worthless. (Then arrive home to the room with the paint, brushes and ladder sitting there and the powder room that just needs the tile installed.) My boss hasn't said anything, good or bad, to me which leaves me wondering where I stand. Maybe he gets it that this is the way the job goes and I just can't get used to it. And I've been there almost 25 years!
Now I've lost interest in typing. But do look forward to ideas and suggestions.
Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daddywarbux For This Useful Post:
Addr68 (04-05-10), lil.zebra (02-01-09)
Old 12-27-08, 08:21 PM

Hoksteren is on a distinguished road

Yeah that f.... Outlook. When I use a calender, give me 10 days and it looks like Godzilla wrote the todo-list.
Old 12-28-08, 12:30 AM

sheneedstorest will become famous soon enough

PRELUDE31:

I also am diagnosed with NVLD. I have no idea what it means and what impact it has on me. I haven't found much info on it either. How does it affect you?
Old 01-29-09, 09:03 PM
Contributor

kettish will become famous soon enough

I enjoyed working in the military because of my ADD. After I was discharged for back problems though the only other jobs I've ever done is waitressing.

Yeah. It sucks. I'm going to school but the only places that'll hire me right now are restaurants because that's the only thing I have experience and ability in. It's very distracting, very noisy, very much a multi-tasking priority-setting heck of a workplace. But it's all I have so it'll have to do for now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kettish For This Useful Post:
addcolin (07-06-11), Addr68 (04-05-10), anotheradder (06-02-15)