ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 01-14-11, 05:09 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

buggie is just really nicebuggie is just really nicebuggie is just really nicebuggie is just really nice
Re: Surviving ADHD in the Workplace

I think the problems mentioned here are definitely important, but I've been thinking about a lot of other workplace problems that don't get as much attention.

-taking longer to process information (thus looking stupid or "wasting" time)
-less ability to deceive or embellish
-the need to be doing something else, like fidgeting, doodling or listening to music, while working or thinking, thus making you look "unprofessional"
-the urge to be defiant (really a huge issue in a traditional work place )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buggie For This Useful Post:
addcolin (07-06-11), Unmanagable (06-04-11)
Old 04-27-11, 11:35 PM

Working2Change will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by twalsh03 View Post
oh goodness, this was so much help to read!

I'm having so much trouble with work lately and no one in my office seems to understand that I am not irresponsible -- my brain just works a little differently!

I just got this email from my supervisor this morning, so I'm freaking out a bit:

"I will inform you that Ann-Marie and myself are concerned that you are slipping back into behaviors that we had talked about last year. It's all little stuff like coming in late, pto admin, losing keys, etc. but it does affect business. We may have to talk if it continues. As we've discussed before, following simple admin procedures are important. I'd also remind you that we had discussed communicating more with myself and the rest of the staff verbally instead of always im'ing and emailing. You seem to be back to the nonverbal communication. Your work is excellent but this other stuff definitely affects productivity and everybody else. I just wanted to give you a heads up now so that we avoid any future "reprimands"(for lack of a better word).

If you need to talk about anything or take time off to straighten stuff out, let me know. thanks"

ouch.

I am so glad I have these boards for resources... and to know I am really not the only one out there with a head full of chaos!
So sorry to hear this - I was often in the same position before I got on meds. Then of course it was a journey to find the right meds,and the right dosage. You might tell them you have some medical issues, and make an apptmt with your dr to discuss changing your meds or your dosage. It's horrible feeling like your supervisors are just making a list of things so they can eventually fire you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Working2Change For This Useful Post:
addcolin (07-06-11)
Old 04-29-11, 09:19 AM

out of control is on a distinguished road
Can my company fire me

I just got put on 18 month probation for makeing mistakes. My company knows I have add and I'm being treated for it. They docked me a days pay and there watching everything I do. My boss gave me a list of thing I need to work on with dead lines and if there not completed I will be terminated. Can they do that.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-11, 07:33 PM
Jr Member

angelstain is on a distinguished road

When I was in the workplace, I used to have two dry erase boards. I would list all of my priorities on one board and then put three priorities at a time on the other board. I would only focus on those three things and when they were complete, I would add three more. It really helped keep me on schedule. I managed an office so there were constant distractions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angelstain For This Useful Post:
addcolin (07-06-11), Padmafrench (06-04-11), petalwing (03-25-12)
Old 05-03-11, 12:46 AM

AniDragon is on a distinguished road

Any tips for retail workers? Specifically one in a leadership role? (i.e. Department head) Lately I feel as if I just can't juggle my responsibilities with customers, and when I try to focus on customers (which is the important bit, really), I get in trouble for falling behind on my responsibilites... Or else I'm given a long list of stuff to do, and end up forgetting ONE thing, and it's usually the most important one to do.

I try to write things down as much as I can, but I'm forgetting to do this more and more. As if the harder I try, the more forgetfull I get. And I just don't know how to get around this.
Old 05-08-11, 03:47 PM

feelme03 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keppig View Post
If anyone has any other suggestions or even other problems could you share them with us?
One problem I have at work is the distraction my co-workers do, the laughing, giggling, flinging of rubber bands, playing weird sounds on their computers (Such as beaker from Muppets), talking loud on their cell phones.
If they are doing some of those things, they aren't working now are they? My best advice is white noise, can you where headphones and listen to background music or any kind of noise like the sound of the ocean? My worse pet peeve is people chewing, OMG! Or opening up a bag of chips, it is so irritating. Sitting in front of someone at a theater crunching pop corn, lol, . Why am I this way?????
The Following User Says Thank You to feelme03 For This Useful Post:
addcolin (07-06-11)
Old 05-24-11, 12:39 AM

crogger4321 is on a distinguished road

I am also having this same issue at work. I work in a very fast paced health care social services position I am constantly having interruptions, a talkative office mate, and a boss who does not trust me. I also have ever changing due dates and deadlines that I have to meet daily. I am appearing irresponsible right now because I have missed a few and my boss has called me at home to come back. I am nervous about this situation I have called my employee eap and got a referral for assistance which will hopefully lead me to doctor who can diagnosis me with add.
The Following User Says Thank You to crogger4321 For This Useful Post:
anotheradder (06-02-15)
Old 06-28-11, 01:30 PM

ChristinaBobina is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Surviving ADHD in the Workplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plast View Post
Hello All,

I have the biggest problem figuring out what my priorities are at work. I work in an environment that constantly throws new issues at me all day and I have to re-prioritize depending on which ones are "hot". This makes it really hard for me to start my day. I sit here, staring at my screen with my mind racing about what I should start working on. But I stress out because I don't feel sure of my decision and my mind starts wandering to the other issues.

Any suggestions on how to not let all the thoughts in my head stress me out so much? I get to the point where I'm in the middle of researching something and my mind says "Oh, what about this issue!!!" and I move onto the next issue. I end up not getting much done at all and I beat myself up.

I'm trying to retrain my brain and get some structure, but the thoughts are powerful and consuming.
This is tough. Glad I'm not alone.

Thanks,
Paul

This is not an ingenious recommendation or anything, but I find that making a quick list helps. I know it sounds simple, but I swear the things that make it work for me are 1: Making boxes next to each item that look like bullet points but can be checked as the tasks are completed, and 2: The fact that if I have it out of my head and written down it both looks more easy to tackle and it makes it easier to prioritzie.

For example, if I feel like I have 20 things to handle and my mind is stressfully wandering, then I write down the 5-6 things (the # may vary for you) that are the most vital, knowing I can move on once those are accomplished. Of course, as I begin to write them down, my intention is to write them down in order of priority, but sometimes once they are written, it becomes clear that it would make more sense to handle one before another, at which point, if it helps you can always number them.

I have often heard that you should tackle your biggest projects (or the ones you dread the most) first but do not find it always works best for me... sometimes if I have 6 things on my desk the biggest one makes sense to do last because smaller ones might be able to be completed in a few minutes each, leaving me with a clearer mind to devote to the larger project, more brain-consuming project.

It helps me to allow myself to some degree to take on which project I am capable of at any given time... my attention threshhold varies throughout the day and more than anything, feeling capable and accomplished affect my ability to take on my next project, so it is often most efficient for me to do the project first which I am most capable of.

If you are going to spend an hour stressing, you might as well spend that hour doign soem little things getting something done, building your confidence and creating space in the to-do list in your mind for the bigger projects.

Hope the listing helps!! : ) Here's my humorous (hopefully to you too!) example:

[ ] Figure out my tasks for the day (1)
[ ] Check email (2)
[ ] Actually read long involved emails which require concentration and possible follow up (5)
[ ] Simple phone calls that require 15 minutes but should be easy (3)
[ ] Filing paperwork (4)

See, three ended up being five, but that's okay! I'll feel more refreshed when I tackle it!
The Following User Says Thank You to ChristinaBobina For This Useful Post:
addcolin (07-06-11)
Old 07-01-11, 04:12 PM
Jr Member

FidgetyDigits is on a distinguished road

Some more tips:

1. Schedule meetings to review your work. This might make you finish it so you're not a total *** when you show up.
2. Find "accountability partners" at your job who can help motivate you and check in with you about your work. Not to mother you, but to give you a little kick when you need it. You can give this back; people will find it valuable.
3. Map everything out. I'm a mindmap fan, but some people prefer lists; others like GANTT charts..
Old 07-06-11, 05:19 AM

addcolin has disabled reputation
Lightbulb Re: Surviving ADHD in the Workplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyDigits View Post
Some more tips:
3. Map everything out. I'm a mindmap fan, but some people prefer lists; others like GANTT charts..
Found a program for 'arranging your mind', called FreeMind. Can replace Wordpad etc (rtf), but is intuitive to use, for me, anyway. Found I could really write at random!, without losing my train of thought - too easy to do!
Program free on internet, of course!
Hope this helps
Old 08-27-11, 10:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

danpan is just really nicedanpan is just really nicedanpan is just really nicedanpan is just really nice

I work in a hectic environment where new issues are always being thrown my way. My work is a sedentary desk job, but my coworkers are constantly on their feet, rustling through cabinets, and just generally making all kinds of noise.

I cope by using music... typically classical, as lyrics will distract me.
I cope by asking my manager for a priority on nearly everything that comes in.

In cases where I do not have a clear priority, I prioritize, without apology, based on what I want to do, because it will keep me motivated and result in overall increased productivity.

I make deals with myself. I will do what I want to do this hour, but then I must return to what is expected of me. The net result is more productivity, and extra, unexpected goodies / projects completed for the company or added to a project. I find rational explanations to give management after the fact.

Other times, my professionalism gets in the way. Management wants it quick and dirty, and I want it powerful, flexible, extensible, and organized. When I just can't find a way to hyperfocus, sometimes I have to let go and allow myself to do it ADHD style, which in the end is what management wants anyway, oddly enough.

I email myself with important tasks, or sometimes as a delaying tactic + ADHD cope, I request my manager or whoever is requesting work to do it for me, then forget about it. If they don't send the message, that's my fallback for not having it done.

I make a lot of lists. I try to visualize myself performing whatever task I need to complete, and then I write down whatever steps I need to complete to finish it. Sometimes they're detailed, and sometimes they're incredibly vague--whatever I can muster at the time. But physically writing it out, and then being able to cross things off of the list throughout the day gives me a clear agenda and a sense of satisfaction every time I slash through an item with my beloved red pen.

I do not do well jumping from project to project to project. I forget what I'm doing, lose momentum, motivation crashes, and my mind goes blank. I make full use of procedure and professionalism to delay new requests, or shifting priorities, long enough for me to finish up with whatever I'm doing--unless the new priority appears to be truly critical. I ask questions via email, request approval, anything and everything I can get away with to allow me to finish. If all else fails, I will appeal to my manager for extra time to finish what I'm working on. My excuse is that unfinished projects bother and distract me.

Hope this helps some of you.
The Following User Says Thank You to danpan For This Useful Post:
anotheradder (06-02-15)
Old 08-27-11, 10:16 PM

Matilda has disabled reputation

This has been great to read! I am really happy and relieved to find some other people stuggling with the same things. Hyper focused? I didn't even know what I was doing had a word! I have lists everywhere, sticky notes, e-mail reminders, files, folders...I even have to write the date on my palm when I first get to work because I forget!

My issue is that I am expected to answer the phone after 3 rings (meaning the receptionist did not get it) and we don't have voicemail! The phone rings constantly! It interrupts me all the time and DRIVES me CRAZY! Not only is it a distraction, but if the other person is not on reachable (where I am trying to transfer the call) I have to further talk with the caller asking "is this important, can I help? Can you call back?" No voicemail..so it goes on all day long! I am such a conceptual person, and I work in the medical field dealing with insurance (EXTREMELY COMPLICATED) there are so many layers and things to remember.

I have a 30 day action plan after being told all was fine for the last five mos. "If after the thirty days we don't see improvment, we can't say for sure if you will still have a job" WTF? I cried for three days and didn't sleep. That is what got me to finally make an apt. with the doctor as I have been told I might have ADD for years now. I have lost three AWESOME jobs from my brain's unique way of thinking (trying to be positive here)..there HAS to be a way for me to do this!
“Life can be found only in the present moment. The past is gone, the future is not yet here, and if we do not go back to ourselves in the present moment, we cannot be in touch with life.” Thich Nhat Hanh quote

Last edited by ginniebean; 08-28-11 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: edited for spacing
Old 09-14-11, 04:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

blgw99 will become famous soon enough

Does anyone have any tips for auditory processing/listening skills?

I just started with a telemarketing job and I'm actually remotely satisfied with it - part time, starts at noon, decent product. I even managed to get over the phone anxiety in the first few days. I know what to say, but I have problem with timing, talking too fast and listening properly. Has anyone came to same issues and thought of any good tips to get past it?
Old 10-11-11, 08:24 PM

Spirals is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgw99 View Post
Does anyone have any tips for auditory processing/listening skills?

I just started with a telemarketing job and I'm actually remotely satisfied with it - part time, starts at noon, decent product. I even managed to get over the phone anxiety in the first few days. I know what to say, but I have problem with timing, talking too fast and listening properly. Has anyone came to same issues and thought of any good tips to get past it?
I've done telesales (and should be getting back into it soon). Might some of those things be because you're a little nervous? It might help to imagine that the person you're calling is a friend or relative you get along well with (as long as you don't call them by your friends' or relatives' names, heh).

It takes a little while to get used to as well.
Old 10-20-11, 05:39 PM

atrain24 is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Surviving ADHD in the Workplace

I also agree that priortizing at work is hard for me as well. What helps is by creating a checklist for each person I have to see while working and check off what I have completed so the next time I go I just start from where I leave off.
The Following User Says Thank You to atrain24 For This Useful Post:
Padmafrench (04-28-12)