ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 08-28-09, 11:42 PM

Mind Every Ware is on a distinguished road
Re: Is ADHD Interfering With Your Career?

jobs + I don't know if it is the ADHD that helps me learn new jobs and carrers and or hobbies, OR is it the ADHD, that makes ME change so many jobs, Hobbies , carrers. Up till I was about 38 I only had really three or four jobs ( including two own business's), but since about 38 , I've been several things, and had way diff jobs. i have been a Journymen sheet-metalman, Bodyman, Tattoo artist, apprrentisshiped on rebuilding starters and aults, silk screen printer, Warehouse worker,Got into retail, am now a Manager, of sporting goods store, and am wondering what i want to be when I grow up. I give my Wife all the credit for staying around, and putting up with me, she can step back and see me and my mind all over the place, I believe that this thing called ADHD has given me so much and I never ever stop thinking that at moments notice it can take it all away, if I let it go. People who don't have ADHD, can not realize what I ( we) have to go through to just do what they can do so easy. It is so nice now that the drugs can taken away most of the Chatter in my head, so at times now I can realx and realize that the only thing that just went through my mind was about the work I was involved with at that moment. Although it is nice and has always been so nice to think to fast,,, often so fast I finish there thoughts in my head and have already moved onto the next topic in my head.. ( yup your right not always a good thing)
The Following User Says Thank You to Mind Every Ware For This Useful Post:
Addr68 (09-27-09)
Old 09-04-09, 09:47 PM

Mind Every Ware is on a distinguished road

Lost it at work on sept 3 . G0t to so Mad. Not sure why I'm so good for so long then it builds and it builds and I lose it. I go back on sunday sept 6. Gonna be interesting how those around me treat me, as I was mad man. The way I acted I would never talk to myself. Not sure if that out burst will have to be another new start to a new job and career. I have started the first set after 48 years , t get the med's but I know that I still need help and still have a very long journey a head of me. I know I need help from a pro. Someone that can explain to me how I need to react when the whole world seems to close in. The med's also seemed to sooth the inner head Chatter. and the restless leg movement. But I still deep inside thing I haver to do so much extra work and be every thing to everyone. And, And, all that seems to do after time is takes it toll on me and run me down and I get so tired to be every thing to all.. and IT IS NOT there fault at all.. it sems apperrntly to my wife it is all my fault, that is my own fault that I have taught everyone at work that I'm the " to go too guy". They all trust me so much and I seem to step forward and give them my trust, and after a while it builds up and I LOSE it.
This time I lost it on a lady that is pure evel BUT ,, I say " BUT" she did not deserve the way I got mad at her..

I don't don't if I'am more ashammed that this happened again in my life or that if I don't get propper help and talk to someone that it will happen again..........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mind Every Ware For This Useful Post:
addcolin (06-24-11), Addr68 (09-27-09)
Old 09-27-09, 11:52 AM

golferguy is on a distinguished road

I have ADD and I am a computer/network support/project manager. I was off of my medicine for about 9 years until recently. Before, I would start working on one machine at my desk and then go get another and start that one and then check the stock market and look at the sports scores, check email, go get coffee eventually get back to the first ticket I started working on earlier that day. I feel like my mind is going a mile a minute at full speed. I found recently that I was unmotivated and felt like I wasn't getting much done and would get easily distracted. That's when I got back on my medicine and in this past week I have noticed a huge difference. I am hoping this will allow me to focus more on certifications and studying for exams as well. None of my coworkers have commented on any of this but it was something that started getting to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to golferguy For This Useful Post:
Addr68 (09-27-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-09, 07:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,158 Posts
Addr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
This is new - I started using it rather than fighting it.
I have to "multitask" (this office vocab annoys me by the way) but I would try and do things in a certain order. Now, I do the urgent priorities and then whatever comes to mind, I usually have 4 things going on at once.
Off topic I apologise..stef, It's been almost a year since we've posted on this thread. Amazing wooohoooo. We've been posting left and right and giving and receiving help...I'm glad we found this community

Back on topic: stef how the plan coming along with mulit tasking and setting prioties...This is your one year eval lol
"We all have such a Ring: it forms the foundations of our Dark Tower, namely the Ego, the false self. Our Quest, like Frodo's and Sam's, is to renounce the Ring and be rid of the hold it has over us...."
Tolkien
Old 10-01-09, 01:00 AM
Jr Member

IwishIwasslow is on a distinguished road

Well Until about a year ago i was making money with my entrepreneurial efforts. But now its all washed up. Im at zero, dollars perday. It wasn't functioning but now im taking time to figure out what my problem is or was (it wasn't lack of motivation or self discipline) that caused the disorder that lost me a cushy JV @ 60$ per hour...
Old 04-21-10, 06:31 AM
Jr Member

englishadder is on a distinguished road

I was with the same employer for 3 years, did the job well but was very bored and it took me a lot longer to do the same job as my co-workers. I cahnged job just before xmas, last 2 months before I realised I wasn't able to adjust properly (and my rigid way of doing things and inability to adjust) made it the right time for me to leave. I considered going back to my previous job but tried somewhere else once more. I was left to my own devices, with no targets and no structure in place and I suddenly found myself in a whirlwind. I was doing silly things and got myself into a lot of trouble and finally they fired me yesterday... I have spoken to my 3yr employer and it looks like they will acept me back so should be starting on monday.

Do other people have the problem adjusting in new roles, learning their new processes etc or is it just me? ? It is so annoying... I always have a feeling that I don't belong and I don't know how to fix it
Old 05-02-10, 12:58 AM

Sedanpilot is on a distinguished road

i find it amazing that some people actually KNOW what they want to do. i feel like i have some boundary conditions - make enough money for my family, something with VARIETY, something with some measure of control over own destiny, definitely motivated by rewards and bonuses rather than security. seems like some kind of entrepreneurship, but havent figured that part out yet.
Old 05-25-10, 04:29 PM

uhlaneuh is on a distinguished road

I cant believe how much ADD/ADHD has impacted my work life. I find myself doing one job then moving to something else without finishing the next, and I'll find myself not being able to understand things, it takes me a while to learn. "Encoding" is what my Dr. calls it. I'll finally understand after a couple of weeks. Makes me really frustrated and depressed, and REALLY makes me feel incredibly dumb. I hope cognitive therapy works.
Old 08-13-10, 11:47 AM

ADDictive_714 is on a distinguished road

Great article! I just wanted to add something that I felt would help, too. One factor for me was considering WHAT work structure I wanted. I couldn't work FOR someone, because I felt pressured to perform at his/her speed, a certain number of tasks at a time, etc. It wasn't that I COULDN'T, but the choice for me always was: a) hurry up and get several jobs done, but at a speed where I couldn't double-check the quality of my work or b) do my work at my own pace so I can ensure it's done right. I chose the latter, and I am now self-employed.

Some of you may want to consider working for YOU! It was the best decision I ever made. You can set your own schedule. You can take vacations whenever you want. There are guidelines you must follow, but if it's something that works well for you, it's a great avenue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADDictive_714 For This Useful Post:
aystro (07-17-11), firstdesserts (08-13-10)
Old 08-13-10, 12:05 PM

ADDictive_714 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlaneuh View Post
I cant believe how much ADD/ADHD has impacted my work life. I find myself doing one job then moving to something else without finishing the next, and I'll find myself not being able to understand things, it takes me a while to learn. "Encoding" is what my Dr. calls it. I'll finally understand after a couple of weeks. Makes me really frustrated and depressed, and REALLY makes me feel incredibly dumb. I hope cognitive therapy works.
You are NOT dumb! I got fired six times before I found my current job. It's trial and error. You are not alone in feeling ashamed about your mistakes. I feel that way, too. When it comes to self-actualization, I beat myself up quite a bit, because you want to show everyone you're competent, intelligent, and can do the work. I'll bet there are tons of subjects/ideas you can encode quickly. What kind of jobs have you had? What do you enjoy doing?
Old 01-13-11, 11:47 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

buggie is just really nicebuggie is just really nicebuggie is just really nicebuggie is just really nice

I really don't know why exactly ADHD has interfered so much with my career, but I know it most certainly has. All I know is that I feel like a failure even though I have tried so hard to always do the "right" thing. I've worked hard all my life, but when it comes to jobs, I'm always wrong, there's always something about my work my bosses don't like, even if they can't be specific, I'm always the one getting laid off, I'm always the one taking a step back when I do get a new job, I'm always the one feeling like my job doesn't satisfy me. I haven't forgotten client meetings or lost important documents or done things like that that people usually associate with ADHD, I just somehow don't fit, and it's so frustrating because I feel like I don't know what's going on and therefore can't fix it.
Old 02-21-11, 02:32 PM

tigsybear is on a distinguished road

Ahhhh the older I get the worse my ADHD seems to get worse =(
or maybe it's the same as ever but I'm more panicky now since I am getting older and I hate feeling I haven't accomplished much.

I actually managed to build a decent resume in my 20s but I have to thank needing a work visa until I got my greencard in the US. That helped me stay with my employer for 4 years since I had no choice then LOL.
After I got my greencard I switched between jobs way too much. My own mother is worried why I do it. I tell her I have ADHD but she doesn't know too much about it.

I'll be 30 in 6 months. I want to use the good side of ADHD and hyper-focus like mad in the coming 6 months and get my freelance writing business going really well so I'll have reason to celebrate on my 30th bday this year
Old 02-26-11, 11:12 PM
Jr Member

Boradis is on a distinguished road

I feel like it's effectively scuttled mine. The only positions that I've been successful at so far were on the graveyard shift and every time I've gotten out in the light of day things collapsed. I've had two positions where I worked nights for four and two years respectively, but it's impossible to have a social life like that, and I really don't want to spend the rest of my life alone.

Also, while the article at the beginning of this thread was good at describing the issues facing people like myself, I felt two pieces of the advice weren't that useful.

Specifically:

"2. Create a to-do list each day. Plan your activities and check them off as you accomplish them. Make a log of people to call and set aside time for this activity daily."

If I could organize myself by simply deciding to do so then I wouldn't have a problem.

This was obviously written by someone who doesn't have a problem with organization. I suspect doctors (such as the article's author) have a hard time wrapping their head around the organization issue since it's so second nature to them. They work in a profession in which disorganization can cost someone their life, so it attracts naturally organized people and drills them to be even better at it.

"8. Network effectively."

It's easy to say "stop being socially awkward," but after more than 40 years of trying I've found this to be fairly impossible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boradis For This Useful Post:
addcolin (06-24-11)
Old 02-27-11, 12:48 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boradis View Post
I feel like it's effectively scuttled mine. The only positions that I've been successful at so far were on the graveyard shift and every time I've gotten out in the light of day things collapsed. I've had two positions where I worked nights for four and two years respectively, but it's impossible to have a social life like that, and I really don't want to spend the rest of my life alone.

Also, while the article at the beginning of this thread was good at describing the issues facing people like myself, I felt two pieces of the advice weren't that useful.

Specifically:

"2. Create a to-do list each day. Plan your activities and check them off as you accomplish them. Make a log of people to call and set aside time for this activity daily."

If I could organize myself by simply deciding to do so then I wouldn't have a problem.

This was obviously written by someone who doesn't have a problem with organization. I suspect doctors (such as the article's author) have a hard time wrapping their head around the organization issue since it's so second nature to them. They work in a profession in which disorganization can cost someone their life, so it attracts naturally organized people and drills them to be even better at it.

"8. Network effectively."

It's easy to say "stop being socially awkward," but after more than 40 years of trying I've found this to be fairly impossible.
I haven't read the OPs original post, but I can answer this one. Making to do lists is very possible, even though challenging. It's very effective in helping me accomplish daily duties. As a result, I'm far less worrried about my life and maintaining it.

I find that networking is about momentum. I meet someone get their name and get there phone number. I have not always been this way, but I've learned to get around the feelings associated with ADD.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 03-12-11, 08:14 AM

carepharmarx is on a distinguished road

I am new to these forums i liked ur forum very much it helped me in getting my job thanks keep posting..