ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 08-19-08, 05:23 PM

Aris is on a distinguished road
Any other adult Accountant(s) with ADHD

Hello and Greetings to all,

I am new to this online stuff. Also I just joined. I "REALLY" wonder if there are any 'Accountants out there with ADD or ADHD ?' And if so, HOW do you handle this ........ ?
Aris
The Following User Says Thank You to Aris For This Useful Post:
425runner (11-02-12)
Old 08-19-08, 07:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jackinbox is on a distinguished road
Re: Any other adult Accountant(s) with ADHD

Accounting must be the most anti-adhd job on earth. I can't imagine my self doing that.
Old 08-20-08, 04:54 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,271 Times in 8,601 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

As an independent tax advisor I did quite a few jobs for accounting firms. Their adherence to rules and regulations and their unchanging daily routines appeared quite stifling for me.
As an illustration I can compare two different bookkeeping firms I did jobs for.
One was an "ordinary" bookkeeper without the special rules that go with being a certified accountant.
The other was a similar sized real certified accountant.
I noticed that the accountant had a very strict and regulated mode of operation, even though its director was actually one of the more liberal types. The staff was very much representative of the NT baseline.
They actually spent several months preparing for an inspection by their own branch organization, rather than doing their real work.

The bookkeeper was far more flexible in the way they operated. It made for an altogether much more ADD friendly environment. I very much prefer working for that office.
It is a great deal more relaxing.
Old 08-20-08, 07:59 AM
Contributor

NickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of light

HA HA welcome to my world. Just trying to get by. Not making that six figure salary which I should be at my age due to lets say an 'unstable job history'.

How do you get by?? Well, just have to adjust the med cocktail -- Prozac with Neurontin + Adderall / Vyvanase.
The Following User Says Thank You to NickL30 For This Useful Post:
425runner (11-02-12)
Old 08-20-08, 09:37 AM
ADDvanced Member

r2d2 will become famous soon enough

i am coming up to my 10th year of my accountancy profession and it has been a very rewarding and enjoyable experience!

firstly though it must be pointed out that the traditional role of the accountant is long gone - no more is the brown pin stripe suit, pens in the front jacket pocket, only doing book keeping and taxes, with no social skills etc etc

To define what an accountant is in this current business environment would be hard - sure there are still the traditional roles of statutory accounting, financial accounting, management accounting, tax accounting and so on however the profession has had to adapt to the changing legislative, regulatory and global business environment that new exciting roles have emerged!

I haven't balanced and account, posted journals, prepared a tax return or even mentioned the word debit or credit since graduating from university!

I bet if I described to a person what activities I have been doing over the last 10 years without mentioning the profession that they would have to guess a few times before they got it right!

My accounting career has been all about process re-engineering, process improvement and business controls. Basically I work with the business to identify risks/areas for improvement, assist with new projects to ensure risk controls are in place and to ensure the business is supported with sound governance.

I have been lucky enough to work & live all over the world, work for some of the biggest global corporations, meet some of the most amazing people, get involved in some very interesting projects and more importantly, enjoy what I do!

Believe it or not I contribute part of my success to my ADHD! I know my thought processes work differently to the majority of people which helps me to think outside the box and tackle situations with a different logic. Being spontaneous can be a powerful tool when you are faced with any new and unknown issue.

However I do not pretend that ADHD doesn't present it's challenges in my career - oh no! not in the slightest!

It has been a constant struggle which has impact my health, family life and almost broken me many times! The procrastination, hyper focus, forgetfulness, inability to get across what I really mean, the frustration, the anger, the self doubt, self criticism....it is all there! The amount of times I know the exact reasons behind an issue yet fail to find the words the explain it to someone is simply crazy! But as time goes on you learn how to best deal with these traits.

I suppose this can apply for many other professions, however don’t just think of accountancy as numbers, accounting standards and sitting in an office all day! If it was then I would be the first to agree that a person with ADHD should stay well clear. You don’t need to be smart or top of your class to become an accountant – I was never interested in school, only just scraped through the basic subjects and found it extremely boring! After school I lazed around working casual jobs for about 5 years until again I grew bored and had a wild idea to study something – and here I am!

Being an accountant these days can offer exposure to almost every area of the global environment! I would have never lasted this long without the stimulation and the new challenges that my career delivers!

oh my! I just read what I wrote…sorry for the ramblings! Meds are working today haha!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to r2d2 For This Useful Post:
bammers (01-05-09), Dreaming Again (08-02-10), munky_do (07-07-11), namazu (08-27-11), phantasm (11-02-12)
Old 08-20-08, 09:48 PM
Contributor

NickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of light

My accounting career has been all about process re-engineering, process improvement and business controls. Basically I work with the business to identify risks/areas for improvement, assist with new projects to ensure risk controls are in place and to ensure the business is supported with sound governance.

I have been lucky enough to work & live all over the world, work for some of the biggest global corporations, meet some of the most amazing people, get involved in some very interesting projects and more importantly, enjoy what I do!

I wish I could do that. Unfortunately, I have been stuck in boring accounting jobs for mutual fund type companies that involve 'ticking, tying & reconciling', stuff that can drive you crazy. My inability to focus,and do stuff with 100% accuracy has led me to get fired many times. But companies want exact experience for whatever they are hiring for.

I want to change careers. I realize that I cannot stand sitting at the same desk for 8-10 hours a day straight every day doing this monotonous work. ADHD meds have given me a buzz but they really didn't do much in improving performance on the job
425runner (11-02-12)
Old 08-21-08, 03:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

r2d2 will become famous soon enough

NickL30 - i totally appreciate the impact such monotonous work can do brains like ours!

You obviously have the skills/qualifications behind you along with years of experience in fund management and the financial services industry. Dont under estimate how powerful this is for steering your accounting career to a role that is more suit for you.

Finding the right role will provide that stimulation and let your professional abilities perform at their best.

Have you ever thought about a short period as an auditor in the professional services? this could be a good stepping stone into the right job for you.

Auditing gives you exposure to many different companies, different environments and different industries.

Not only would this reduce the boredom of sitting at the same desk every day but it also puts you in front of potential employers!

Not everyone steps straight into their ideal job the first time - I have had 7 different employers over the last 10 years! Remember that your next move may not be the ideal one but treat it as an important stepping stone that will allow you to eventually get there, gathering invaluable experience along the way.

Displaying confidence and demonstrating that you have a clear understanding of what you want from your career is often more appealing to employers than just experience written down on paper

I wish you all the best mate
Old 08-23-08, 07:13 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ProcrastN8R2 is just really niceProcrastN8R2 is just really niceProcrastN8R2 is just really niceProcrastN8R2 is just really nice

I am a CPA. It's worked out pretty well for me overall because I have been able to work a variety of jobs.

I worked in a smallish CPA firm, which was great because I had lots of clients, each with their own unique issues. I was an auditor, plus I did the tax returns for my audit clients. Having several clients in a variety of businesses and doing both audit and tax work meant I never had to get too bored working on just one thing all the time. Also, I mostly worked on my own, so I set my own pace, etc. My clients liked me - several told me "You just don't seem like an accountant!"

Also, the hours were good - I got paid for the hours I worked and it didn't really matter when I worked them. I came in sometime between 8:00 and 9:00, left for lunch around 2:00 or 3:00 and stayed as late as I needed to. If I had errands or things to do during the day, I just left and did them. If I needed to go work at a client's office, I went. I set my own schedule entirely.

Eventually, I left the CPA world for the corporate world (and more money!) and keeping regular hours (8:00-5:00 with a one hour lunch from 12:00 - 1:00) was the hardest thing for me to get used to!! I have not really succeeded yet, but most of my bosses have been pretty lenient about it.

In the corporate world, I've had 6 jobs in the last 8 years. I've worked in internal audit, corporate finance, compliance, and risk management. The good news is that all of my job changes have been in the same company, and all have been upward. In each job, I had something interesting to do, new challenges and things to learn, and just as I was getting bored with it, another job became available. Many departments perceive me as valuable because I have such wide exposure all over the company.

Although I am a CPA and I call myself an accountant, I have never actually worked as a "staff accountant" in the sense of having to sit at a desk and do the same monthly journal entries and account reconcilations all day. I know that would drive me nuts! I have always been in the role of consultant/auditor/analyst or done special projects.

For me, that's what makes being a CPA compatible with ADHD. I get to do lots of different things and I get to move on when I am bored. I admit that having ADHD makes it hard sometimes to buckle down when I need to, but when I am hyperfocus mode, I am a dynamo. Too bad I just can't find the switch to turn it on when I want to!

Also, having ADHD means that my analysis of an issue will have a bit of a different twist on it than than typical. I see connections between things that others didn't think of, and I research far and wide into whatever aspect of the project interests me. Once my brain grabs hold of an idea, I'll follow it down whatever rabbit hole it leads me. That's why I have been able to be a successful auditor/analyst of whatever project I am working on.

Having said all that though, my ADHD has gotten me into some serious problems at work in the past. But that is for another thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to ProcrastN8R2 For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-27-11)
Old 01-05-09, 09:16 PM
Jr Member

bammers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2d2 View Post
i am coming up to my 10th year of my accountancy profession and it has been a very rewarding and enjoyable experience!

firstly though it must be pointed out that the traditional role of the accountant is long gone - no more is the brown pin stripe suit, pens in the front jacket pocket, only doing book keeping and taxes, with no social skills etc etc

To define what an accountant is in this current business environment would be hard - sure there are still the traditional roles of statutory accounting, financial accounting, management accounting, tax accounting and so on however the profession has had to adapt to the changing legislative, regulatory and global business environment that new exciting roles have emerged!

I haven't balanced and account, posted journals, prepared a tax return or even mentioned the word debit or credit since graduating from university!

I bet if I described to a person what activities I have been doing over the last 10 years without mentioning the profession that they would have to guess a few times before they got it right!

Believe it or not I contribute part of my success to my ADHD! I know my thought processes work differently to the majority of people which helps me to think outside the box and tackle situations with a different logic. Being spontaneous can be a powerful tool when you are faced with any new and unknown issue.

However I do not pretend that ADHD doesn't present it's challenges in my career - oh no! not in the slightest!

It has been a constant struggle which has impact my health, family life and almost broken me many times! The procrastination, hyper focus, forgetfulness, inability to get across what I really mean, the frustration, the anger, the self doubt, self criticism....it is all there! The amount of times I know the exact reasons behind an issue yet fail to find the words the explain it to someone is simply crazy! But as time goes on you learn how to best deal with these traits.

I suppose this can apply for many other professions, however don’t just think of accountancy as numbers, accounting standards and sitting in an office all day! If it was then I would be the first to agree that a person with ADHD should stay well clear. You don’t need to be smart or top of your class to become an accountant – I was never interested in school, only just scraped through the basic subjects and found it extremely boring! After school I lazed around working casual jobs for about 5 years until again I grew bored and had a wild idea to study something – and here I am!

Being an accountant these days can offer exposure to almost every area of the global environment! I would have never lasted this long without the stimulation and the new challenges that my career delivers!

oh my! I just read what I wrote…sorry for the ramblings! Meds are working today haha!
Thank God I found this posting! :-) I will be completing my accounting degree in 8 months and should have enough hours to sit for the CPA exam. I have 3 years of experience doing bookkeeping/AP/AR for a law firm so I kind of have a feel for the accounting field already, but know the possibilities are endless with an education in Accounting...I think I may wanna go down the auditor route since I'm good at hyperfocusing on details, but we shall see...thanks for inspiring me! :-)
Old 01-06-09, 12:35 AM
Contributor

ADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of light

I have an accounting degree and worked for 13 years as an auditor of governmental entities. When we moved 11 years ago, I took some time to stay at home with my son and later went back to work as a bookkeeper. I love working with numbers and analyzing information. I enjoy my job as a full-charge bookkeeper in a small business. The most important thing is to do what you like. If you like accounting, go for it. I don't know whether or not it makes a difference but I have the inattentive type of ADHD.

ADDMagnet
Old 08-23-11, 04:46 PM

spacecadet21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDMagnet View Post
I have an accounting degree and worked for 13 years as an auditor of governmental entities. When we moved 11 years ago, I took some time to stay at home with my son and later went back to work as a bookkeeper. I love working with numbers and analyzing information. I enjoy my job as a full-charge bookkeeper in a small business. The most important thing is to do what you like. If you like accounting, go for it. I don't know whether or not it makes a difference but I have the inattentive type of ADHD.

ADDMagnet
Hey ADDMagnet -

I am a Junior in college and looking at going into auditing or a White Collar Crime Division with the government. How did you get started working for the government? Thanks!
Old 08-24-11, 10:14 AM

onlyred is on a distinguished road

This is such an odd time for me to see this post. I was diagnosed last week at age 44 with ADHD, and have, in this economy, found myself working a strange liaison position as a purchasing agent AND accounts payable in a small coffee roasting company. I was the first person they chose to fill this combined position, and this is because of my background in a construction company doing this position by sheer coincidence. Boss too cheap to hire AP and the bookkeeper too lazy to do it, so I was volun-told. So at my coffee company, I did it and I did it well. I am not trained formally in either purchasing or AP so I've been lucky I've been taught on the job. It was easy for me to pick up at this company, because it is essentially data entry. ie: boring. Fortunately the purchasing aspect of the job made things more interesting. I did get bogged down at times and fall behind but mostly only due to surges in seasonal business, though I can not understate my lack of desire to file, my lack of desire to sort mail and my lack of desire to sort though all those invoices and maintain an organized system. I did rather enjoy the YAY I DID IT feeling when I was fully caught up, so that made it a bit easier to face it all.

Sadly, our 109 year old company was liquidated last week, right after my diagnosis. I met with an employment firm who wants to highlight my AP skills (?!) so I was assigned an AP test on Prove It! which I did poorly on. I found a site on the internet that teaches accounting and started studying. Thanks to the Concerta, I was able to learn a lot, and also to discover to my absolute shock that I was interested in learning more. I managed to pull my score up to an 86 on a retest (bless that employment agency for that opportunity!) instead of just complaining that the test was more accounting oriented than AP oriented, which would be my normal response. Quit. Do something else.

I am considering going to school for accounting classes now, because the sheer drudgery of entering invoice after invoice and then filing them all, only to start over again the next day, is mind numbing. The math portion is more interesting to me. I did very well in math in school, until algebra, when it all fell apart, so I feel like I might be able to do this. I don't know why I feel like I am on the fence about this with uncertainty and actual fear, but it's the first time something has interested me enough that I'd consider going to school for it. In my life. Crazy, huh? Thanks for this thread!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onlyred For This Useful Post:
425runner (11-02-12), namazu (08-27-11)
Old 08-24-11, 07:57 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

I have an accounting degree and failed all parts of the CPA exam. I get very annoyed by noises, temperature in the room etc. so it makes it hard to sit through 4 hours of test and stay focused. Anyway...when I was working for a small firm I was bored...they wouldn't let me do more because I made mistakes..unwillingly of course.

At this point I'm not really sure if I want to be a CPA and work 80hr weeks during the busy season. Looking to explore the corporate world...
Old 08-24-11, 09:52 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425runner View Post
I have an accounting degree and failed all parts of the CPA exam. I get very annoyed by noises, temperature in the room etc. so it makes it hard to sit through 4 hours of test and stay focused. Anyway...when I was working for a small firm I was bored...they wouldn't let me do more because I made mistakes..unwillingly of course.

At this point I'm not really sure if I want to be a CPA and work 80hr weeks during the busy season. Looking to explore the corporate world...
I passed 3 parts of the CPA exam but unemployable in the field because of a terrible work history.... Recruiters have told me that I am wasting my time because no one will hire me at my age (36) with a poor work history and job coaches have suggested I just file for disability insurance.
425runner (11-02-12)
Old 08-27-11, 02:49 AM
Jr Member

Cantgoogleme is on a distinguished road

Accounting is a terrible job for anyone with ADHD. ESPECIALLY AUDIT! However, I think that being a sole-proprietor doing people's taxes or bookkeeping is an option. I can't speak for ADHD impulsive, but as someone who has ADHD-PI, I would strongly caution it. If you are smart in analytical work, for the ADHD-PI person, there is computer science or the hard sciences. I can imagine that would be an easier pursuit. Book learning I can do; Juggling multiple clients with erratic deadlines and poor training, I cannot do.

I was fired from my job as an auditor after 6 months. I spent a year of Masters work and passed the CPA exam. I struggled during the busy season, while one of my coworkers, this hick guy who didn't pass the CPA exam, did just fine.