ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 08-27-11, 02:51 AM
Jr Member

Cantgoogleme is on a distinguished road
Re: Any other adult Accountant(s) with ADHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL30 View Post
I passed 3 parts of the CPA exam but unemployable in the field because of a terrible work history.... Recruiters have told me that I am wasting my time because no one will hire me at my age (36) with a poor work history and job coaches have suggested I just file for disability insurance.
I am sorry to hear that. It really sucks and life is not fair. Why don't you trying something like teaching instead? I am considering that, comp sci, or one of the hard sciences (physics, chem).
Old 08-27-11, 09:15 AM

anxiousguy26 is on a distinguished road

I'm studying for the CPA now...how the F did you pass this thing? I feel worthless...
The Following User Says Thank You to anxiousguy26 For This Useful Post:
425runner (11-02-12)
Old 08-27-11, 01:59 PM
Jr Member

Cantgoogleme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiousguy26 View Post
I'm studying for the CPA now...how the F did you pass this thing? I feel worthless...
Use the Becker study guide, lock yourself up in a room, and make it your life.

Yea but seriously. I spent a good 10k on an accounting education, passed the CPA and this is the crap I get. I can't even use the designation bc I don't have the experience.

If you have ADHD or whatever, see if you like accounting for a few years before you take that thing. You are not worthless. It's an exam that you can pass as long as you study enough. It's difficult because of the breadth, not the depth.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-11, 06:42 PM
Contributor

NickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiousguy26 View Post
Passing it was easy... Finding a job (any job in accounting ) is impossible. Basically I wasted time & money
Old 08-31-11, 03:47 PM

shelby123 is on a distinguished road

I have a degree in Economics and somehow have fallen into my current "accounting" position. My job duties are quite varied since the company is small. I am allowed to work independently (very important) and decide what I want to work on for the day. It was my incompetence at this job that led me into getting diagnosed for ADHD. I was making errors left and right, not catching them - I was on the verge of being fired, but once I started meds, things really improved at least from my viewpoint. This certainly isn't my dream job, but I'm 41 and I don't think moving to Hollywood to be a movie star will really work out, what with the house, husband and kids! Ha! Maybe I can stand it because I can get away with procrastinating. Like I am right now.
Old 09-05-11, 05:45 PM

Nick: I'm the opposite, I have a job but need the CPA to move up. I'm using Becker passed two sections so far on the first try but I don't think I'll ever pass FAR...
Old 09-05-11, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantgoogleme View Post
Use the Becker study guide, lock yourself up in a room, and make it your life.

Yea but seriously. I spent a good 10k on an accounting education, passed the CPA and this is the crap I get. I can't even use the designation bc I don't have the experience.

If you have ADHD or whatever, see if you like accounting for a few years before you take that thing. You are not worthless. It's an exam that you can pass as long as you study enough. It's difficult because of the breadth, not the depth.
I'm using becker and I was being a drama queen that day... I'm just so frustrated with FAR because I should know all of this stuff from undergrad/grad but I have CRS syndrome.
Old 09-16-11, 04:27 PM

lightgreen has a spectacular aura aboutlightgreen has a spectacular aura about

Canadian Corporate Tax Expert and Cross-Border/International Tax expert here. I'm having serious problems with concentration and productivity. Occasionally, when things are going well at work, I love it. Mostly, I glide through each day unable to focus on anything.

I've just been diagnosed, and working on getting meds that work. Wish me luck!
Old 09-16-11, 04:42 PM
Suspended Account

Thanked 4,738 Times in 2,556 Posts
Blueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond repute

Im finishing my accounting degree right now. So far so good.
Old 09-26-12, 04:21 PM

iTakebreath is on a distinguished road

I realized I had ADD three months before I graduated with a Master's in Accounting. Since then it's been all downhill.

I've had horrible job performance reviews and most people in the office think I'm stupid.

It's sad, but I've put all my eggs in this one basket, and there's no escaping it now.

However..... I've been up against hard times all my life, and I know I can overcome this situation just like all the others.

Are there any accountants out there who have found ways to succeed in spite of the disability.
The Following User Says Thank You to iTakebreath For This Useful Post:
425runner (11-02-12)
Old 11-02-12, 11:00 AM

shelby123 is on a distinguished road

I am in accounting- I do AP and financial reporting amont other things The AP is data entry. So I triple check myself. It's the only way I can survive. I make mistakes but since being diagnosed and medicated things are tolerable. I guess the main thing I like about my job is it's flexible and I can work on whatever I want- the day is mine. It's the grudge people hold when I make a mistake that's the hard part. Sometimes Adderall isn't enough. I think I may look into technical writing, because the company I work for needs someone for that. Plus, there's a gray area in writing I thrive on. Accounting is so black and white.
Old 11-02-12, 01:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,126 Posts
phantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant future

I have worked in many aspects of accounting for large firms, and hated most of it. But I settled on starting my own bookkeeping business 12 years ago and am still doing it from home. I kept thinking that one day I will find my true passion, but accounting is my only truly learned skill. So here I am.

I cursed my job until lately. I actually appreciate that accounting will always be needed as long as there are businesses. Complete job security. I have no trouble getting clients, and only take on clients that were referred by my other clients. I am very picky about the clients I have. It just makes life easier to work with/for people that I like and can commit time to.

Some days I wish I had a bit more exciting and passionate job with less tedious details to keep track of, but my brain also appreciates systems and predictability in my work too so it doesn't have to think so hard. On the other hand, I have really good detective skills that come into play when fixing my mistakes...I mean... solving problems.

There are no limits to what you can accomplish when you are suppose to be doing something else.
The Following User Says Thank You to phantasm For This Useful Post:
425runner (11-02-12)
Old 11-02-12, 01:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 8,348 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

WEll, guys.....it doesn't matter to me how god you are or if you have passed a test, you're waaaaaaaaay ahead of me when it comes to ay sort of work with accounting .....

....I have my own little business that takes in vintage items (watches) and then fixes them sometimes, and usually puts new bands on them .....

and while that sounds fairly simple, I am in the dark about trying to figure out how to put that down on paper......

.....there are so many variables,.....especially when it comes to figuring out how much my time is worth .....when I am watch hunting ( my top favorite thing to do ) .....I spend literally hours on the internet every day ......it is not unusual for me to put in 80 hours a week, and it's a 7 day week .......

...and sometimes I buy a bunch of watches at once, sometimes one at a time, ....same with the watch bands, and some watchbands that come with some of the watches are removed and put on a different watch, .....

....and then there's the watches that don't make it for one reason or another.....about 20 to 25% of that poop out on me and have to be relegated to the "I might make my money back on them ,....but as I move to the more expensive vintage watches .....that becomes harder and harder ......

....it's one thing to write off a watch that cost me $25, and a whole different thing when it's a $175 watch ......

....and then I also make steampunk cufflinks, which means I have to match ladies watch movements, so I need a lot to make the matches......

...and I also make earrings out of charms, so there's all the different expenses in that ......

and I mat old vintage ads from magazines......

each of those has a lot of small expenses involved in each product, ...

how on earth do I keep it all straight ????!!!!!

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
Old 11-02-12, 08:14 PM
Contributor

jman05 is on a distinguished road

IF you work in accounting and claim you have ADD, you don't have ADD and quit complaining. I got fired from my first accounting job after 4 months and even have trouble holding other simpler jobs.
The Following User Says Thank You to jman05 For This Useful Post:
425runner (11-02-12)
Old 11-02-12, 08:24 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

I failed the CPA exam twice already....about to give up. I'm 35 with a spotty job history, been unemployed for over a year now. Will take the Enrolled Agent exam and try to get a job doing taxes....

I get insanely bored doing routine accounting...