ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-07-10, 11:34 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,114 Times in 541 Posts
wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of
Re: 15 year Police Officer diagnosed with ADD....Help Please

Get that letter from your doc and make at least one copy of it.
Keep it at home. Actually I would only carry a copy and keep the original safe at home.

Another thing I've known folks to do is to print out info on the med and specific information about what it is and what it does when taken according to prescription.

I'm feeling a bit lazy right now so I'm not looking back, but is your prescribing doctor also your diagnosing doctor? Is this doc a shrink?
One way to possibly protect confidential information from psych/counseling visits is to have a general med doc prescribe your meds and not a psychiatrist. Not sure that would work in court, but maybe.

About the lab testing and revealing info... they will be testing for substances that will show your ADD/HD meds, but all they can say is that you are positive for barbs/amphs/cannibis/etc.
They should have no contact with you other than possibly watching you pee in the cup and hand it over.
I know in our lab we do not get involved with the patient other than to collect the sample (legal draws in addition to workplace screening). We do not ask the patient anything about drug history or prescriptions.

You should be able to access the lab's policy on this, or the contract the lab has with your department/municipality and where it specifies reporting proceedures.

This might be an extreme thing to do for you, but you can always hire an attorney to do the digging for you. A good attorney should be able to access all public documents and openly seek answers specific to your situation without revealing your identity.
I have no idea how much that would cost... if you would need a retainer fee first, or just be able to pay the hourly...
Are you in good with any attorneys?

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!
Old 06-07-10, 11:44 PM

dudeinblue is on a distinguished road

The doc that I am seeing is a Psychiatrist who specializes in add, adhd, eating disorders, and ocd. He is also the doc who diagnosed me. I did not file my visit or my prescription with my insurance company, and the doc told me he only keeps paper records of visits. He says he does not store electronic patient records. This was all relieving to me, as I would like to leave as little a paper trail as possible.

I do know some attorneys, but most of them are prosecutors or defense attorneys. I don't really know anyone who specializes in this type of law.
The Following User Says Thank You to dudeinblue For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (06-08-13)
Old 06-07-10, 11:47 PM
Forum ADDvocate

wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeinblue View Post
The doc that I am seeing is a Psychiatrist who specializes in add, adhd, eating disorders, and ocd. He is also the doc who diagnosed me. I did not file my visit or my prescription with my insurance company, and the doc told me he only keeps paper records of visits. He says he does not store electronic patient records. This was all relieving to me, as I would like to leave as little a paper trail as possible.
I tend to believe that in general... most psych docs and counselors guard their patient's confidential information quite vigorously.
I suspect that is one reason your doc may go the paper route.
Good for him!

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-10, 03:03 AM

prim-prim will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeinblue View Post

I do know some attorneys, but most of them are prosecutors or defense attorneys. I don't really know anyone who specializes in this type of law.
Great psychiatrist, looking out for patients!

As for the attorneys you know: often if they cannot give you the specialization you're looking for, they know someone else they can refer you to and/or trust. Just an idea if you find you need or want to go this route.
Old 06-08-10, 03:38 AM
Contributor

Nick is just really niceNick is just really niceNick is just really niceNick is just really nice

Well I think you have your answer. If you are allowed to take the medication, then there's no need to notify anyone.

Adderall doesn't fall into the "affect your job" category, in my eyes. If you were taking opiates, or maybe strong doses of benzo's, then I could see where they could claim this could affect your job. But a medication like Adderall, probably makes you do your job better, so hopefully they wouldn't have a problem with it.

I would get a doctor's note, sure why not. I would say though, the best evidence you could have, is a long time period of taking the Adderall, with no issues. Like for instance, in a year and half from now or something, if you were randomly drug tested, or there was an incident, you prove that you were taking the medication for all that time with no issues, and then the medication couldn't be blamed.
Old 06-08-10, 10:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,942 Times in 5,876 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I work for my town not as A LEO tho and I repeat DO NOT say anything about add/You will never be looked up to or respected or seen in the same light again.Trust me if you do you will end up w alot of resentment and heartache and always have to hear dumb *** comments from so called normal people that actually behave worse then cats an dogs.
Old 06-09-10, 02:02 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
I work for my town not as A LEO tho and I repeat DO NOT say anything about add/You will never be looked up to or respected or seen in the same light again.Trust me if you do you will end up w alot of resentment and heartache and always have to hear dumb *** comments from so called normal people that actually behave worse then cats an dogs.
This is absolutely not true.
I really wish people would stop making such untrue, blanket, generalizations.

I am 50 years old, have been diagnosed with ADHD for something like 15 years now, and I have had several good jobs since my original diagnosis.
It's never occured to me to not mention my ADHD at work, yet I have never felt like I was treated differently because of it.
In fact, there are times I am praised for my abilities, that are surely a result of my ADHD, despite the difficulties I do have meeting every expectation at work every time.

I'm sure I am not the only person with ADD/HD to have this experience.

Experiences vary and those who do have negative experiences should not preach that this is the only reaction an ADDer will get in life, should their ADD/HD be know to others.

=========
=========

Old 06-09-10, 05:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

BrokenMirrors is just really niceBrokenMirrors is just really niceBrokenMirrors is just really niceBrokenMirrors is just really nice

I would also consider and discuss with the doctor use of Atomoxetine or Bupropion. And try if they are effective for you.

They won't scream 'amphetamines' in test results as Adderall (amphetamines) or Ritalin (Methylphenidate). I hate that we have to make these tradeoffs all the time, just because law/law enforcement can't treat people as an individuals or because all drugs have negative side effects as well. But who said life will be easy?
Old 06-09-10, 06:52 PM

Thanked 10,942 Times in 5,876 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

For you it might be untrue,for me I have experienced what I have experienced.THeres alot of ignorance in this country and I was trying to looking out for the man.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (06-08-13)
Old 06-10-10, 01:31 PM
Jr Member

anotheradder is on a distinguished road

Dudeinblue,

Regarding legal advice, may I suggest Prepaid Legal? It's a sort of legal insurance, where you pay $20-40/month, and they provide you with unlimited legal consultations over the phone, document reviews, and promise to represent you in court [with 50-70 hours included] if you're sued. Not sure how willing they'd be when it'll come to actual litigation, but free phone consultations and doc reviews are very nice, and much cheaper than $300/hour for retaining someone for a basic consultation. I believe they have a dedicated plan for LEOs, depending on your state. Perhaps your deparment already included membership for you, check your paperwork (my dad works as a security guard, and he did get their membership automatically).

I hope this does not come across as a blatant advertising. They are a service I've used successfully myself (I have them review any business-related paper I need to sign, they have a pool of lawyers available to advise you on any area of law), and I feel it's something others could benefit from as well. Also, legal insurance plans are common in Europe.
Old 05-24-13, 04:18 PM

Rftn10 is on a distinguished road

Adderall almost always shows up on a UA Screen, however ritalin in most cases does not. ritalin is not an ampheamine its a methylphenidate. similiar in structure but very different and is not tested for in 5 or even ten panel UA screens. There have been reports that Ritalin can show up as a false positive. however if your agency is using a reputable drug testing lab that is FDA approved than it is highly unlikely that ritalin will show. as for adderall in most law enforcemet agencies they would take it further through GCMS (Basicall hair follicle test). i have been in law enforcement over ten years, i am on the non stimulant strattera, i hate it but i also fear my job would show bias towards me if i take a chance with ritalin/adderall etc. i think i am gonna go for it regardless. what most companies or law enforcemtn agencies dont know, is ADD/ADHD is not like depression at all. a person with ADD when they like something they will excel. by the way FYI, strattera does not show up on any urine or hair follicle test as false positives.
Old 05-27-13, 10:50 PM

Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,061 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

In my opinion, you really need to speak to a lawyer ASAP before you get drug tested. "doesn't affect you being able to perform your duties" or whatever that clause was is VERY general and if someone wants to fire you, I would not be surprised if they can.

You've kept your job all this time without the meds right? If not taking them won't affect your job immediately, I'd personally talk to my doctor and get off those pills until I have confirmation from a lawyer that they can't let me go. That way the drugs can get out of your bloodstream (hopefully soon) before they are discovered.

Do NOT speak with HR. They are there to protect your employer, not employees.

It's not that difficult finding an employment law lawyer with a primary emphasis on disability law. I called the wrong lawyer in the beginning, they ended up referring me to a great one. Once you have a name, you can go online and check out their website and experience. My lawyer's website noted he was in employment law with a specialty in diasabilities, how long he'd been working, he told me himself how many ADHD cases he's tried and won, he also had tons of awards listed on his website.

Lawyer's may be expensive but whatever the charge, is well worth your pension. I would pay more if it meant getting a better lawyer (sometimes more money doesn't equal better quality though).

Also, is there a police officer forum or something. Maybe other cops can help you out anonymously.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (05-02-14), Sandy4957 (06-08-13)
Old 06-08-13, 01:31 PM

matthewwriter is on a distinguished road

I recomend you to check the rules, legislation and stuff from your police department. Many military works have not any restriction for ADHD people to work. The psycologists in any police or army knows that ADHD people can have great skills for the job. A friend of mine, from Sao Paulo military police, said me that.
Old 06-08-13, 03:03 PM

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

Dude,

Welcome.

Talk to a defense lawyer, a private one. ASAP. Don't talk to a prosecutor because they may feel that they have some sort of reporting obligation. Any defense lawyer that you consult will be obligated to keep the consultation secret, even if you ultimately opt not to hire him or her. That means that he or she will also be precluded from using this fact to cross-examine you should they ever have to in defending a case...

Or ask a defense lawyer for a referral without disclosing the EXACT question, only the gist.

My concern is that there'll be some sort of policy against the use just because they can't use testing to determine if you're clean. That's usually the issue. It isn't that they're worried about performance issues. It's that they won't be able to prove that you were ABUSING meds if they suspect it.

The defense lawyer can investigate without disclosing who his or her client is. They'll be able to explicitly approach your superiors, if need be.

TBH, I don't know if I'd even use a union rep. if you had one. I'd use a lawyer. But I'm probably a bit biased in that regard.

If you're in MN, PM me and I'll look into it for you. I know how to do this sort of stuff. But the best lawyer for you is one in your community (which sounds like it might be small?) who you see all the time in the courthouse, so that he or she is talking to TONS of cops on a constant basis. That way management won't be able to pinpoint who the likely client is.

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (05-02-14)
Old 09-25-13, 05:05 AM

Rftn10 is on a distinguished road

I am also in a similar predicament. I Am a police officer for a very large police dept in the east coast, basically the biggest dept in the US. I too have suspected I have ADD. I used to take strattera however it works mild at best. I am currently on wellbutrin XL 300 , which is also mild at best. I am a good police officer in the field, I am disaster when it comes to paper work or administrative work. I am trying to move up in the dept but I cannot take a promotional test. I study months and months and it seems like I never studied at all. Very frustrating. my dept as randomly tests its officers, but instead of urine testing it's hair testing. I am contemplating taking Ritalin . I am nervous about it. Does anyone know if ritalin would show up in a hair follicle test? Anyone with first hand knowledge, not speculation? I want to better my self however my employer may not feel the same way, many people are just un-informed of the different types of ADD and just group it together as some mental disorder which I do not consider it. . It's a very manageable problem.