ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 05-01-14, 05:08 PM

CPDCOP is on a distinguished road
Re: 15 year Police Officer diagnosed with ADD....Help Please

hey buddy, I am in the exact same situation as you were. I see that you posted your question in 2010. I have 19 years on the job as a PO and just started taking adderall. Our general order states that if your prescription bottle it says that you're driving Ability can be affected, you need to notify your Commander. what did you end up doing and how did it work out for you. I am a little hesitant to let anyone know at work.
The Following User Says Thank You to CPDCOP For This Useful Post:
someothertime (05-01-14)
Old 05-01-14, 08:42 PM
Contributor

USMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of light

I'm in the same career (19 years as well). I stressed out about this (reporting the controlled substance, as required). It's a non issue. PM me if needed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to USMCcop For This Useful Post:
knoxd77 (10-05-14), someothertime (05-01-14)
Old 05-01-14, 10:22 PM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,447 Times in 2,992 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at this from the outside... it's a great career / proffession... if I hadn't dabbled on the line in my teenage years......

My emotional imbalances ( impulsiveness and frustration ) would n doubt cause issues... at least with intake... and practically, this is probably the biggest area that *MAY* hamper an ADDer... well that and nitty details / proiritisation etc.

Substances... i'd be more concerned if you weren't on one! It is truly a shame that such tests aren't whollistic and look at pro's aswell in the overall assessment... i.e. "staffperson A is barely suitable based on our process keeping... at the time of training... yet staffperson A scored almost 20% higher in response, detection, threat assessment"... blah blah... or whatever the criterion is...

Alas, I know the real world doesn't always follow logic... and I just want to praise you guys... as ADDers... and doing what you do... from a guy that spend 30 years of his life fearing "the system"... the more ADDers the better! ( well maybe not as partners )

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-14, 11:18 PM
Contributor

USMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of light

Perceptions have changed. There seems to be the realization that police officers are not robots and many suffer from emotional issues. After traffic accidents and cardiovascular deaths, more police officers are killed by suicide than felonious killings.
The Following User Says Thank You to USMCcop For This Useful Post:
someothertime (05-02-14)
Old 05-02-14, 08:50 PM
Forum Guru

MX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud of

Dude in Blue -- welcome, glad you found ADDF/

Word of warning, Admin is not on your side, they side with Department hierarchy. So, I would definitely review any and all policies on how you report to your supers your medications. Plus, I would print out all the policies you find. Keep a record. Getting the doctor's letter etc. is also documentation.

As another poster noted, you are close to retirement, so be careful.
Old 05-02-14, 08:51 PM
Forum Guru

MX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud of

Dude in Blue -- P.S. glad your medication is working for you.