ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Research
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Research Current medical research projects from not-for-profit organizations may be found in this forum. Posts in this section require Forums Staff Approval

Old 03-03-11, 09:09 AM

bekbeech is on a distinguished road
Smile Equal treatment for students with disabilities

Hi,

If you get a few spare seconds, and if you agree with it, I'd love it if you could sign my petition asking for equal treatment for students with disabilities at Murdoch University . I personally believe that many higher education institutions make it difficult for students with disabilities (such as Asperger's and ADD) by not allowing appropriate academic supports. As you know many individuals (if not the majority) with ADD are of high intelligence and have so much to offer the world if simply given equal treatment. Sadly, not only do students with disabilities have to contend with discrimination and prejudice, but they also have to work over and above what they are required simply to demonstrate their ability.

The petition can be accessed here

Thank you for your time.
Bek
Old 03-04-11, 07:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Werl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to behold
Re: Equal treatment for students with disabilities

I don't know about elsewhere, but in Alberta Universities are quite accommodating.

A teenage male from central Alberta, diagnosed with ADHD, borderline Aspergers, and a non verbal learning disorder.
Old 03-04-11, 10:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,929 Times in 7,991 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

All universities have to offer accomodations by law.. otherwise they'd be breaching the civil rights of disabled people.

I'm doubting this as any kind of sincere effort, the links don't give any documentation just simply make a claim, sounds like a petition to get as many gullible people to sign it as possible. Murdoch university appears to have in place accomodations for students, check their website and I checked the psychology departement. One of the psychologists specializes in disability stigma.. kinda doubt this is real.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-11, 10:53 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,031 Times in 556 Posts
Twiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to behold

My college gives me accommodations too and I carry on quite well.

Rx= Nothing. Can't due to medical reasons.

Past Rx= Vyvanse 30mg (6/13/14), Adderall 15mg 1/7/14, Medical Marijuana, Smokeless Tobacco, Adderall IR 25mg 4/23/13, Dexedrine IR 20mg, Ritalin IR 60mg.
Old 03-10-11, 05:29 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,156 Times in 739 Posts
NorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really niceNorCalAndy8 is just really nice

Word up....
Old 03-14-11, 01:13 AM
Jr Member

ADDSanFrancisco is on a distinguished road

Find a lawyer, I'm suing my school. Figure out what accommodations you might want. Talk to disability center. If they don't respond at all it's time to sue. You can do small claims court if you are a self motivated type or find a lawyer. There is usually a lawyer referral service locally. You have 6 months to file suit against your school. Another approach is to send a letter from a lawyer asking for your accomodations.