ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-27-18, 01:45 AM

BridgO is on a distinguished road
Adderall given for depression.

Hi there. Has anybody else been prescribed Adderall for depression. I have tried all the antidepressants that are on the market. I don’t respond to them.
Just curious.
Old 04-27-18, 02:17 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Adderall given for depression.

I've heard of it before, but I'd imagine that it's not common. Amphetamines are known for causing short term euphoria among new users, but that mood boosting effect isn't sustainable long term.

So I wouldn't expect it to be a useful long term treatment for depression. Perhaps if you have comorbid depression and adhd, then Adderall would be helpful.

Have you seen a knowledgeable psychiatrist yet? Obviously, something isn't going right if you've had all of these medication failures. I wish you best of luck!
Old 04-27-18, 12:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,214 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

I think stimulants are used in cases of treatment-resistant depression ... in other words, for people who don't respond to other medications--which seems to describe yourself.

Of course, this is "off-label," meaning stimulants are not FDA approved for treatment of depression. Off-label means the doctor takes the initiative to prescribe the medication even though it's not approved for a specific condition. Off-label use can be completely legit, so I'm not necessarily criticizing it.

My little awareness in this area is that methylphenidate (Ritalin) is more used, but that's only a guess.

You might have to get to a really creative psychiatrist ... a really good psychiatrist ... who has the confidence to prescribe this for you ...

Good luck.

Tone
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-18, 03:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

bldt is a jewel in the roughbldt is a jewel in the roughbldt is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
I've heard of it before, but I'd imagine that it's not common. Amphetamines are known for causing short term euphoria among new users, but that mood boosting effect isn't sustainable long term.

So I wouldn't expect it to be a useful long term treatment for depression. Perhaps if you have comorbid depression and adhd, then Adderall would be helpful.

Have you seen a knowledgeable psychiatrist yet? Obviously, something isn't going right if you've had all of these medication failures. I wish you best of luck!
As CharlesH. points out comorbidity is likely.Have you been tested for ADHD?
Old 04-28-18, 09:26 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,353 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Hey Bridg, I haven't been prescribed amphetamines for depression. From my reading it is not normally prescribed when only diagnosis is depression, but may be prescribed after other failures. When prescribed it is more common as an adjunct (needs very close monitoring in many cases for adjunctive).

Have you been prescribed amphetamines for depression? -LN
Old 04-28-18, 04:23 PM

Thanked 14,555 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm prescribed dextroamphetamine sulfate for my ADHD.

That said, it is also the most efficacious antidepressant I have ever known.

And I say that never once having experienced euphoria from it, or any other psychostimulant prescribed for ADHD.

It doesn't replace or negate my use of bupropion, but works nicely alongside it.

My doctor is well aware of my antidepressant response to Dex. He considers it an unexpected bonus, and given my poor- and non-response to many other antidepressant medications, is pleased with the outcome.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
daveddd (05-13-18), psychopathetic (04-28-18), ToneTone (05-02-18)
Old 05-04-18, 04:46 AM

Lash107 is on a distinguished road

My friend has treatment-resistant depression and now takes Adderall. It has helped her depression so much. Antidepressants just aren’t helpful for her.
Old 05-04-18, 09:11 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Glad to hear Lash. IMVVHO I think it is reasonable to expect adequate treatment for depression to address symptoms. It is just an issue of finding the right therapy and/or meds. Is your friend happy w/ their treatment? -LN
Old 05-11-18, 01:21 PM

Moxxy19 is on a distinguished road

I've haven't heard of it much but in my case I am hyper sensitive emotional. Stimulants seem to help me not with racing bad thoughts. And I seem to not focus on a problem as long.
Old 05-12-18, 05:25 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

I don't see why not. I'm on an antipsychotic and I'm not psychotic. Well not anymore anyway. And I've been on anticonvulsant and i'm not epileptic.

I have had no anti depression benefits with my Adderall or when I was on Concerta. In fact I'm reading a self help book that has you take the Burns Depression Checklist. On 2 antidepressants, and antipsychotic, and adderall I still scored a 76.

I don't see a reason not to try it though.
Old 05-12-18, 07:31 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrinMeow View Post
I don't see why not.
Because Adderall is a controlled substance that can cause euphoria in many people (regardless of whether they have or don't have ADHD and/or depression), and can be very addictive. Same reason that doctors don't generally don't prescribe oxycodone for depression.

Adderall has demonstrated long term effectiveness and safety for treating ADHD and narcolepsy, and IMO should be prescribed only for those purposes.
Old 05-12-18, 08:11 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

Of all the medications I'm on I have the least reliance on my Adderall.

If the depression is that bad and it is not responding to normal antidepressants then why not try? I'm "addicted" to my antidepressants. I would go through severe withdraw without them. The Adderall I could quit cold turkey and be fine. Used responsibly as prescribed makes it far less likely that you'll go off the deep end and start smoking meth, which I assume is what you are referring to.

Or I think they still do shock therapy. Who needs short term memory anyway? And I know someone with an implant that runs up into her brain because she is medication resistant.

Unless there is something about ADHD that makes the drug less addictive that I'm unaware of, reasonable dosing shouldn't do any harm. I would actually think they would prescribe depression dosages lower than ours. I don't think a "normal" person could handle my AHDH meds.

I have enough medication in sufficient amounts and types that I could off myself right now. And I have a history of suicide attempts. My psych still prescribes them. Sometimes you just have to treat the disorder, conventions be damned.
The Following User Says Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (05-13-18)
Old 05-13-18, 12:45 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

I think (and I'm not a scientist or expert, so this is just my personal conjecture) that for people with ADHD, they are less likely to develop tolerance to the focusing effects of stimulants.

And I think that both ADHD and non-ADHD people are very likely to rapidly develop tolerance to the mood-boosting effects of stimulants. When they try to maintain these mood-boosting effects by rapidly escalating their doses, that's when things go downhill really quickly.

The scientific consensus is that antidepressants have virtually no addiction liability, so you're almost certainly not "addicted" to your antidepressants (at least according to the medical definition).

Certainly, meds can be (and often are) prescribed for off-label use (such as your example of antipsychotics). But when meds are controlled substances, doctors are a lot less likely to use them for unapproved or uncommon purposes.
Old 05-13-18, 11:03 AM
Forum ADDvocate

iirc amphetamines for 1st line antidepressant isn't long-term effective when compared to other choices.

OTOH if strictly from an effective standpoint for depression you would use TCA's and old-shool MAOI's as a first-line. Down the line you would eventually get to the SSRI's. In many situations ECT would come before SSRI's. When you add in the risks though, the order changes. For amphetamines as the only antidepressant it is towards the bottom of the "list", but it is on it.

This is just off the top of my head, so pls clarify/correct if I misspoke. -LN
Old 05-13-18, 10:26 PM

Thanked 11,261 Times in 5,501 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
iirc amphetamines for 1st line antidepressant isn't long-term effective when compared to other choices.

OTOH if strictly from an effective standpoint for depression you would use TCA's and old-shool MAOI's as a first-line. Down the line you would eventually get to the SSRI's. In many situations ECT would come before SSRI's. When you add in the risks though, the order changes. For amphetamines as the only antidepressant it is towards the bottom of the "list", but it is on it.

This is just off the top of my head, so pls clarify/correct if I misspoke. -LN
I'd be interested in seeing any studies comparing adderal and maoi or TCAs for long term effectiveness in treatment resistant depression

"When you add in the risks though, the order changes. For amphetamines as the only antidepressant it is towards the bottom of the "list", but it is on it."

im confused by your phrasing, are you saying adderall is the least risky? I'd agree, probably close with SSRIS