ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-10, 10:59 AM
Forum Guru

cantakeitnemore is a name known to allcantakeitnemore is a name known to allcantakeitnemore is a name known to allcantakeitnemore is a name known to allcantakeitnemore is a name known to allcantakeitnemore is a name known to all
What kind are/were you in school/college ?

Me
In school - I used to talk to everyone, I was kind of the class clown. But there was no one I could call my best friend. And in class I used to sit down quietly but always moving my legs or fidgeting with the pen, never uttered a single word unless asked, never raised my hand for answering(even if I knew it), I was scared ****less of the teachers, public speaking = trembling legs, fast pulse. I used to look forward to going back home. I used to be atleast in the above average students. I knew I was smart.

College - I know everyone. I'm still kind of the class clown. But I've had an argument/disagreement with almost everyone I've talked to (happens when you live in a hostel). I don't like anyone. They irritate me.
Class: I sit quietly in the class and keep moving my legs - everything is the same except that now I actually don't know the answers and I don't listen to what the teacher is saying. I just zone out in 5-10 minutes. Even now I look forward to going back home but its not everyday, its once in 3-4 months. Now I'm way below average. And I've started wondering whether I really have what it takes to achieve something/anything.
Old 09-07-10, 01:09 PM

bricaru is on a distinguished road
Re: What kind are/were you in school/college ?

Your description of yourself fits me exactly. I was always very chatty with people but never really had friends because I was afraid to talk to them. You said you did well in class but did you also make alot of carelss mistakes because you just didn't have the attention span to do everything the right way like me. There were so many projects I handed in late because I just couldnt focus on them to hand them in on time. I always did excellent work but it was jsut always late LOL. The odd thing is I have seen alot of people on here are terrified of public speaking. That was actually the only thing I liked about school but I always screwed it up by being to hyper and talking to fast and jumbling my words or speaking in disconnected sentences. I love performing in the theater so I think thats why I liked talking because I liked being the center of attention.

I have the same doubts as you. Went to college and knew the subjects weren't really hard it's just that I couldn't focus on the material to "master" it the way you are supposed to in college. This really screwed me over because I wanted to become a physician assistant but I can not handle having to focus so much to study alot at one time. I hope when I have an offical diagnosis of ADD that I can straighten my head out a bit and fulfill my career goal.
The Following User Says Thank You to bricaru For This Useful Post:
cantakeitnemore (09-07-10)
Old 09-07-10, 02:37 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,776 Posts
EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future

I was exactly the same way. Uni was too much for me. I take meds now that help a little and will take classes again.

peripatetic is nuts and I'm the squirrel.
The Following User Says Thank You to EshkaronsEngine For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-10, 03:05 PM

Jabbz will become famous soon enough

k-8: Was the kid that was told twice to do things. Got yelled at by everyone. Was always the outcast. Yet my mom and grandparents tell me I was also the happy-go-lucky Fabio of the family. they would tell me of when I was little I would take a french fry and turn around and look at the girls didn't matter the age XD

8-now(sophmore year college): I have trouble writing papers/researching etc. For my long classes I have to lay my head down so I won't look around the room. When I do, I actually listen to everything the teacher says, but I hate the feeling that the teacher things im sleeping and will kick me out. My american lit teacher said if we had any disabilities to come and talk to her for split second I thought of doing it, then it went away since the cool thing for non ad/hder's is to disbelieve ad/hd as a disability.
Old 09-07-10, 03:13 PM
Contributor

dbellca82 has a spectacular aura aboutdbellca82 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantakeitnemore View Post
Me
In school - I used to talk to everyone, I was kind of the class clown. But there was no one I could call my best friend. And in class I used to sit down quietly but always moving my legs or fidgeting with the pen, never uttered a single word unless asked, never raised my hand for answering(even if I knew it), I was scared ****less of the teachers, public speaking = trembling legs, fast pulse. I used to look forward to going back home. I used to be atleast in the above average students. I knew I was smart.

College - I know everyone. I'm still kind of the class clown. But I've had an argument/disagreement with almost everyone I've talked to (happens when you live in a hostel). I don't like anyone. They irritate me.
Class: I sit quietly in the class and keep moving my legs - everything is the same except that now I actually don't know the answers and I don't listen to what the teacher is saying. I just zone out in 5-10 minutes. Even now I look forward to going back home but its not everyday, its once in 3-4 months. Now I'm way below average. And I've started wondering whether I really have what it takes to achieve something/anything.
I don't know about not liking anyone, and I don't really squirm so much anymore, but I do find it extremely annoying, to the point that I can't let it go, when others try to pass off or seem to claim they know something about a certain topic, or subject and their information is fully incorrect. This drives me crazy, I correct the false information with people in a non argumentative manner, but it seems most individuals just get frustrated, and upset over being told they are wrong and they think they are right, yet I am able to prove they are incorrect. I am usually not the one walking away in anger or frustration. The thing is also regarding being smart, even though I have always been in advanced placement, and have no problem achieving 4.0 college GPA without studying, the problem for me is applying myself to accomplish this. I think I am learning everyday how to better manage such current annoyances.

1 mg methylphenidate = 0.5 mg D-amphetamine = 0.5 - 0.75 mg Adderall

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry, alcohol is a solution.
Old 09-07-10, 04:06 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,772 Times in 775 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute

I was the class daydreamer as a child. I was bright and easily bored - ready to go on to something else - almost always. I always had a friend or two that I hung with, but I was not Ms. Popularity.

High school was better because they put me in the college prep program and those classes were usually much more interesting.

I about died when I hit college undiagnosed and un medicated. Some of those classes were HARD! But if I liked the subject matter and the prof, I did well -even got A's. By this point I had evolved many coping strategies to help me get by. It still took me 7 years to finish, though. I had a couple of good friends in college and a boyfriend whom I eventually married.
The Following User Says Thank You to Possum For This Useful Post: