ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-17, 11:59 PM

br3akingchains is on a distinguished road
Nutritional Ketosis

Has anyone tried a grain free gluten free ketogenic diet and measured ketones (either through blood or urine) to make sure you were actually in ketosis consistently?

How did the diet affect ADHD symptoms? How strict were you with the diet? Any other positive or negative effects?
Old 12-20-17, 01:23 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,931 Times in 7,991 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Nutritional Ketosis

I have used a grain free ketogenic diet. I don't care about gluten. I have measured my ketones using keto sticks that can be bought at any pharmacy tho I do so rarely. I'm in ketosis as a natural state now.

I have been very strict keeping my carb macros at less than 20 grams a day. Positive effects, less inflamation, (knee pain almost gone), no IBS symptoms anymore, mental clarity, mood elevation, great blood glucose levels, good cholesterol up, bad cholesterol levels down. Triglycerides were normal. I do supplement with extra salt and potassium to avoid the 'keto flu" which is basically a salt flush out of your system.

I feel great. Brain fog way down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
br3akingchains (12-20-17), Fraser_0762 (04-30-18)
Old 12-20-17, 02:30 AM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the rough

I have met with ketogenic diet when i was doing bodybuilding , i researched about in bodybuilding forums.
I should say that it is very dangerous diet,it increases free radical levels in blood . Just have healthy and balanced macro-nutrition diet.
Gluten is a protein , if u dont have celiac disease or gluten allergy , having a gluten-free doesnt matter for your health.
The Following User Says Thank You to Emre22 For This Useful Post:
br3akingchains (12-20-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-18, 04:57 AM

northman is on a distinguished road

I first tried cutting out gluten, which after a day or so reduced my anxiety. Since I was a child I had always been a nail biter, and that stopped all of a sudden the week that I cut out bread. I can tolerate some but if I start to eat as much bread as my fellow countrymen my fingers are suddenly back in my mouth. I tested negative to celiac disease, although I have it in my family. My mom claims she also react very bad to gluten (and cheese), although the reaction seems more like an allergy reaction with migraine, swelling around eyes and sluggish thinking. I realize that the reaction could be to some other component of the bread than gluten, but staying away from weat/barley/rye seems to work.

As for the ketogenic part. I tested the diet with ketosticks and blood sugar apparatus. It worked well at clearing my head but didn't fix all symptoms, like lack of motivation and bad working memory. Another side effect was that my vision seemed to improve and I could see things far away better. I felt that the diet was rather difficult to follow, mostly because it was difficult to eat with friends and colleagues. Instead I have switched to an "intermittent fasting"-pattern. So I usually skip breakfast and only eat salad/keto for lunch. Then I eat more normal at night, which is when I usually eat with friends. If I exercise I can eat a small amount of carbs before. I think that the exercise will burn through the carbs, so that after I am back on running on fat. If I do eat carbs during the day, especially fast carbs with no fiber, I become extremely sleepy and sluggish. I have a desk job, but even when I have had jobs where I am required to move around carbs really slow down my head.
Old 04-30-18, 04:22 AM

Shockcar is on a distinguished road

Read about the keto diet and it seems interesting but I dont know how well I will be able to follow it.
Old 04-30-18, 07:03 AM

Thanked 4,847 Times in 2,098 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Can confirm it helps with the ADHD especially if not on meds. Can also confirm it's hard to stick to. Because of other food intolerances I can't have a lot of the high fat foods to make it work easily like coconut oil or cheese.

I make my own pork lard and bone broth in the crock pot.
Fraser_0762 (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 07:21 AM

Thanked 6,469 Times in 3,088 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre22 View Post
if u dont have celiac disease or gluten allergy , having a gluten-free doesnt matter for your health.
Not sure I agree with that entirely. I think gluten has an impact on almost everybody's health to some degree. I remember consuming gluten without any issues when I was younger, but over the years I've found it harder and harder to tolerate. I believe it causes fungal bacteria to build up in the gut as a result of long term consumption, which can lead to issues with digestion and brain function.

It generally gets overlooked because gluten appears in so much of the western diet these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
tudorose (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 09:53 AM

MindFrag is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Nutritional Ketosis

I've been doing (flexible) Paleo for the past 4 years and as strict as possible Keto for the past 5 months, with intermittend fasting.

I can confirm it works and can make you feel way better.

Keto needs some adapting, you can't really eat carb foods at all. What you get (about 5% of calories) is mostly trough the carbs already in your vegetables.
This means that coming from a high carb your body runs on glucose and you want it to run on ketones, when you get into the state of ketosis you will run on fat wich doesn't spike your insuline as much. So it's also great for losing weight if you struggle with that.

To get your body into a fat burning state you first need to give your body a week or so to adjust, during this week you will likely feel pretty miserable unless you are already eating fairly healthy.

But yeh keto works great, simply because i don't have as much insuline coursing troung me. I also eat once or twice a day only. No snacks, no little bites or even another scoop of coconut oil trough my coffee.

I wake up at 5, put a few slices of organic bacon in the pan, mix 2 eggs with fullfat coconut cream, spring unions, kurkuma, himalyan rocksalt, pepper and whatever herb i feel like that day. Then i goto work at about 6 and won't eat anything until 1800. At dinner it's always mostly vegetables with a serving of meat or fish or some oven dish like califlower pizza or zuchhini lasagna.
My job as infra electrician is often demanding and has quite abit of hard labor daily, before i started keto i was eating paleo, and i was eating SO MUCH MORE then right now. Looking back im not even sure how i could. I wouldn't eat breakfast most of the time but i would grill and sauté a Kilo (35ounces) of frozen vegetables every morning to take to work. And i would eat it all and still be hungry, while not really having a great focus. It was much better then before paleo for sure but nothing too epic to go without meds or anything.

Now however i found that [color="Red"]simply keeping your bloodsugar in check will severely impact your ability to focus[/COLOR. That's why intermittend fasting works so well, for me at least. I tried a 3 day fast and on day 3, during work we had todo something pretty complicated and alot of people where there (these two things never mix well with me) but i was able to completly eredicate them from my attention and focus JUST on the task at hand.. something absolutely unthinkable without drugs, yet here i was being very impressive without ever realizing it (until right now actually).
On keto it's so easy to simply -not- eat, as you are almost seamlessly tapping into your body's fat stores and running on that, and while it is your entire digestion system is relaxing and restoring, freeing energy and apparantly giving focus.

The only way this works if you practice a HEALTHY ketogenic diet with GOOD FATS, this is absolutely critical, you have to have minerals and vitamines stored for this to be a good option, so first go healthy (basically eat alot of leafy vegetables) for a few weeks and only then start intermittend fasting. During the fasts i would still take a magnesium-zinc-calcium tab twice a day btw.

Whatever, wichever you do or decide. By far the most important thing todo is sleeping well, there is no substitute to a good night's sleep. This is step one for everything brain related.

Watch what you eat but even more what you don't eat, meditate daily, turn off your devices before bedtime and don't play intense video games before bed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MindFrag For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (04-30-18), ginniebean (04-30-18), tudorose (05-01-18)
Old 04-30-18, 01:38 PM

Thanked 6,469 Times in 3,088 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Old 05-13-18, 07:38 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

I lost almost 40 lbs going keto. I did use the strips at first but after you are in full ketosis they aren't accurate because your body has adapted to using the ketones so they aren't flushed out.

On keto my rocesea and skin cleared up. It regulated my hormones so much that I had a period. Have not had one in years due to the way I take my birth control to prevent them. Being asexual I only take the birth control for the polycistic ovary syndrome. So I can definitely tell you that it does affect hormones. Because I have PCOS I am insulin resistant which explains why I've always had problems with my weight. Keto was suggested to me because I have PCOS. On keto I was dropping weight like mad. I actually had to up my daily intake of carbs to slow it down.

Through my health exam for work I found I had also lowered my triglycerides to a normal level. They were previously a little on the high side. My digestive problems went way completely as well.

Right now I can't do keto because I'm on the Adderall can't-manage-to-eat-solid-food diet. I think I accidentally became anorexic.

My goal with keto was to drop the weight I wanted and then maintain a lower carb lifestyle but add in some whole grains and more fruit. I didn't intend to do it forever but while I was on it I only saw pros and no cons.

When I go back on and get fully back into keto I would be very interested to have full lab work done to see if I have the proper vitamins and minerals for example. Check cholesterol.

A dietitian may know better than me but I had a great experience with it.