ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 05-29-18, 11:05 PM

amanda121287 is on a distinguished road
Appealing to Regain Financial Aid

Rundown
2011 year was crazy, failed some classes and lost financial aid.

2012, I returned, passed 4 courses with an A, currently enrolled in some other courses and maintaining good grades.

Srping 2012 term GPA:4

Cumulative: 3.66

I took 4 courses since I lost my eligibility and maintained a good gpa, see above. So I sent my letter of appeal a week ago because I need money for Summer term. I basically explained how that affected me and I also noted that I am being treated for it and I, as well as my family have noticed improvements. I cited my grades as evidence. I also attached a SIGNED letter from my Doctor confirming my claims of ADD and that I am being treated. I checked my status today and I was "Denied".

Can someone help me explain why they would deny me? I've got the good grades, I have a pretty good explanation. I was diagnosed with ADD few months after dropping out but before I began my new set of courses.

I'm very upset because I haven't been able to find a job(well one that will allow me to go to school) and I have already asked my parents to pay some of my courses which they have been doing so. I owe them and I won't ask them to pay any more because they aren't in the best of financial situations right now, I don't feel comfortable with it. Co signing a loan is out of the question.
Old 05-29-18, 11:20 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,573 Times in 10,336 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Appealing to Regain Financial Aid

First, congratulations on turning things around!

Was this a decision made at the school level, or for federal aid, or...?

Have you been taking classes on and off since 2012, or did you take a break between then and now? If you haven't been enrolled in classes as a regular student, it's possible you may need to apply for reinstatement first, and then deal with financial aid. (I don't know if that applies to you; if not, ignore...) If you've taken a number of years off, see if your school has a re-entry/non-traditional students program that could help with the transition back to school.

Have you been in touch with the disability services office at your school? They may be able to provide assistance in dealing with the financial aid office, or at least advice on how to plead your case, given the extenuating circumstances.

Best wishes!
Old 05-31-18, 06:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,561 Times in 861 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Namazu. I don't think you should've been denied. You did not know you had ADHD when the classes were failed but then got a diagnosis and are now being treated and earned A's.

I don't think ADHD is recognized as a disability per the US Federal gov't but maybe in your state it is. I'm not even sure if they can be different from each other.

Good luck!! Keep us posted!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-18, 09:29 PM

Budkeiser is on a distinguished road

The dates are nearly 6 years ago and some credits expire. You probably have an academic advisor you could speak with who should have a handle on the situation. Maybe try a different University whoís policies are more manageable. I know the University I went to gets on itís high horse for lots of things that seem silly and opposite from the rest of the University system.