ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-18, 04:36 PM
Jr Member

maryjanewatson is on a distinguished road
Considering applying for ADA accom. but I feel weird about it

So, I've been working at my job for just over 2 years. I work a desk job that requires long bouts of creative and constructive concentration, and is also entirely on the internet. I'm an editor and writer, and while I love my company, it's so hard with ADD to get my work done, especially with the whole internet there to distract me, and I find myself working off the clock all the time just to keep up with average work. And the creative work and constant stress of not being able to get things done just drains me so I never have energy to pursue my own interests.

I know the base load at which I work best, but it's under the requirements. I've been asking for reassessment in work load, but because the other person with my same job title always gets his stuff done, they don't really see a reason. Now that I have a diagnosis and am exploring meds (unsuccessfully), I've been encouraged to seek ADA accommodations by my friend who also has ADHD.

I feel weird about it though because the only accommodation I can think of is to bring my workload down to where I know I work best, but I feel like they would view it as me just trying to work the system to make my workload less than everyone else, and to get what I've been asking for for almost a year.

Any advice? Anyone have experience asking for ADA accommodations for ADHD and/or Generalized Anxiety Disorder?