ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 06-01-18, 09:21 AM
Jr Member

DieselFreak is on a distinguished road
Question My possible ADD

Hello. I have recently started looking into ADHD stuff due to finally being fed up with stuff I've struggled with and have came to some big realizations I think. For my first post I thought I'd explain my situation and get a few opinions as I have just started recently learning about it.

Here's what I believe may be ADD related. I have had some mild anxiety for several years and have started trying to analyze it to track down the cause. I'm starting to realize that I the anxiety is atleast partially stress from the ADD symptoms.
- I am a heavy procrastinator. I've always had a very hard time "getting around to" alot of projects and obligations. And it's like the thought of starting on some things sort of slips my mind alot of times and I end up doing something else.
- Forgetting things and somewhat absent mindedness at a moderate level.
- Definite focus problems. At work or home working on projects, or even talking to people I have a hard time maintaining focus. I'm constantly thinking and alot of times (more often than not) when I'm working I am constantly thinking of other things especially when the work is somewhat slow, my mind drifts to other subjects. Alot of times the thoughts are remembering things I was supposed to do previously but had forgot . Example: I'm working on something and I start thinking about something I was going to fix on my truck, then i might think "well while I'm thinking about it I better look up that part real quick on my phone so I dont forget again", go ahead and look up the part and get sidetracked looking up a few more things before I suddenly realize I'm supposed to be working. I'm constantly almost non stop thinking about all kinds of stuff when I'm trying to work. Other times I can get focused and it's almost like im obsessed or completely zoned out on what I'm working on. My boss (also my good friend) sometimes gives me a hard time when I'm in my "zone" because he'll say something to me and I won't even realize it because I'm so focused on what I'm doing, which is kind of funny. I just wish I could get in that zone when I wanted or more often so I could get more done because it feels good actually accomplishing something. But it usually just happens when it's something I'm interested in and fun or when I'm racing the clock to finish up stuff that I have previously slacked on and put off till the last minute and the adrenaline kicks in.
- When I'm talking to someone for a while and start losing focus, my thought will wonder a bit and I loose track of what's being said and I kind of have blank moments.

There's much more I'm not remembering at the moment. But I think having so much trouble keeping focused and finishing stuff in a timely manner and also the fact that I jump around and am always starting new projects before finishing others is causing the anxiety and stress dread and fatigue, which I had always just chalked up to simple anxiety.

I'm out of time at the moment, just realized I'm going to be late for work if I don't stop here lol. I'll have to finish my story later in my next post.
Old 06-01-18, 11:14 AM
Jr Member

Re: My possible ADD

Anyway, I have finally started talking to my doctor about the ADHD and the anxiety and social anxiety so hopefully I'm on the right track. So far in the 2 visits I've forgotten to mention so got me a note pad to write down stuff to bring on my next visit.
On my first visit, she decided to start working on the anxiety so she has prescribed Buspar, which is helping some overall but makes me even more tired and fatigued and feels like it slightly amplified the already lacking of focus and lack of motivation to get started on anything.
The second visit, she added strattera to see if it would help with the focus. I'm only a week into it but so far I haven't noticed any help with focus and find my self still having to add caffeine into the mix just to function at all and it is effecting my work. Hopefully it starts working soon.

Would it be wise to maybe call or email my doctor before my next visit to explain my predicament, or am I just being too impatient and need to just try to wait it out longer?

BTW, my apologies in advance for the very long posts.

Thanks
Old 06-02-18, 05:11 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,166 Times in 14,297 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Has the doctor diagnosed you formally with adhd or anything else?

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-18, 08:08 AM
Jr Member

I haven't gotten a formal diagnosis yet, but she did say it definitely looks like I most likely do. On the last visit I mentioned to her that I believe my dad has the same thing and I know of a few more relative's that likely have ADD.
Old 06-02-18, 09:14 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,347 Times in 780 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Hey DF, Just some thoughts on "this".

Stick to any agreements/guidance you and the Doc have regarding the meds and caffeine/nutrients....etc.

I would sum it up in a note w/
  • specifics (dose, effects on your specific issues and symptoms.)
  • Add-in real life examples to support your assertions.
  • Detail impacts at work w/ examples.
  • Detail adjustments you made (caffeine and any others) and how well the adjustments worked.
  • Close w/ this is just a heads-up and plan to review at next appointment.

Send of in e-mail, text, whatever works best for communicating w/ Doc). If Doc feels t you need to do something before next appointment, she will get back to you beforehand. HTH and GL, -LN
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
DieselFreak (06-02-18)
Old 06-02-18, 10:58 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
Hey DF, Just some thoughts on "this".

Stick to any agreements/guidance you and the Doc have regarding the meds and caffeine/nutrients....etc.

I would sum it up in a note w/
  • specifics (dose, effects on your specific issues and symptoms.)
  • Add-in real life examples to support your assertions.
  • Detail impacts at work w/ examples.
  • Detail adjustments you made (caffeine and any others) and how well the adjustments worked.
  • Close w/ this is just a heads-up and plan to review at next appointment.

Send of in e-mail, text, whatever works best for communicating w/ Doc). If Doc feels t you need to do something before next appointment, she will get back to you beforehand. HTH and GL, -LN
Ok thanks for the insight. Since my last visit I've been "trying" to keep somewhat of a daily journal of how I feel and add anything of significance that comes to mind like how I feel and current concerns and at what time ect. I've also been composing a list of symptoms to bring next time as well since I for some reason I can't remember everything I want to discuss when I go to the doctor, think it's partially social anxiety related as to why that always happens
Sounds like I'm on the right track then, so I'll try to keep it up.

Also something that concerns me is I kind of have a subconscious fear that if I say too much it will sound like I'm just making it up and trying to get drugs, which is definitely not the case. I have always done my best to avoid having to take medications, I even avoid Tylenol unless it's very necessary lol. But im just wanting to help manage these symptoms for a better quality of life, tired of going in circles and if the meds will help then I'll gladly give them a try. I think I partially am just getting somewhat impatient and expecting more faster results and maybe I just need to be patient and give it time.
Old 06-02-18, 01:31 PM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Are you having any negative side effects with stratterra?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-02-18, 01:40 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Are you having any negative side effects with stratterra?
It's hard to tell if some of the tiredness, spacing out ect is from the strattera or still lingering from the buspar. But other than that, not that I can tell. I'm only on 10mg which I think is the minimum dose.
Old 06-02-18, 02:48 PM
Jr Member

I should also state that I've only been taking the strattera for 8 days. The first day I took it I was incredibly fatigued and extremely un focused unmotivated like the ADD symptoms multiplied, which I think may be just adjustment to the new med, but after that it's been the same but to lesser of a degree which may be just the buspar as that's what it has been doing.
Old 06-02-18, 04:12 PM
Jr Member

Come to think of it, I just realized my appetite is down alot and has been since I started taking the strattera as I've been having to remind myself to eat more than once per day. I do believe this is one side effect that is for sure from it. It's not too big of a deal though, just have to remember to eat.
Old 06-03-18, 03:06 AM
Mod-A-holic

I only ask because stimulants are considered a first line treatment for adhd and something like Stratterra second.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-03-18, 06:27 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I only ask because stimulants are considered a first line treatment for adhd and something like Stratterra second.
I'm not for sure why she decided to test strattera first, but I assume because of either the stimulants being more strictly regulated and maybe required alot more testing, or maybe she is being cautious because I do have some mild anxiety.
Old 06-03-18, 08:47 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,347 Times in 780 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFreak View Post
---SNIPPAGE---
Also something that concerns me is I kind of have a subconscious fear that if I say too much it will sound like I'm just making it up and trying to get drugs, which is definitely not the case.
  • Keep it objective.
  • Keep Doc informed and stick to explicit agreements you two have for dosing/frequency.
  • Keep detailed log
  • Prep for meetings w/ Doc. (Maybe brief summary and share w/ Doc.)

That would make me less nervous and be reassuring to the Doc IMO. HTH, -LN
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
DieselFreak (06-03-18)
Old 06-03-18, 01:45 PM
Jr Member

Will do, thanks for the advise. I'll try to update pwriodically with how it goes and what I find out.
Old 06-05-18, 12:14 PM
Jr Member

I've just decided to tough it out and do my best to be patient unless something serious comes up then I will contact my doctor.

I have noticed something could be from the strattera, my mind seems to be less congested with thoughts which is kind of nice in a way. However it's difficult to think hard about something's, and seems like there is like pauses in my concentration and immediate memory, and feels like when that happens, the thought is right there but it takes a few seconds to realize and recognize it. I've had that happen before like after a long very strenuous day and I'm completely drained, but not regular daily basis. That's the best I can describe it, it feels like my mind is sluggish and somewhat mentally drained with the tired feeling and all.

Does this sound like usual strattera side effects and should I be worried about it? Or is this something that should go away in time?