ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 06-02-18, 12:16 AM
DieselFreak DieselFreak is online now
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 20
Thanks: 9
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
DieselFreak is on a distinguished road
Re: How much does ADHD impact your life?

I'm still in the process of being diagnosed but I am prety sure I have ADHD. But the more I learn about it, the less Im seeing that it doesn't impact in some way or another.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-03-18, 03:08 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 26,798
Thanks: 5,650
Thanked 31,156 Times in 14,289 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much does ADHD impact your life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFreak View Post
I'm still in the process of being diagnosed but I am prety sure I have ADHD. But the more I learn about it, the less Im seeing that it doesn't impact in some way or another.
Do you mean it does impact your daily life in some ways or not at all?
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-12-18, 12:47 AM
DieselFreak DieselFreak is online now
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 20
Thanks: 9
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
DieselFreak is on a distinguished road
Re: How much does ADHD impact your life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Do you mean it does impact your daily life in some ways or not at all?
Sorry about that, I meant that I'm thinking that it in fact does impact much more of my life than I would have realized. And I'm starting to think that maybe it impacts alot more aspects of my life than what it doesn't.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #49  
Old 06-12-18, 10:05 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 26,798
Thanks: 5,650
Thanked 31,156 Times in 14,289 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much does ADHD impact your life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFreak View Post
Sorry about that, I meant that I'm thinking that it in fact does impact much more of my life than I would have realized. And I'm starting to think that maybe it impacts alot more aspects of my life than what it doesn't.
Whew! I was going to say if it doesnt impact your life then maybe you do not have adhd. I have found over the years in treatment vs the years I was untreated that I am an absolute hazard untreated. I feel that the adhd impacts every area of my life. I forget the numbers but I think you have to have adhd impact 2 or more areas in your life in 6 or more ways? Or maybe its 6 or more aread in 2 or more ways? I know that it seems like as I have gotten older its been impacting me in ways that *seems* harder but I think its just the stage in life I am in right now. I am in the waiting stage again.....waiting for the next big changes to my schedule if I go back to school and begin working after 14 years of not working.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
DieselFreak (06-12-18)
  #50  
Old 06-12-18, 07:32 PM
allesandro1 allesandro1 is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Phila.Pa.
Posts: 174
Thanks: 38
Thanked 100 Times in 59 Posts
allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: How much does ADHD impact your life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Every aspect. It's not a problem that ever sleeps. Relationships, education, work prospects, socializing. It's all impaired in some way.
You took the words right out of my mouth
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 06-12-18, 08:15 PM
LyrinMeow LyrinMeow is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 226
Thanks: 98
Thanked 231 Times in 128 Posts
LyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of light
Re: How much does ADHD impact your life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBL07 View Post
I always feel that way. That i work three times as hard for half as much results. It sucks having an invisible disability. People don't realize the daily struggle. And all the emotional baggage that comes along with it. Never really finding your place in the world and fitting in and working and striving to go nowhere. Really does wear on you after a while. And being told you aren't trying or you don't care or you have a bad attitude. I don't have a bad attitude i just get frustrated and overwhelmed easily. I wish they would invent the ADHD pill. The pill that would give neurotypicals a taste of ADHD life for a day or two. Then we can bark commands at them and demand more from them. All the while they melt down.
Take into consideration all things. Don't complain about them judging you while you go and judge right back.

I, for one, don't have just ADHD, I have like 5 other things wrong with me. All of which are invisible, despite two being physical.

If you saw me at work you wouldn't have the slightest idea anything is wrong with me. None. I can function appearing as a NT. That doesn't mean I am. And yet know one knows.

You don't know what battles people face any more than they know yours. Someone has recently lost their mother, father, sister, brother, suffers from depression, has or has had cancer, is in an abusive relationship, just ended a 10 year marriage, or their dog just died.

Life isn't a all unicorns sh-ting rainbows for anyone, really. Some people just get dealt a worse hand than others.

That hand is where you start. It's where you go from there that's important, regardless of your illnesses.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06-12-18, 09:46 PM
DUBL07's Avatar
DUBL07 DUBL07 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: olathe,kansas
Posts: 56
Thanks: 29
Thanked 63 Times in 28 Posts
DUBL07 is on a distinguished road
Re: How much does ADHD impact your life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrinMeow View Post
Take into consideration all things. Don't complain about them judging you while you go and judge right back.

I, for one, don't have just ADHD, I have like 5 other things wrong with me. All of which are invisible, despite two being physical.

If you saw me at work you wouldn't have the slightest idea anything is wrong with me. None. I can function appearing as a NT. That doesn't mean I am. And yet know one knows.

You don't know what battles people face any more than they know yours. Someone has recently lost their mother, father, sister, brother, suffers from depression, has or has had cancer, is in an abusive relationship, just ended a 10 year marriage, or their dog just died.

Life isn't a all unicorns sh-ting rainbows for anyone, really. Some people just get dealt a worse hand than others.

That hand is where you start. It's where you go from there that's important, regardless of your illnesses.
Nobody at my job knows anything either. And most would think i'm totally normal. Most days i'm just keeping it together. But comments always get to me. If they say i have a bad attitude or something. And in school the not trying hard enough stuff. It just get old after a while. I have family that have issues, bipolar, MS, and other stuff. I don't expect an easy ride in life. However having nuerotypicals all around me it's hard not to see them as having an easy ride. Everything seems to just fall into place for them. Again i work three times as hard for half as much. As i get older my frustration builds and builds. I guess i just want more, but have zero clue how to get there.

I just started a new better paying job, and i'm trying to reinvent myself again at almost 40. I'm on meds and doing o/k most days. Still have the occasional meltdown. But all in all i think i am doing fine. Lately thinking about working 2 jobs to build more money. Then i won't have to worry so much as i get older. I still haven't found my place career wise and doubt i will. I've always played the hand i was dealt. Some times i double down and yell "hit me".
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06-13-18, 04:07 PM
LyrinMeow LyrinMeow is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 226
Thanks: 98
Thanked 231 Times in 128 Posts
LyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of light
Re: How much does ADHD impact your life?

If they don't know they can't cut you slack, though. They just think you are one of them and don't get why you aren't exactly capable like them.

Try my job. I had a couple of instances where I was cut 0 slack and other people were left to roam free and miss deadline after deadline. I asked my friends if it seemed like people expected more out of me than everyone else. The general consensus was probably. Gender was suggested as a cause. Whatever the reason it sucks a-- to be put in that position.

On the opposite side, I told my boss on his way out of his position about my mental health. Then I tried to discuss some problems I was having at work. He told me to take it to HR because of my "mental issues". Because apparently, if I have problems they are all due to my mental illness the moment someone hears about it instead of something external that is actually legitimately ******* me off.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Thankfully I'm a bipolar perfectionist with severe anxiety, so it's really hard to make me feel any worse than I already do.

I just let the NT issue go a while ago. People get free rides. For us its NTs. For NTs it's trust fund babies. And so on and so forth. I guess it's like remembering where you came from. I fought to be where I am. Not everyone had to fight for it, but I did. And I'm still fighting. Some days getting out of bed is hard enough. But I get up and keep on keepin' on. Screw everyone else because I'm coming out on top one way or another.

If you want to reinvent yourself at 40 then do so. I did it at around 30. If you want a new and better job keep an eye out. Go to a school. Find on the job training. Network. Your biggest hindrance probably won't be the person who expected too much but more likely be you placing limits on yourself that you don't need to. Watch out for those.

I've had a lot of people tell me what I cannot do.

They were wrong.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (06-13-18)
  #54  
Old 06-13-18, 08:44 PM
DieselFreak DieselFreak is online now
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 20
Thanks: 9
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
DieselFreak is on a distinguished road
Re: How much does ADHD impact your life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Whew! I was going to say if it doesnt impact your life then maybe you do not have adhd. I have found over the years in treatment vs the years I was untreated that I am an absolute hazard untreated. I feel that the adhd impacts every area of my life. I forget the numbers but I think you have to have adhd impact 2 or more areas in your life in 6 or more ways? Or maybe its 6 or more aread in 2 or more ways? I know that it seems like as I have gotten older its been impacting me in ways that *seems* harder but I think its just the stage in life I am in right now. I am in the waiting stage again.....waiting for the next big changes to my schedule if I go back to school and begin working after 14 years of not working.
Honestly I would about venture to say it impacts basically every area of my life in varying ways. Socially in many ways, at home in many ways, it affects my work in many ways, relationships (or should I say severe lack of), overall it impacts my overall well being which has it's own impact on all the other areas as well. There are perks to it but with all the negatives it brings, I think addressing the issue would help me out alot. I would like to be treated atleast for a while just to see how much different it is vs where I'm at now and have always been.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06-13-18, 08:44 PM
DUBL07's Avatar
DUBL07 DUBL07 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: olathe,kansas
Posts: 56
Thanks: 29
Thanked 63 Times in 28 Posts
DUBL07 is on a distinguished road
Re: How much does ADHD impact your life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrinMeow View Post
If they don't know they can't cut you slack, though. They just think you are one of them and don't get why you aren't exactly capable like them.

Try my job. I had a couple of instances where I was cut 0 slack and other people were left to roam free and miss deadline after deadline. I asked my friends if it seemed like people expected more out of me than everyone else. The general consensus was probably. Gender was suggested as a cause. Whatever the reason it sucks a-- to be put in that position.

On the opposite side, I told my boss on his way out of his position about my mental health. Then I tried to discuss some problems I was having at work. He told me to take it to HR because of my "mental issues". Because apparently, if I have problems they are all due to my mental illness the moment someone hears about it instead of something external that is actually legitimately ******* me off.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Thankfully I'm a bipolar perfectionist with severe anxiety, so it's really hard to make me feel any worse than I already do.

I just let the NT issue go a while ago. People get free rides. For us its NTs. For NTs it's trust fund babies. And so on and so forth. I guess it's like remembering where you came from. I fought to be where I am. Not everyone had to fight for it, but I did. And I'm still fighting. Some days getting out of bed is hard enough. But I get up and keep on keepin' on. Screw everyone else because I'm coming out on top one way or another.

If you want to reinvent yourself at 40 then do so. I did it at around 30. If you want a new and better job keep an eye out. Go to a school. Find on the job training. Network. Your biggest hindrance probably won't be the person who expected too much but more likely be you placing limits on yourself that you don't need to. Watch out for those.

I've had a lot of people tell me what I cannot do.

They were wrong.
Yeah anytime someone takes me for granted or talks down to me i chuckle. It's like o/k sure buddy whatever you say.

I haven't told this job and probably won't. I told my last job about it and they just made comments about it. Like you said damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I guess it's just frustration for me. Like i see a neuro just excelling with no effort. And i'm in the weeds trying like hell to catch up. I guess i just get frustrated and annoyed i can't just easily do something. And i have always struggled with being on time. Most jobs i'm 5 minutes late. But the past few years i have been doing awesome and have been on time 95 percent of the time. The new job....yeah everyone shows up 10-45 minutes late. It's totally insane and really really bugs me. Again i work hard to get up earlier so i have extra time to be slow in the morning. Extra time in case traffic scr*ws me for the millionth time. And these dudes roll in like its a holiday weekend. Then go get coffee and chat for a bit.

I have reinvented myself. The new job is tech support and fast paced with TONS to learn. Literally takes 6 months to learn this job and at least one year to be really good. Most on my team have been doing this for between 3 and 10 years.

I am in college but struggling hard. I really want some "tech" school stuff instead i think. Not sure i really care about the degree anymore. Having more skills is always a plus. I just need to make enough to support myself going forward until i win the lottery
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06-13-18, 08:52 PM
DUBL07's Avatar
DUBL07 DUBL07 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: olathe,kansas
Posts: 56
Thanks: 29
Thanked 63 Times in 28 Posts
DUBL07 is on a distinguished road
Re: How much does ADHD impact your life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFreak View Post
Honestly I would about venture to say it impacts basically every area of my life in varying ways. Socially in many ways, at home in many ways, it affects my work in many ways, relationships (or should I say severe lack of), overall it impacts my overall well being which has it's own impact on all the other areas as well. There are perks to it but with all the negatives it brings, I think addressing the issue would help me out alot. I would like to be treated atleast for a while just to see how much different it is vs where I'm at now and have always been.
Same here, it seeps into all areas of my life. Lack of relationships here too, i can barely stand myself how would someone else haha. But i'm so sick of being alone. An ADHD buddy would be awesome. A friend to hang with who gets it. Lately i have been thinking a lot about that. Having a better circle of friends so i'm not so alone.

I just started adderall, not a huge difference. Not the night and day everyone talked about. But i do notice things are a slight bit easier. Less meltdowns for me and reading comprehension is up. I can actually sit and read something without dosing off. Work is a bit better for me. I'm not so annoyed with every little thing. For us we don't know what "normal" is. So i have no idea how a non ADHD person feels or reacts. But meds help me a little bit. We are still playing with dose and all that. So mine may change again. I hear it's really common to change drugs a few times and adjust dose to fit you. The reading comprehension alone makes it worth it. It's really nice to be able to absorb info more easily. Not so scatter brained.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 06-13-18, 11:19 PM
DieselFreak DieselFreak is online now
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 20
Thanks: 9
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
DieselFreak is on a distinguished road
Re: How much does ADHD impact your life?

Yea I've got a few good friends that understand me well, but I just don't get out much and visit them a whole lot because I'm usually busy trying to finish un-finished projects I've started and also when there are several people I have a hard time talking to them unless I'm just having a conversation with one at a time. Also have a hard time making plans with them sometimes because I'll sometimes get myself into another project or get hyperfocused on something and end up being late.

As far as relationships go, I just have a very hard time approaching women because my subconscious is always there reminding me that I probably will have a hard time talking to her and following the conversation and scare her away or bore her and make it akward. I know in reality it may not be that bad but I think the ADHD definitely contributes to my social anxiety through a bit of a lack in confidence and self esteem. Also though I know rejection is part of life but when it comes to relationships, rejection tends to bother me quite a bit (which I've read is fairly common with people with ADHD). I would love to be capable of learning to be more social with women and hopefully find a good match someday.

At work, parts of my job are fast paced requiring fairly precise detail and coordination and can be dangerous. Other parts of the job leading up to the fast paced part are slow paced (prepping the stuff to be worked on; cleaning, inspecting ect). During the slow stuff I have a hard time keeping my attention centered and get bored. When it comes time for the fast paced stuff, I can sometimes focus much better and even hyperfocus and get it done good, but that's usually because I'm racing the clock trying to get done because I slacked procrastinated getting the slow part done. Another problem with this type of work pattern is that I work for a good friend and hate letting him down. Would be nice to be able to work at a better more consistent pace and not put everything to the last minute and stress both me and him out.

At home, I have alot of started projects being worked on and have some trouble keeping organized, which is embarrassing and also prevents me from inviting people over and being social.

Those are a just a few examples of how I believe ADHD (or ADD) impacts different areas of my life.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"No scientific basis" - Here's the Proof mctavish23 General ADD Talk 175 04-28-17 05:27 PM
Coincidence of ADHD and Creativity Nova General ADD Talk 44 10-25-16 01:55 AM
Sluggish Cognitive Tempo: A seperate disorder from ADHD? yankees440 Science in the Media 18 02-11-09 12:15 AM
Economic impact of ADHD Tara ADD News 0 10-20-04 01:23 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums