ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 04-16-11, 04:20 PM
Jr Member

calscooby is on a distinguished road
Ritalin, Concerta - Tolerance in 1 day?dose too small for concerta? 18mg?

So I'm 32 yo guy who has had ADD his whole life and tried treating it in the past with so-so results. Tried Ritalin, Adderall, Strattera, Concerta in past. For some reason, thought ritalin gave me a headache, concerta didn't work, adderall got me high and almost worsened my ADD to where I'd focus on one thing but switch what I was focusing on without having much control on what I was focusing on, and strattera just made me tired, irritable, and did nothing for my focusing.

So after a few years of not taking any meds and suffering in the work place, relationships, etc etc...decided to go back on it.

Of note, I'm 205lbs and will include dosages:

2 days on Ritalin 5mg twice a day.
First time I took it, it was like I entered a vacuum. All other discussions in the room disappeared and I was able to focus on just the one at hand. It was surreal. I felt slow doing my work though. And when asked questions, instead of blurting out answers without thought, I was able to hold off and think about it and give a better-thought out evaluation/etc...
However, about 3 hours after taking it, started to salivate a lot and started getting really hungry. I'm guessing it's the come-down from the short acting ritalin, but ? ...it also kinda messed up with my stomach/guts with increased need to go to the bathroom.
Then around 3 hours after my second dose, I just passed out and drooled on the book I was reading.
---so either 1 - the dose is horribly low...or 2-It's just the come down and I needed a longer acting one?

Concerta - On day #3 of concerta 18mg.
First day I took it, can describe it as somewhat of a rollercoaster. Felt like I was on a ride where it was strong and I was holding on. My front teeth felt numb and weird - had to keep pressing on them with my tongue...anyone else have something weird like this? I could definitely feel when the first dose was "released" and when the second dose was "released". I had no caffeine or anything with it but made me worried that maybe it was too strong. Was able to focus and do my stuff.
Day 2 - Cup of coffee in the morning, and breakfast then took the pill - was a little worried after taking the coffee but it had ZERO effect on me! It was like I took a placebo
Day 3 - No coffee - Took Concerta 18 early with little breakfast. Almost zero effect too.

Did I build up a tolerance after 1 day? Or is my dose just way too low? Should I wait a week to see or just ask the doctor I am seeing right away for a larger dose?
Old 04-17-11, 05:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jr1985 has a spectacular aura aboutJr1985 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ritalin, Concerta - Tolerance in 1 day?dose too small for concerta? 18mg?

I get the same come down from methylphenidate IR - tired, hungry, depressed, anxious, etc. Moving to Concerta to help with this too.

It could be because you took it after eating. It will slow down the absorption, and could prevent it from working as well as it would on an empty stomach. However, 18mg is really low so you could try increasing the dose. Remember any side effects may be temporary, so, as long as they're tolerable, try sticking to the higher dose to see if they go away with time.
Old 04-17-11, 06:02 PM
Jr Member

calscooby is on a distinguished road
Re: Ritalin, Concerta - Tolerance in 1 day?dose too small for concerta? 18mg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr1985 View Post
I get the same come down from methylphenidate IR - tired, hungry, depressed, anxious, etc. Moving to Concerta to help with this too.

It could be because you took it after eating. It will slow down the absorption, and could prevent it from working as well as it would on an empty stomach. However, 18mg is really low so you could try increasing the dose. Remember any side effects may be temporary, so, as long as they're tolerable, try sticking to the higher dose to see if they go away with time.

Thanks for the response. On day #4 now, Took it and basically had zero effect from it. So decided to take Ritalin 10mg IR along with it to simulate a larger dose and it helped much more. Noticed much better ability to focus my attention and stay into what I was doing.

The hunger pains are definitely not cool. I would take it on an empty stomach but my stomach tends to get wild pretty easily so I just have to be cautious with that.

How quickly can I move up my dosage? And when will I know what a good dose it? How do I know if the dose is too high and the "side effects" aren't going to go away?

The first day I took the 18mg, I swear I thought to myself, "woah, this is too much, I'm going to have to decrease this dose" - then next day - nothing! haha.....

The great positive side effect of this so far is that my sex drive just sky rocketed into the ******* stratosphere. Holy crap....It's like I'm 18 again!
Sponsored Links