ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 02-13-13, 09:30 PM

nmatt2189 is on a distinguished road
General conversation about taking concerta

I started taking concerta a few weeks ago, and started with 27mg a day. After about a week or so of taking it the doctor said it was fine if I doubled my dose. The first time taking it at school I noticed a big difference, but at home it didn't seem to help me as much. So now I take 54mg. My mood has always been up and down, and honestly I don't feel that I am different, but it does effect my mood to a degree, and some of the thoughts I think too. I still procrastinate when it comes to schoolwork, but I am able to sit and study when I actually do the work. So that is good. When I started taking it though there were some really rough days. At work I was really upset because of a situation with my boss. But it is hard for me to say if the concerta impacted how I was during that. There were also about three times I got really enraged at the person I am dating. I have been angry like it before though. I don't have outburst like that on a regular basis, but it happens here and there. It is hard for me to tell if it is something I need and should be taking. When I am at school I am able to pay more attention to the lecture and my notes are much more organized. Then when I am in lab I seem to be more social. I do feel like the concerta calms me down, but at the same time it kind of agitates me too. I can't deny the fact that I can just be agitated. I plan on not taking it tomorrow and on Friday to see how I feel. I've been taking it everyday for a little while now, and I want to not be on it to see how I feel. Because sometimes I feel like I want to take more. I figure it would be good to go a couple days without it. I see my doctor next week and want to have some kind of pre-thought about conversation. I don't want to just ramble as I have a tendency to do so, and I will forget important points. Does anyone else feel somewhat similar? What is your experience with taking it?
Old 02-14-13, 03:45 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General conversation about taking concerta

I am on concerta and so are my 2 teenagers. I started on 18mcg very low for 4 weeks then up to 27 for 4 weeks and then to 36 which I am on at the moment.

Going low and slow is recommended to avoid unwanted side effects and to get your body used to it.

My daughter started on 27 and it was too high, she had horrendous headaches so she dropped down for 4 weeks and then back up again with no side effects.

Your agitation may be an effect of your body adjusted to the meds. I take my meds every day, if not they donīt work as well and I can get side effects like fatigue if I miss a few days.

I donīt know why docs start people on high doses or increase very quickly. Many people have been suffering for years undiagnosed so taking a few months to try meds slowly is not going to be a hardship. You miss the opportunity to find the best dose by increasing to quickly or starting high.

SOme people do very well on lower doses.