ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 04-05-13, 09:12 PM

Servatis is on a distinguished road
Taking Vyvanse at seperate times

Ok so Im prescribed 60mg of vyvanse. I just have a question about the effects of Vyvanse when taken at different times in the same day, like taking one and a couple hours later taking another.

First of all, I am the WORST when it comes to relaxing, so almost all the negative side effects I feel are self caused. Here is my question, I know that Vyvanse is extended release, meaning one capsule contains several doses that take effect at different times after consumption. (Please correct me if that is wrong) So, it's Friday I already took one 60mg Vyvanse at 1 PM, its now 8PM my time. Is there any danger in taking another 60mg Vyvanse 6-7 hours after the first? I read this one forum like a month ago about some guy taking a lot of Vyvanse at once and something about how because he had taken so much the medicine didn't take effect until night time and by then he was overdosed and having a bad time. Since then I've been paranoid about taking anything but my prescribed dose of Vyvanse (not that I abuse this drug or take more than prescribed that often, I've been prescribed Vyvanse for 6-7 months so I have experience with it and I know pretty well how it effects me)

All I'm really asking is it dangerous to take 60mg of Vyvanse at 1PM and 60mg later at 8PM the same day.
Old 04-05-13, 11:52 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,602 Times in 10,356 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Taking Vyvanse at seperate times

Hi Servatis,

For reference, ADDF Guidelines prohibit posts condoning or encouraging misuse of medication. "Misuse" includes taking more of your own medication than you are prescribed.

The place to direct your question is to your doctor; s/he can advise you as to the safety and advisability of taking additional Vyvanse in one day.

For reference, the manufacturer recommends a maximum daily dosage of 70mg/24 hours. Although some doctors may prescribe higher amounts off-label, doubling your dose to 120mg without the advice of your physician is not a good idea. It may be especially dangerous if you consume other substances (including alcohol, nicotine, or caffeine) at the same time.

Vyvanse is supposed to last about 14 hours (per the manufacturer), but different people metabolize medications at different rates, so some people get a shorter or longer duration of effect. If the problem is that the Vyvanse is wearing off too early, and you need ADHD symptom control later in the day, it may be possible to add a "booster" dose of Dexedrine or Adderall.

If you are looking for euphoria or buzz, and feel like you need larger amounts of the medication, then it may be better to have a frank discussion with your doctor about the safety of using this medication and whether other alternatives may control your symptoms better without posing a risk of dependence/addiction.

Last edited by namazu; 04-06-13 at 12:09 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (04-06-13)
Old 04-06-13, 05:04 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,270 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

If you are prescribed 60mg once a day then it is not good to take another 60mg the same day because they you go from theraputic to abuse.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-06-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-13, 11:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,920 Times in 12,089 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

And of course you'll run out of meds before you can get a refill, and then what will you do?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-06-13)
Old 04-15-13, 11:16 PM

PatJoseph29 is on a distinguished road

Yes its dangerous both physically and mentally. My question is why take vyvanse at 8?