ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-13, 01:17 PM

ADHDlife will become famous soon enough
Smile ADHD getting by on Boring Tasks (my tips and ways)

I have been following these forums for some time now, never really got around to making an account. Until I read through the "noise in my head" thread a bit below this one and read someones reply that said something like " I wish I could learn to pick the things I can hyper-focus on to get things done." I just had somethings I do that I like to share just in case it might help someone get through school or even a monotonous job (Which is repetitive and boring therefore its easy for me to get swept away).
As most of you might agree, its hard to really focus on tasks that are of little or no interest to us. But when we like or have a great interest on something, like stated in the "knowledge is underrated" thread we can go nuts and really give it our all.After a lifetime of trying I have found a way that mostly works for me to be able to try and aim my "hyper-focus" at tasks that NEED to get done in order to move forward (and in some cases, make money). Here are my personal tips that worked for me, maybe they are common sense but if you try hard enough they can work in your favor. Maybe they can help someone here.

1. To get through schooling, it is best to adapt a like or passion for writing. I know this is a bit specific, but if you could just find your own way to gain an interest in the art of writing (not your own books or anything, just develop a like for writing everything down on paper whenever possible). If you already like writing (like many creative minds on here) then your one step closer. You'll see why its so important in a bit.
2. If things in a class or workplace are boring you and you find it hard to concentrate, break down the main goal into really tiny, slightly more interesting goals.
For example, I go to class and the professor is talking about history or a subject that doesn't interest me, I really cannot focus, so instead I grab my pen and give myself the mini-mission of taking the best damn notes ever, almost like the notes that they do in court complete with pauses and everything. Sounds silly, but since I developed a like for writing, now my task at hand is a bit less boring. So I write and write and I even include when the Professor coughs or studders just for my own personal jolly. I don't pay attention to the words I am writing at the moment, but everything you write down stays in your subconscious and if you can manage to read through that paper at least one or two more time outside of class (I do it to check for spelling errors) you actually retain more information then trying to listen in class. This is how I managed to fool my mind into hyperfocusing and learning something that doesn't peak my interest.

At work, I have a ton of filing to do and the phone rings. HOW CAN I WORK?!
I look at the clock and set my phone timer and give myself 10 minutes to do half the stack of papers. It doesn't matter that its for work, I just want to know if I can clear half the stack in 10 minutes. Where do my limits lie? Can I do it? I pump myself up and make it a personal challenge, its less about the files and the boring job, more about me beating my personal goal. The task became less boring. I think of the calls as small obstacles trying to slow me down and keep me from my goal.
3. Know the difference between your ADHD/ADD and laziness. This is a tricky one and a subtle one at that. Some of my friends (also ADDrs) don't know when its just laziness. This is how I can tell.
Example: I forget to do laundry for a week, I never once payed attention to the full basket and got caught up in other things (don't we all? XD) I don't have any clothes and I finally noticed, now that I did I have the choice of doing it or putting it off and wearing my old high school band shirt. This is where laziness might kick in. Instead, tell yourself "once this thought leaves me, I don't know when I will remember again, so let me go through the effort and do it all now." Set a goal to clear that basket all in one day, NO MATTER WHAT. Its about working with your ADHD/ADD instead of against it.

4. Lastly, Set triggers throughout your day for your mind and NEVER give yourself a huge list of things to do. None of them will ever get done. Small task bullet points on a day to day basis. I have a whiteboard by my bed, its in my face so I have no choice but to look at it in the morning. I write on the right bottom names of bills and a number for the date of the month that I should have it paid by. amounts I can settle later when I go to pay, its just a trigger for my brain. If I am at home and I remember something I need to do I run to the board and jot it down then I willingly forget it. My mind has a ton of things to do and "Mailing the letter" cannot occupy the forefront. So, the white board serves as an external hard drive of sorts. All I have to do is remember to look at it each day and its in my face so I cant help but read it.
I write with a dry erase marker on my fridge when I open it and I notice the ham I want to eat is no more or the milk is bad. Write it then forget it, when I know I am going to the grocery store, I just snap a picture of the fridge with my phone and set it as my phone background and Im off. I stare at my phone a million times and will NOT set foot outside the store until I grabbed everything on the list (I always wander and end up with a bunch of stuff not on the list, but that's OK as long as I didn't go over budget and miss anything in the list).

The important thing is not to lean on the negative aspects of ADHD and NEVER be a victim. YOU are the only one responsible for your life, your happiness and your successes and failures. Its a lot harder with ADHD/ADD but that much more effort IS worth my happiness. Trust me, things are going to happen, I might leave the kettle on for too long, forget to walk my dog, and even put my shirt on backwards, but I made it my personal goal to ALWAYS keep my word. Be honest with yourself and keep to your tasks, your mind will begin to enjoy them all if you do them long enough, and at least in my opinion, I wouldn't trade ADHD for the world. I just wouldn't be me without it, and it does have its mind expanding perks! I love getting lost in a sea or questions and daring to ask why and seek the answer. I love my flighty, imaginative self that is artistic and functional in ways that norms are not. I think many of the great minds throughout history had to be ADD/ADHD because daring to think, to question, to pursue to wonder, to ask " Why not?" is a staple of our mindset. To me, the bad of ADHD does not outweigh the good. Again this is my opinion, maybe others might not feel the same, but accepting and embracing something that isn't going to go away feels like the best move.

Sorry for rambling! I hope someone can swim through this pool of words and find something they like! Cheers!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ADHDlife For This Useful Post:
425runner (07-25-13), anonymouslyadd (07-26-13), arxonius (07-26-13), Illumination (07-26-13), Tmoney (07-26-13)
Old 07-26-13, 12:28 AM
ADDvanced Member

Illumination has a spectacular aura aboutIllumination has a spectacular aura about
Re: ADHD getting by on Boring Tasks (my tips and ways)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDlife View Post
3. Know the difference between your ADHD/ADD and laziness.
Newly on meds, I am finding that a lot of what I thought was laziness for all these years was actually ADHD. Which is nice. I just need to start a task and it gets completed now. My medicated version of laziness would be not starting the task in the first place.

Thanks for the practical ideas.
Old 07-26-13, 06:54 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,169 Times in 14,300 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

These tips all sound great but most of us with severe adhd would find even those tips to be difficult to follow. IMO adhd is diagnosed and manifests as impairments. That doesnt mean you cant see the sunny side of life but it does mean that learning to cope with adhd means acknowledging the deficits. A better way to look at it might be to try not to blame yourself for these impairments, to try and forgive yourself enough to push through another day. I dont dwell on the negative but I sure as hell realize that adhd is no gift.

Quote:
I have been following these forums for some time now, never really got around to making an account. Until I read through the "noise in my head" thread a bit below this one and read someones reply that said something like " I wish I could learn to pick the things I can hyper-focus on to get things done." I just had somethings I do that I like to share just in case it might help someone get through school or even a monotonous job (Which is repetitive and boring therefore its easy for me to get swept away).
As most of you might agree, its hard to really focus on tasks that are of little or no interest to us. But when we like or have a great interest on something, like stated in the "knowledge is underrated" thread we can go nuts and really give it our all.After a lifetime of trying I have found a way that mostly works for me to be able to try and aim my "hyper-focus" at tasks that NEED to get done in order to move forward (and in some cases, make money). Here are my personal tips that worked for me, maybe they are common sense but if you try hard enough they can work in your favor. Maybe they can help someone here.

1. To get through schooling, it is best to adapt a like or passion for writing. I know this is a bit specific, but if you could just find your own way to gain an interest in the art of writing (not your own books or anything, just develop a like for writing everything down on paper whenever possible). If you already like writing (like many creative minds on here) then your one step closer. You'll see why its so important in a bit.
2. If things in a class or workplace are boring you and you find it hard to concentrate, break down the main goal into really tiny, slightly more interesting goals.
For example, I go to class and the professor is talking about history or a subject that doesn't interest me, I really cannot focus, so instead I grab my pen and give myself the mini-mission of taking the best damn notes ever, almost like the notes that they do in court complete with pauses and everything. Sounds silly, but since I developed a like for writing, now my task at hand is a bit less boring. So I write and write and I even include when the Professor coughs or studders just for my own personal jolly. I don't pay attention to the words I am writing at the moment, but everything you write down stays in your subconscious and if you can manage to read through that paper at least one or two more time outside of class (I do it to check for spelling errors) you actually retain more information then trying to listen in class. This is how I managed to fool my mind into hyperfocusing and learning something that doesn't peak my interest.

I look at the clock and set my phone timer and give myself 10 minutes to do half the stack of papers. It doesn't matter that its for work, I just want to know if I can clear half the stack in 10 minutes. Where do my limits lie? Can I do it? I pump myself up and make it a personal challenge, its less about the files and the boring job, more about me beating my personal goal. The task became less boring. I think of the calls as small obstacles trying to slow me down and keep me from my goal.
3. Know the difference between your ADHD/ADD and laziness. This is a tricky one and a subtle one at that. Some of my friends (also ADDrs) don't know when its just laziness. This is how I can tell.
Example: I forget to do laundry for a week, I never once payed attention to the full basket and got caught up in other things (don't we all? XD) I don't have any clothes and I finally noticed, now that I did I have the choice of doing it or putting it off and wearing my old high school band shirt. This is where laziness might kick in. Instead, tell yourself "once this thought leaves me, I don't know when I will remember again, so let me go through the effort and do it all now." Set a goal to clear that basket all in one day, NO MATTER WHAT. Its about working with your ADHD/ADD instead of against it.

4. Lastly, Set triggers throughout your day for your mind and NEVER give yourself a huge list of things to do. None of them will ever get done. Small task bullet points on a day to day basis. I have a whiteboard by my bed, its in my face so I have no choice but to look at it in the morning. I write on the right bottom names of bills and a number for the date of the month that I should have it paid by. amounts I can settle later when I go to pay, its just a trigger for my brain. If I am at home and I remember something I need to do I run to the board and jot it down then I willingly forget it. My mind has a ton of things to do and "Mailing the letter" cannot occupy the forefront. So, the white board serves as an external hard drive of sorts. All I have to do is remember to look at it each day and its in my face so I cant help but read it.
I write with a dry erase marker on my fridge when I open it and I notice the ham I want to eat is no more or the milk is bad. Write it then forget it, when I know I am going to the grocery store, I just snap a picture of the fridge with my phone and set it as my phone background and Im off. I stare at my phone a million times and will NOT set foot outside the store until I grabbed everything on the list (I always wander and end up with a bunch of stuff not on the list, but that's OK as long as I didn't go over budget and miss anything in the list).

The important thing is not to lean on the negative aspects of ADHD and NEVER be a victim. YOU are the only one responsible for your life, your happiness and your successes and failures. Its a lot harder with ADHD/ADD but that much more effort IS worth my happiness. Trust me, things are going to happen, I might leave the kettle on for too long, forget to walk my dog, and even put my shirt on backwards, but I made it my personal goal to ALWAYS keep my word. Be honest with yourself and keep to your tasks, your mind will begin to enjoy them all if you do them long enough, and at least in my opinion, I wouldn't trade ADHD for the world. I just wouldn't be me without it, and it does have its mind expanding perks! I love getting lost in a sea or questions and daring to ask why and seek the answer. I love my flighty, imaginative self that is artistic and functional in ways that norms are not. I think many of the great minds throughout history had to be ADD/ADHD because daring to think, to question, to pursue to wonder, to ask " Why not?" is a staple of our mindset. To me, the bad of ADHD does not outweigh the good. Again this is my opinion, maybe others might not feel the same, but accepting and embracing something that isn't going to go away feels like the best move.

Sorry for rambling! I hope someone can swim through this pool of words and find something they like! Cheers!

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (07-27-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-13, 08:15 AM
Forum Guru

Thanked 2,057 Times in 740 Posts
VeryTired has a reputation beyond reputeVeryTired has a reputation beyond reputeVeryTired has a reputation beyond reputeVeryTired has a reputation beyond reputeVeryTired has a reputation beyond reputeVeryTired has a reputation beyond reputeVeryTired has a reputation beyond reputeVeryTired has a reputation beyond reputeVeryTired has a reputation beyond reputeVeryTired has a reputation beyond reputeVeryTired has a reputation beyond repute

I love your list! I hope more people will be inspired to share theirs, I'm sure you're not the only one to have figured out systems that work for you. I am going to share your list with my partner who has ADHD. It's not that I think he could necessarily adopt your specific techniques, but rather that I hope your way of explaining how you thought about the problems so as to come up with your own solutions is so effective. Thanks for posting this.
Old 07-26-13, 12:51 PM
Contributor

arxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to allarxonius is a name known to all

Quote:

Awesone tips. Heres one of my own. I never knew why I did this as I was not diagnosed yet,but it was just the way I found to keep some level of motivation over a semester. Now I know why,Barkley talks about how grades at the end of a semester are a poor way of motivating us. I wanted to get good grades,becuase I wanted to go to gradaute school. The trick I learned was to CONSTANTLY monitor your grade in the class. If I didnt monitor the grade,I would find that at the end,it would be dissapointing,becuase I would blow off one thing after another,and then suddenly realize at the end that there was no more time to make it up. Its very easy to blow off a homework assignment today,thinking its only one out of many,and it wont affect my grade much. Then do it again and again. I know intellectually that all the little things can add up to a big thing,but I have less emotional perception of that.

So,keep small bound notebook for your grades,with a running tally of how your grade is. Sort of,if I got a grade in this class,based only on what I have done,what would it be. Try to keep it as high as possible. Allways shoot for an A,in fact shoot for a high A. The reason is,if you shoot for a B,then thats the highest you will EVER get,but you may for various reasons end up with less. So resolve to yourself that your going to get an A. When you see that your grade is an A,then you should be happy,but you also can see right there from the numbers,how easy it is to lose it and end up with a B. Now,project the grades on average you need on everything else for the rest of the semester. This is very important for motivation. You can see it right there in black and white. It should now be easier to understand on a more emotional level,why you need to do as well as possible on every assignment and how easy it is to slip down a grade. Every time you hand in an assignment you need to recalculate the average grade you need on everything in the REST of the class to get an A. If you slip below an A,you will STILL try to get as close as you can. There are two reasons for this. If you change your criteria to a B,you might end up slipping below that too. But there is another reason. Sometimes,the professor looks at the distribution of grades,and adjusts the cutoffs,so you might end up with an A anyway,or he could offer extra credit.Or he may just look at how you did better and better as the class went on and give you the A if you missed it by a half a percent. Ive even had a professor give me an A becuase I got a 99% on the final,and the next highest score was a 85. Most of the people that got around 85% got As too,becuase they had over 90%,I had 86% in the class,but he gave me an A becuase he felt that I had shown a lot of improvement and based on the final demonstrated a superior understanding of the material. Its not common,but keep that in mind,becuase it keeps you from lowering your expectations.

Now as you go through the class,if you come in below the target number,then dont look at it as something thats "no big deal becuase you can make up those points" Its a HUGE deal. Its not a crushing defeat,but think about how it makes it more difficult in the rest of the class. You will see that in black and white too,becuase you will have recalcuated the target number you need to exceed on every assignment to get your A. Consider how if it exceeds 100%,its unlikely you will get your grade. However,also consider that if it exceeds say 95%,its very difficult.

This kept me on track and understanding what I was getting and prevented me from having a C sneak up on me. I never realized this,but it also changes the goal. Rather than the goal,being a grade,at some distant time in the future,that is only weakly connected to my performance on this particlar homework assignment,the goal is the grade that I am calculating TODAY,based on the homework assighnment I turned in yesterday. The goal is also beating that target grade that I just calculated,on the homework assignment Im doing right now.
Old 07-26-13, 01:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,238 Times in 3,063 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a pretty good writer, at least that's what people tell me.

I still freaking hate it. There is simply no possible way for me to develop a passion for it- I have tried. I find it ironic that I'm actually pretty good at something I despise doing.

It seems that you are just talking about note taking though? I don't really consider that writing. I do agree that one should develop a passion for note taking! I love taking notes, even though I rarely revisit them after the first day. The same goes for my to do lists. I love them so much that I'll have about 10 to do lists going at one time

And in my experience ADHD = laziness. Without ADHD, I would not be lazy.
Old 07-27-13, 01:29 AM

Smile Re: ADHD getting by on Boring Tasks (my tips and ways)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
discourage me tips all sound great but most of us with severe adhd would find even those tips to be difficult to follow. IMO adhd is diagnosed and manifests as impairments. That doesnt mean you cant see the sunny side of life but it does mean that learning to cope with adhd means acknowledging the deficits. A better way to look at it might be to try not to blame yourself for these impairments, to try and forgive yourself enough to push through another day. I dont dwell on the negative but I sure as hell realize that adhd is no gift.
Sarah, while ADD/ADHD does have its deficits and its impairments, again and this is just my opinion, but I just wouldn't want to be without it. I can understand how that might sound to someone who doesn't like the condition, and mind you there are many aspects about ADHD that constantly set me back, and delay progress on a daily basis, frustrate me and even discourages me , but I was diagnosed younger, went through the rigamarole of medication, special schools, social anxiety, the works due to ADHD. there were points that coupled with anxiety and depression, I was nearly non functional. growing up, maturity and adaptation has taken me to a place where not only do I accept my ADHD, but I embrace it as part of my personality. I have accepted that who I am, my Likes, dreams ,goals and aspirations all partly involve the ADHD side of me. ADHD is most definitely not a gift, but it has shaped my personality and even my interests. honestly once I accepted it and even embraced it, I really gotten the most control of my life that I've ever had. again this is just my opinion it doesn't necessarily apply to everybody, but if it worked for me who knows who else it might work for if they just gave it a chance? I really appreciate you sharing your point of view and your feelings, if it's tough for me I can imagine how tough it might be for someone with even more severe ADHD.

Last edited by namazu; 07-27-13 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDlife For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (07-27-13)
Old 07-27-13, 01:35 AM

Wink Re: ADHD getting by on Boring Tasks (my tips and ways)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTired View Post
I love your list! I hope more people will be inspired to share theirs, I'm sure you're not the only one to have figured out systems that work for you. I am going to share your list with my partner who has ADHD. It's not that I think he could necessarily adopt your specific techniques, but rather that I hope your way of explaining how you thought about the problems so as to come up with your own solutions is so effective. Thanks for posting this.
I am so happy to hear that this can help somebody, you made my day! I am sure every single person on this form has had to adapt develop Clever little techniques to get by daily. I really hope more people share, I love any tips I can get to make daily life smoother.
Old 07-27-13, 01:40 AM

Talking Re: ADHD getting by on Boring Tasks (my tips and ways)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxonius View Post
Awesone tips. Heres one of my own. I never knew why I did this as I was not diagnosed yet,but it was just the way I found to keep some level of motivation over a semester. Now I know why,Barkley talks about how grades at the end of a semester are a poor way of motivating us. I wanted to get good grades,becuase I wanted to go to gradaute school. The trick I learned was to CONSTANTLY monitor your grade in the class. If I didnt monitor the grade,I would find that at the end,it would be dissapointing,becuase I would blow off one thing after another,and then suddenly realize at the end that there was no more time to make it up. Its very easy to blow off a homework assignment today,thinking its only one out of many,and it wont affect my grade much. Then do it again and again. I know intellectually that all the little things can add up to a big thing,but I have less emotional perception of that.

So,keep small bound notebook for your grades,with a running tally of how your grade is. Sort of,if I got a grade in this class,based only on what I have done,what would it be. Try to keep it as high as possible. Allways shoot for an A,in fact shoot for a high A. The reason is,if you shoot for a B,then thats the highest you will EVER get,but you may for various reasons end up with less. So resolve to yourself that your going to get an A. When you see that your grade is an A,then you should be happy,but you also can see right there from the numbers,how easy it is to lose it and end up with a B. Now,project the grades on average you need on everything else for the rest of the semester. This is very important for motivation. You can see it right there in black and white. It should now be easier to understand on a more emotional level,why you need to do as well as possible on every assignment and how easy it is to slip down a grade. Every time you hand in an assignment you need to recalculate the average grade you need on everything in the REST of the class to get an A. If you slip below an A,you will STILL try to get as close as you can. There are two reasons for this. If you change your criteria to a B,you might end up slipping below that too. But there is another reason. Sometimes,the professor looks at the distribution of grades,and adjusts the cutoffs,so you might end up with an A anyway,or he could offer extra credit.Or he may just look at how you did better and better as the class went on and give you the A if you missed it by a half a percent. Ive even had a professor give me an A becuase I got a 99% on the final,and the next highest score was a 85. Most of the people that got around 85% got As too,becuase they had over 90%,I had 86% in the class,but he gave me an A becuase he felt that I had shown a lot of improvement and based on the final demonstrated a superior understanding of the material. Its not common,but keep that in mind,becuase it keeps you from lowering your expectations.

Now as you go through the class,if you come in below the target number,then dont look at it as something thats "no big deal becuase you can make up those points" Its a HUGE deal. Its not a crushing defeat,but think about how it makes it more difficult in the rest of the class. You will see that in black and white too,becuase you will have recalcuated the target number you need to exceed on every assignment to get your A. Consider how if it exceeds 100%,its unlikely you will get your grade. However,also consider that if it exceeds say 95%,its very difficult.

This kept me on track and understanding what I was getting and prevented me from having a C sneak up on me. I never realized this,but it also changes the goal. Rather than the goal,being a grade,at some distant time in the future,that is only weakly connected to my performance on this particlar homework assignment,the goal is the grade that I am calculating TODAY,based on the homework assighnment I turned in yesterday. The goal is also beating that target grade that I just calculated,on the homework assignment Im doing right now.
this is a great tip! thanks so much, I actually do something sort of similar when it comes to the school grades. your tip actually reminds me of my life motto( yeah I know its cheesy but I have one) shoot for the moon even if you miss you'll land among the stars. always aim higher then what you want because even if you fall a little short it'll always be more then if you only aimed for what you wanted. you can think of any other ones please feel free to share!