ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 10-23-15, 10:32 AM

Matador is a glorious beacon of lightMatador is a glorious beacon of lightMatador is a glorious beacon of lightMatador is a glorious beacon of lightMatador is a glorious beacon of light
Re: College and ADHD-How does everyone study?

I was recently diagnosed a year ago, so I never took any meds to keep me focused in college. I graduated...don't know how...but Idid.

I found, that I studied the best when I would wake up early morning, many times this was the day before or the day of and I would study my notes ( tried REALLY hard to take good notes), or read chapters because I had no distractions with no noise early morning.

This REALLY helped me.

I also, since I was young, had good listening skills, so I could remember a good amount from lectures...but as I got older it was harder to do, so I forced myself to take as best notes as I could...

Keep in mind though, I graduated college with a 2.8. LOL
Old 10-23-15, 03:43 PM

Brachenheiser is a glorious beacon of lightBrachenheiser is a glorious beacon of lightBrachenheiser is a glorious beacon of lightBrachenheiser is a glorious beacon of lightBrachenheiser is a glorious beacon of lightBrachenheiser is a glorious beacon of light

They only way I really learn things is by teaching it to others, or talking out loud as if I was teaching. When I do that it quickly exposes what I haven't learned. A less effective way for me to learn is through lots and lots of repetition.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brachenheiser For This Useful Post:
Asatekin (01-02-16), ToneTone (10-08-16)
Old 10-02-16, 10:07 PM

Justine2 is on a distinguished road

My study method is to take chicken scratch notes in lecture just to get info down, then go home and rewrite VERY detailed colour coordinated notes in my own words from the lecture powerpoint/notes I took in class. What I do when I'm writing the detailed notes is do it with the objective that if someone who was completely clueless about the topic were to read it, they would be able to understand the topic (so writing it as if I am teaching it). I find this gives me the BEST POSSIBLE understanding of the material. I also really love using a big white board or chalk board (you can buy one on amazon) to visually help me work out concepts and practice problems. Idk why but white board writing helps study better than paper and pen lol. For days leading up to a test I just re-read my detailed notes, do some practice tests (with a timer), get clarification on any last minute stuff, then I am good to go.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-16, 08:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,095 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

So hold on ... what do you need to study for? ... Graduate school? ... You already graduated from undergrad right? ...

Tell us the context in which you want to learn to study better. As it happens I have ADHD and am a teacher and I'm teaching on that very subject right now, so I may be able to make some suggestions. BTW: taking good notes, especially by hand, is one of THE BEST moves you can make--as is developing the listening skills that you talk about. Those two methods right there can take you a long way .... But there are others techniques. But first tell me a bit more about the program your want to develop these skills for ...

Tone
The Following User Says Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-08-16)
Old 06-02-17, 01:23 AM

VoxPopuli has a spectacular aura aboutVoxPopuli has a spectacular aura about

Once, when taking a mastering ________(write in whatever program you're trying to master) training course, I explained to the instructor that I was having trouble keeping up with the mandatory reading list - and I'm pretty good at reading - he said he wasn't surprised, that the course work was actually an adaptation of PhD level psychology training doctors in Gestalt therapy. Training PhD's in how to control groups of mentally ill patients.

It wasn't just that there was a LOT of required reading material, it was the depth of the concepts. He shared with me the way he changed his study habits when he was a PhD candidate: don't try to understand what you read, just read a pre-determined number of pages of the required material, enough to complete the reading by the time the next class rolled around...most post-graduate psych class work has adapted a bit of gestalt training. This, combined with the chapter tests were designed to repeat much of what your subconscious had devoured from the first read through.

Prior to this, I used to read, re-read, re-re-read.. thinking I would eventually grasp it. It never worked as well as the instructors suggestion. I still use this method today, especially when it comes to adopting/adapting new technology to my work. I also applied this technique to earning my amateur radio license...which I only mention because I typically struggle with the degree of difficulty of any physics/engineering type topics. I've become known as an early adopter of automation technology...

...if they only knew!?
EYEgor: Abby... Normal. Yes that's it, Abby Normal!