ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 12-14-04, 12:39 PM
Contributor

janesays is on a distinguished road
I posted a thread in this forum with a link to a learning styles quiz. If you stay and explore the website there are study tips given based on your learning style.

I learn best through physically doing something. I think with the ADD it helps when you are learning something new to involve all of your senses, or as many as you can. I found that instead of just reading something I need to study I also write it down, I visual the concept, then I draw a picture. When I read a text book I always write as I'm reading because I feel as if somehow I am more involved in my studying because I am doing something physical. But sometimes that isn't enough because it will become mechanical and my mind will drift elsewhere as I'm reading and writing. If I set a goal for my self or a time limit on each chapter in order to stay on task this helps too.

JAne
Old 12-16-04, 09:19 PM
Contributor

Slowpoke will become famous soon enough
if only there were a service from which one could rent people to stand over one with a stick
or small cattle prod, to keep one in the seat.
or get one there.

He he... I'll do it, I need the money!
Actually, you CAN hire someone to do that, it's uh, sort of a Dominatrix kind of mentality... well the psychology of it is at any rate. I'm a psych major (working/struggling through my second major, geography)

I like janesays' point, of finding a way that uses ALL of the senses.

I have been struggling A LOT lately, I have an anxiety disorder so writing papers is really hard for me. Sometimes it feels like I'm literally frozen in place... and I have started to really looking deep inside myself to try and understand why it is.

So after doing a LOT of research and reading parts of books I've accumulated, I figured that several factors are contributing to the academic hold up...

1. anxiety - includes panic attacks, and avoidance

2. low frustration tolerance... blowing things out of proportion. That is, the perceived sense of dread is out of balance with the actual task

3. severe deficiency in time awareness, in terms of how much time has passed since having started a task

4. lack of internal locus of control

Basically, I've had a lot of troubles with school, particularly having difficulty with writing essays. I get 95% on oral presentations, but struggle to write papers. So the experiences are lingering in my mind, so that even the thought of the PAPER is enough to make my muscles freeze up and stay in my comfort zone on the couch.

I have a low frustration tolerance, meaning that when I get confused my brain just sets off in a spin, so I've been working on slowing down the thoughts and reminding myself that it's NOT A SHAME to have to go over where I am every few minutes by looking at an outline of some sort.

Time awareness has been a big challenge... especially when paired up with the avoidance habit. If I do get down to doing some reading, my breaks end up just taking me away from the task altogether... timers, analog clocks, vibrating reminders at intervals... have not helped.

However, I have found that setting my stop watch is something my brain seems to be able to process. THe countdown timer was not really helpful, and I have a theory that my brain processes information regarding time easier if it understands how much time has passed, rather than how much time I have left.

Locus of control... I've read in serveral places on the intra-webb ;p that AD/HDers have an extrinsic locus of control - meaning that external factors are what we respond and react to, rather than internal. So instead of being sensitive to what I really want to do (work on the paper, and finish it...) I respond to environmental things, other people, sounds, etc.

That last one is particularly interesting for me as a psych major, since it suggests that motivation could be improved if I were to try to focus on what I'm striving for, and internalize my purposes for a task. I get caught up in worrying about how to explain to the profs why the paper is not done yet, and how I'm going to feel, worry whether or not it's going to get done, if I'll have trouble with it (actually, I TELL myself that I will... but I'm working on changing that).

So I've had some better success with using the stop watch approach.
If it works, then it's all good, right?
I don't like writing papers, and it made me feel better that my boyfriend said no one likes doing the work, but you feel better having done a good job with it.

Taking that into account, I've made a conscious effort to make sure I am being more encouraging to myself, and reinforcing all the good stuff I get done. This has recently ended up in the form of really appreciating the effort it took to get down to work, acknowledging that it was something I really didn't want to do, but that I MADE myself do it. (In the past, I've usually ended up scolding myself by saying that it took too long to do it; being in the frame of mind that I should already have this mastered).

Any suggestions are more than welcome!
This thread is really great.
Makes me feel not so alone.

thanks everyone.
it's been hard to stay positive about my deficiencies the past few weeks.
edgar frog (09-12-10), essxjay (10-08-08), hillzy (09-19-08), leeleenat (10-10-12), Science112 (07-18-16)
Old 12-19-04, 05:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ms_sunshine has a spectacular aura aboutms_sunshine has a spectacular aura about
rotflmao rob, i think there probably are people who would be willing to cattle prod you for a fee, but are you sure it's wise to advertise this wish on the internet? you'll get all sorts of crazies signing up! seriously, the more disinterested I was in a subject, the more difficult it was for me to hyperfocus on the task at hand. The solution for me was to understand how many pages I "HAD" to get through, and then give myself pre-determined rewards with a timer when I accomplished different steps. I took many, many (did I mention many?) breaks while getting thru them, as long as I got thru them actually grasping the material. I didn't get the reward if I just went thru the motions...I had to really try. For some reason, this worked for me, although I do sometimes twitch whenever a bell rings...
The Following User Says Thank You to ms_sunshine For This Useful Post:
aga4333 (08-13-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-04, 08:59 PM
Forum ADDvocate

charlie is on a distinguished road
voice recognition software?

Slowpoke,
Have you tried any voice recognition software?

I'm wondering if you could verbally get most of your work on paper via your computer this might help lessen your anxiety?

Just thinking with my fingers here.

{Slowpoke}
Basically, I've had a lot of troubles with school, particularly having difficulty with writing essays. I get 95% on oral presentations, but struggle to write papers. So the experiences are lingering in my mind, so that even the thought of the PAPER is enough to make my muscles freeze up and stay in my comfort zone on the couch}

avatar= Carol Kane Angel :Scrooged

Old 12-20-04, 02:18 AM
ADDvanced Member

robmhill is on a distinguished road
slow poke that is a good list, so you can recognise the problem
early
i get anzious some
but moslty it is frustration
and blowing things out of proportion
thus giving me an excuse not to do it.

i have to rememb er constantly about time, tried an alarm set every 20 minutes but that did not work. so i am learning to remind myself
and check the time, also to stay off the internet.
i can see a stop watch just making stress

and away from tv both such time

and the inner locus is like rotmom said practice it enough it will becomes habit
and it takes time,

so far no serious offers on the cattle prod front,
i did have an old girlfriend who was taught personally by Robert Maplethorp, but she was very expensive when she was in the business.

luckily she was not into it in her personal life. ;-))
Old 12-20-04, 06:29 PM
Contributor

Slowpoke will become famous soon enough
Hey peeps,
The issue wasn't as much verbal (talking) as much as STRUCTURED content.
I've actually been doing a LOT of reading on time awareness; thinking patterns; and other stuff that affects how I absorb information...

I actually tried something new the other day...
AND IT WORKED!!!

here are my general findings:

1. AD/HDers THINK differently.

most of the stuff in school is presented in a chronological format... meaning "first this happens, then this and then this, and then what happens is this"
That way doesn't help us, b/c we need to SEE the big picture in terms of RELATIONSHIPS, not events.

That means that if we are able to (which with a short term working memory LD, I can't very well) keep our eye on the big picture during a lecture when the prof presents it at the beginning of the class (if we are that lucky...) it would help a lot.

Since it takes me time to understand the big picture to begin with, the typical way of reading a big long book just was making it realllly hard for me to see the relationships.

Having also read about being active in studying in order to really learn material, I came up with a way that requires me to do that. (No matter how hard I tried to 'remember' to be active and keep stepping back to ask questions, I would end up reading all the words).

READ BACKWARDS.
on several levels...

I have a book critique from last semester (April) that is again overdue... it's been really hard, as it's super detailed based on research. Really interesting topic though.
So that threw out the notion that it needs to be interesting.
Also, in order to write the report, I had to understand details in a way so I could do the critique. So I couldn't just do the 'don't need to know every detail' attitude.
I had to know details to a certain extent.

So, I was getting stuck and confused about where it was all going and where the author had already been in his arguments and reasoning etc...

I got frustrated and just thought, geesh, I should just read the conclusion to figure out what the whole point is...

I read the conclusion instead of continuiing, and it was better than going through it in chapter order... but still not clear enough.

So then, I tried something else, and this time IT WORKED!!

What I did was:

READ BACKWARDS BY PARAGRAPH.

sounds silly and confusing, but it really helped me a lot.

For some reason, it actually made the main points and arguments stand out really clearly - probably b/c you read the main points taken from the previous chapter first, and then the details.

Reading it backwards also forces me to flip back and forth and locate where the author is drawing the ideas from. I end up having to scan the last paragraph quickly to see where something was mentioned, and also the paragraph before the one I'm currently on.

Taking it down to reading the paragraph backwards by sentence also works really well in this case.

I'm not sure how it would work in textbooks, but I'm thinking it might help if I were to take the material topic by topic, but still read the summary paragraph first and then work backward from there.

This sounds really weird, but I've been looking for the best way to ensure that I UNDERSTAND material (b/c that's the only way to ensure I'm getting what I'm paying for...) and this is the only thing that has helped so far... hopefully it will work for other academic kinds of reading.

Has anyone else used this?
Does it work?
If you havn't tried it, please try it out and let me know if it does make things easier...
I'm curious to see whether or not I'm an oddball...
AshT (05-21-11), aystro (06-19-11), bananajunk (11-04-11), Drewbacca (04-11-12), edgar frog (09-12-10), loveydovey25 (03-19-11), Pelekus (05-05-11), Science112 (07-18-16)
Old 12-21-04, 11:42 AM
Contributor

janesays is on a distinguished road
Reading backwards.....that's a very good idea. It makes sense because when I read forwards everything just flows too well and I read the words without really knowing what they mean. But when you read it backwards you are challenging yourself to comprehend the main idea, by taking apart the structure of the paragraph.
Old 01-12-05, 07:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

damn slowpoke
good points!!!!

i often read about the book too, and when i read a news paper article i read the first and last paragraphs first then the middle, good points.
Old 03-03-05, 04:56 PM
Forum Guru

KnittingJunkie has disabled reputation
Duuuude! I do that sometimes and it totally works--even before I got diagnosed I did it! (Of course, pre-dex, things stayed in my brain for all of 2 days max, but...) That's sooo funny!

Chrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke
Hey peeps,
The issue wasn't as much verbal (talking) as much as STRUCTURED content.
I've actually been doing a LOT of reading on time awareness; thinking patterns; and other stuff that affects how I absorb information...

I actually tried something new the other day...
AND IT WORKED!!!

here are my general findings:

1. AD/HDers THINK differently.

most of the stuff in school is presented in a chronological format... meaning "first this happens, then this and then this, and then what happens is this"
That way doesn't help us, b/c we need to SEE the big picture in terms of RELATIONSHIPS, not events.

That means that if we are able to (which with a short term working memory LD, I can't very well) keep our eye on the big picture during a lecture when the prof presents it at the beginning of the class (if we are that lucky...) it would help a lot.

Since it takes me time to understand the big picture to begin with, the typical way of reading a big long book just was making it realllly hard for me to see the relationships.

Having also read about being active in studying in order to really learn material, I came up with a way that requires me to do that. (No matter how hard I tried to 'remember' to be active and keep stepping back to ask questions, I would end up reading all the words).

READ BACKWARDS.
on several levels...

I have a book critique from last semester (April) that is again overdue... it's been really hard, as it's super detailed based on research. Really interesting topic though.
So that threw out the notion that it needs to be interesting.
Also, in order to write the report, I had to understand details in a way so I could do the critique. So I couldn't just do the 'don't need to know every detail' attitude.
I had to know details to a certain extent.

So, I was getting stuck and confused about where it was all going and where the author had already been in his arguments and reasoning etc...

I got frustrated and just thought, geesh, I should just read the conclusion to figure out what the whole point is...

I read the conclusion instead of continuiing, and it was better than going through it in chapter order... but still not clear enough.

So then, I tried something else, and this time IT WORKED!!

What I did was:

READ BACKWARDS BY PARAGRAPH.

sounds silly and confusing, but it really helped me a lot.

For some reason, it actually made the main points and arguments stand out really clearly - probably b/c you read the main points taken from the previous chapter first, and then the details.

Reading it backwards also forces me to flip back and forth and locate where the author is drawing the ideas from. I end up having to scan the last paragraph quickly to see where something was mentioned, and also the paragraph before the one I'm currently on.

Taking it down to reading the paragraph backwards by sentence also works really well in this case.

I'm not sure how it would work in textbooks, but I'm thinking it might help if I were to take the material topic by topic, but still read the summary paragraph first and then work backward from there.

This sounds really weird, but I've been looking for the best way to ensure that I UNDERSTAND material (b/c that's the only way to ensure I'm getting what I'm paying for...) and this is the only thing that has helped so far... hopefully it will work for other academic kinds of reading.

Has anyone else used this?
Does it work?
If you havn't tried it, please try it out and let me know if it does make things easier...
I'm curious to see whether or not I'm an oddball...
Old 03-03-05, 05:00 PM
Forum Guru

KnittingJunkie has disabled reputation
There's an idea...I'm bad with procrastination sometimes!

To study while my kid's home, though, he has to be in the same room...and if he's in the same room, there are two choices:

1) Mommy mommy mommy I want to sit on your lap!

or

2) Educational children's tv.

All in all, the TV isn't great, but hey, better than my lap.

Chrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmhill
if only there were a service from which one could rent people to stand over one with a stick
or small cattle prod, to keep one in the seat.
or get one there.

learning is a breeze for me
it is staying still long enough to do what i need to that is the problem.
Old 03-04-05, 12:19 AM
Contributor

bnsforu2 is on a distinguished road
I just opened for business.
1 poke and 1 prod.
Priceline dot come like.
Name your price $____.

P

Old 03-06-05, 02:43 AM

armyrebel4 is on a distinguished road
My school has several options you can use just like any other college. For me, it just depends on the class. Sometimes I don't even study, other times I will study on what is needed. For exams I will break them up over a few days and for other ones I take them in a quiet area.
Old 03-06-05, 09:01 AM
Contributor

bnsforu2 is on a distinguished road
seriously,

though,

studying is tough to focus for me as well.

i read 15 min in a book for fun first to warm up my brain.

then switch materials to study materials.

P
Old 03-07-05, 12:37 AM
Banned

mccoffee is on a distinguished road
I don't study enough rofl it's like what most understand concepts details come later but with my feild most of the time i pefer trial and error configure a cisco router stuff like that.

I just re read the chapter for 15mins belive or not your brain cannot learn more then 15mins at a time so that's how i do it.

My promblem is rembering the details, the test taking is what kills me i over analyze to many questions, so regaurdless if i study or not i still don't do as high as i should.

If it's avable at your school there is a course called college surival or courses on how to study it gave me alot of great tips also some schools have memory organization courses that might help.
Old 03-13-05, 01:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginchaos
His "secret" to me was - understand the information so you could teach it to someone (if you had to). LOL - so, I talk to myself a lot more lately!!
Studying this way has cut down my studying time!
I wish I knew this when I was in undergrad. . . . .

What studying methods are best for you?
that bit i knew but taking the time to do the work was my problem as i said before

but i have found a solution for me anyway =-))
i talked to friends who find it easy to study about not being able to study at home
and none of them can do it either
they study at the librery in the quiet study areas
one told me he does about 90% there and has a hard time doing the other 10% at home.
as he has to cook for his girlfriend and clean.

so i have tried that
i do it on one of the tables so it is an open area not a corral desk
this way there are little distractions
(like russian girls walking by
in tight jeans and high heeled boots)

i have to study and stay at the table as security freaks if you leave bags lying around, (terrorism).

and this way i have the time to do the work
in a place where i pretty much have to work, i cann't get distracted for more than a minute or two.

and that sort of distraction is good as you then refocus on what you are doing.

One other thing if i am in a long class and i find myself fading i go to the john and walk a quick circle through the hall, then i am still focused.