ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 07-31-17, 04:44 PM
ADDvanced Member

userguide has a spectacular aura aboutuserguide has a spectacular aura about
How to improve your 2nd language speaking if you're ADHD ?

I can't find a good solution.

I need to be able to talk to some people in a persuasive manner, in a second language.

When I read coaching tutorials, I find them useless cause of adhd.
They all say train every day, repeat and talk to people.

I hate talking to people.

When I read language-learning advice, I find them useless cause of adhd.

They say train every day and watch movies. And talk to people.

This way I am not going to be ready in 10 years.

Is there any specially crafted way for adhd people with slow words retrieval, waning
willpower and poor consistency ?

Do I have a chance to be persuasive ?

Last edited by userguide; 07-31-17 at 04:58 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to userguide For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-31-17), stef (07-31-17)
Old 07-31-17, 05:20 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,115 Times in 12,775 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to improve your 2nd language speaking if you're ADHD ?

Do you know the basics of this second language?

I majored in french and live here now but some days I find it difficult to be " persuasive".
Ironically, the language barrier can work in your favor - because the other person thinks you are struggling with prononciation or something when in reality you are actually trying to collect your thoughts.

What methods worked best for you in school, in general - writing things down?

dont bother with the advice just listen or read about whatever you may be interested in, in the other language.

haha I also hate talking to people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-31-17), userguide (07-31-17)
Old 07-31-17, 05:25 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,422 Times in 9,092 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're super-duper-naturally gifted in languages (and often, even then), exposure and practice are key to improving comprehension, vocabulary, and speaking skills.

If you hate talking to other people, talk to yourself! Talk back to your TV or radio! Play a 2nd-language radio station or podcast in the background while you work, if it's not too distracting, just to train your ear to hear the sounds of the second language. Look up the lyrics to a catchy song and translate them. Try Duolinguo (or similar interactive program) or (if you can stomach the thought) a local language meetup group. Find a nonjudgmental buddy to practice with (for accountability/motivation), or barter language-training time for one of your skills.

And as Stef said, let the fact that it's your 2nd language work in your favor! Some people are suckers for foreign accents!

Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (11-16-17), userguide (07-31-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-17, 11:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
Do you know the basics of this second language?

I majored in french and live here now but some days I find it difficult to be " persuasive".
Ironically, the language barrier can work in your favor - because the other person thinks you are struggling with prononciation or something when in reality you are actually trying to collect your thoughts.

What methods worked best for you in school, in general - writing things down?

dont bother with the advice just listen or read about whatever you may be interested in, in the other language.

haha I also hate talking to people.
I do
I don't see it as a favour - when I am struggling to collect words and maybe mispronunciate, the other person is not thinking he's talking to a professional.

I am a syntactic person I think, much worse listener and speaker.
And I need to speak fluently and, even worse, by phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Unless you're super-duper-naturally gifted in languages (and often, even then), exposure and practice are key to improving comprehension, vocabulary, and speaking skills.

If you hate talking to other people, talk to yourself! Talk back to your TV or radio! Play a 2nd-language radio station or podcast in the background while you work, if it's not too distracting, just to train your ear to hear the sounds of the second language. Look up the lyrics to a catchy song and translate them. Try Duolinguo (or similar interactive program) or (if you can stomach the thought) a local language meetup group. Find a nonjudgmental buddy to practice with (for accountability/motivation), or barter language-training time for one of your skills.

And as Stef said, let the fact that it's your 2nd language work in your favor! Some people are suckers for foreign accents!

Good luck!
Good ideas. I may sound like I look for excuses, but let's define the problem.
- I talk to myself sometimes. Maybe it helps, maybe not. No idea.
- Must try talk to TV or radio. Sounds silly but maybe could help
- Listening is too distracting. Unless I will spin the same song all the time which gives nothing.
- local meetup & barter - I need to rethink that - it's hard to find a match.
I think it would be good to find anb objective metric for the progress in speaking.
It seems that I can't move on (and it's my adhd or anxiety or ineptitude), and it's hard to find an educated partner when you speak slowly.

Or maybe I think faster than can speak and it makes me anxious ?

I don't know what the problem is.

Sometimes I don't talk for weeks to anybody. In any language. I mean a conversation longer than 1 minute.

I think maybe something strictly arranged, like a play or something would help.
I am not good at spontaneous production.

idk.
Old 08-01-17, 03:48 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,115 Times in 12,775 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking faster than you can speak!
that is probably my biggest issue and it's a problem in all areas of my life, really.
It makes these kind of "persuasive phone things" so difficult

In French it's a bit surprising when a native english speaker is nearly fluent in the first place so it works to my advantage also, i suppose it's cultural.

Could you practice with some random phone calls?
For example if there is a store or business operating in the language you need to use, call and ask what time they close, or get directions, well some kind of typical question.
totally anonymous
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-01-17), peripatetic (11-16-17), userguide (08-01-17)
Old 08-01-17, 09:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
Thinking faster than you can speak!
that is probably my biggest issue and it's a problem in all areas of my life, really.
It makes these kind of "persuasive phone things" so difficult

In French it's a bit surprising when a native english speaker is nearly fluent in the first place so it works to my advantage also, i suppose it's cultural.

Could you practice with some random phone calls?
For example if there is a store or business operating in the language you need to use, call and ask what time they close, or get directions, well some kind of typical question.
totally anonymous
Yes, phonecalls, I forgot it - thx for bringing it up
Or maybe I should get a temp job at a call center ?
Maybe I will learn something before I get fired

I actually got some more ideas...

I see your point with French, I think it works in most languages.

I will be taken advantage of if I won't be seen as fluent, though. Amid compliments for my cool accent of course.

I also need to learn some composition not to start all sentences with "I"

Regarding the "thinking faster", I think it's more of an adhd multithreading, rather than a linguistic problem.

Hence my question if maybe a therapy for adhders with irregular speech flow could help.
Old 08-04-17, 07:38 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,238 Times in 8,584 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Exposure is the key. If you have the option, go to countries where the language is spoken and spend time there.

Also, a neat tool to learn languages is Duolingo. The only catch is its availability for your specific situation.
namazu (09-07-17), userguide (08-04-17)
Old 09-06-17, 10:58 PM

PoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek View Post
Exposure is the key. If you have the option, go to countries where the language is spoken and spend time there.
I've studied a number of different languages, but the only one I've become semi-fluent in is Arabic and that's because I went to Egypt for a year and studied it there (and later went back for another year).

I also made friends with an Egyptian who did not speak any English which forced me to speak to him however imperfectly at first in his own language instead of falling back and speaking in English when I wasn't quite sure how to say something in Arabic. When I didn't know a word, I had to find some roundabout way to communicate what I wanted to say by using the vocabulary I already had or even using my hands or pointing to something I didn't know the word for. He would often supply the word I didn't know and he taught me a lot of other new words and expressions as well.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-07-17), userguide (09-07-17)
Old 09-09-17, 04:25 PM
Jr Member

unwitting is on a distinguished road

I agree heartily with the exposure suggestion. Immerse yourself in your second language and you will pick up a great deal. If you are serious, and if possible, try to move to somewhere where they speak the language. At first it will seem daunting and you might feel like you'll never pick it up, but start slowly. If you know the very basic, you might be able to find a job there.

I guess it depends on your job, and what friends you make, but generally people don't use too many different words from day to day. Once you learn those, the rest is just improving vocabulary. Try and keep a log of what words you hear that you don't know of, and find the definition. Or ask somebody (in their language of course) what a specific word means. Asking for clarification is helpful. Sometimes hearing the same phrase in a different way, with different words is all that's needed to understand what's being said.

Once you have the base, and are able to determine the general gist of how the language is used in daily life by native speakers, you can build upon it by practicing online for free on something like duolingo.

I am in this situation myself, where I am immersed in my second language and am trying to learn more of it. I find that I can get by quite well by sort of "fudging" what someone says. Meaning that if you don't understand 100% of the words being said, think about the context you're in, what words you do understand, and see if you can't figure out what the sentence means on your own. It's not foolproof though, as sometimes a single word can completely change the meaning of the phrase, but it's good enough until you learn more.
The Following User Says Thank You to unwitting For This Useful Post:
userguide (09-09-17)
Old 09-23-17, 07:22 PM

MickeMouseFan will become famous soon enough

User guide, why do you hate talking with people?

I suggest joining a language club and talking to people in the second language.

Edit: Also, I suggest tuning into an online radio station in the 2nd language and listening to it in the background as often as you can. Watching a movie consumes all of your attention but listening in the background does not.

Last edited by MickeMouseFan; 09-23-17 at 07:40 PM..
Old 11-16-17, 07:46 PM

kiradonovan is on a distinguished road

I know that this is really hard. You need to overcome yourself