ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 10-11-17, 04:57 AM
ADDvanced Member

Jeweller is a jewel in the roughJeweller is a jewel in the roughJeweller is a jewel in the rough
Failed Architecture registration exam

I guess I knew I would, I have been putting it off for 4 years.

I am so embarrassed, nobody fails it, and I am now the girl who failed it.

I asked the institute for some help but they didnt offer me anything, they said I could get extra time if I had a letter from a doctor. But I could not afford to go to a psychologist and pay all this money. I guess I also thought I would be okay.

I feel quite crushed, I worked so hard, but I didn't work smart. Put too much time into certain things more than others.

And I was sick at the time of my interview which made me even worse.

This exam has been the cause of stress and anxiety for 4 years. I don't even want to try it again, but I know I should.

Is there anyone I can turn to for help, an organisation or such that will help me get the exam more manageable for me? I don't see myself ever passing this..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeweller For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (10-11-17), namazu (10-11-17)
Old 10-11-17, 05:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

Jeweller is a jewel in the roughJeweller is a jewel in the roughJeweller is a jewel in the rough
Re: Failed Architecture registration exam

Ps. I have a diagnosis and I showed this to them, but it didn't seem to mean much.
Old 10-11-17, 06:09 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,314 Times in 13,288 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Who gave you your diagnosis and how long have you had it? Did you get support services in high school or younger? Did you have an IEP?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-17, 11:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,985 Times in 2,477 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like the issue isn't around your ability to do the job but your ability to organise yourself and prioritise appropriately. I also sense there could be some self-esteem/self-worth issues in there.

I find exams & assessments tough...there's a thing about being judged for me which shuts my brain down and kicks the processing into my back brain resulting in brain-fog.

I would advise some form of therapy for this, there are therapists who can help with this. It's not a quick fix.... however you have a definite goal.... and probably a timescale.

Dpn't expect to get what you need from the NHS.... but if it's what you really want to do it's worth spending the cash.

best wishes

kilted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (10-11-17), namazu (10-11-17)
Old 10-12-17, 10:46 PM

MickeMouseFan will become famous soon enough

Now that you have sat the exam, you have a much better idea of what to expect.

I suggest that you study the contents of the exam, so you will be better prepared for next time.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to MickeMouseFan For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-12-17)