ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 10-18-17, 11:09 PM
Contributor

WhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to behold
Memorizing things

I chose the degree plan I'm in now because it is one that doesn't require having to memorize a lot of things. I'm so bad at memorization, my brain just doesn't hold in a ton of information, especially if it's information I don't use a lot. When I read the job description for being a medical coder and it said they discourage memorizing codes because there are so many and you have to look them up in a book, I thought "YES! They actually don't want me to memorize things! I'm in!" But one of the classes I'm taking in this degree plan, does require a lot of memorizing crap that is just over my head and I'm sitting here going, WTH?! Can I really do this? Should I even do this? It's just so daunting.

I'm hopefully starting ADHD meds soon. Does it help with memorization?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (10-19-17), namazu (10-18-17)
Old 10-19-17, 06:05 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,284 Times in 13,270 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Memorizing things

It can help with executive function which is part of memorizing. I know when I was in my minor program for theater I used to write and re-write over the scripts to help me memorize my lines.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (10-19-17), WhiteOwl (10-19-17)
Old 10-19-17, 07:44 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,554 Times in 2,707 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

I find that it's not so much an issue or memory, but rather trying to absorb the information in the first place. If you can get yourself to a point where you're more focused in the moment, then you should find yourself "retaining" more information, because you actually took it in when it mattered.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
WhiteOwl (10-19-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-17, 06:53 PM
Contributor

WhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to behold

I do have much more trouble tuning out distractions and focusing, than I used to. I guess because there are more distractions now. I find myself having to re-read things multiple times, which I've always had to do, but not as much as I do now. My mind just wanders so easily. Plus, I try to do my studying at the end of the day, after the kids are in bed, and my brain just wants to veg out.

I have always had trouble with memorizing basic things, though. Like in school, I did ok with the higher math concepts, but sucked at memorizing math facts, so I had to work harder and longer than everyone else.

I've found that flashcards help me, though, so I should utilize that more, I guess.