ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 04-16-10, 02:03 AM

annamarie has a spectacular aura aboutannamarie has a spectacular aura about
Re: What's the best "fidget toy"?

Cranes are really fun! I always try to see how small I can make them. I've heard stress balls really help too. I'm trying not to chew my nails ... they're getting really short!
They sell little fidget toys for kids with adhd. They look like little rulers with different shaped bumps on them.. I'm tempted to get one for myself actually

http://www.therapyshoppe.com/therapy...ort=20a&page=1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annamarie For This Useful Post:
APSJ (05-01-10), Fishstix (04-16-10)
Old 04-16-10, 11:27 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Sit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura aboutSit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura about

I can't tell what the ruler is like from the photo. What do you do with it?
Old 04-16-10, 01:20 PM

annamarie has a spectacular aura aboutannamarie has a spectacular aura about

Ya that's a bad picture... but basically it has little bumps and ridges and patterns that you feel when you're working. You can set it on your desk and use it.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-10, 01:44 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Sit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura aboutSit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura about

So, just to run their fingers across, I guess? My son has been in OT (and other therapies) since four months old. He is a sensory avoider, though. That's why I'm familiar with this type of thing, but he does the opposite of someone who would want to keep running their fingers across something. We want to get him to do those kinds of things!
Old 04-30-10, 02:04 PM

greenlaura8 is on a distinguished road

I find that I am the best fidget toy. I pierced my tongue, years of fidgety enjoyment. I had my lip pierced once, but that took it a little too far. I also play with my earlobes, twirl my hair, practice some seated yoga and isotonic exercises. I also find all the little peach fuzz on me, like my knuckles, thing like that. I play with my flip flops too which alows me to do some fidgeting with my feet and keep my hands from being distracting.
Old 04-30-10, 08:30 PM

Fishstix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlaura8 View Post
I find that I am the best fidget toy. I pierced my tongue, years of fidgety enjoyment. I had my lip pierced once, but that took it a little too far. I also play with my earlobes, twirl my hair, practice some seated yoga and isotonic exercises. I also find all the little peach fuzz on me, like my knuckles, thing like that. I play with my flip flops too which alows me to do some fidgeting with my feet and keep my hands from being distracting.
Hahaha yes! I have a stud in my lip and I like to use my tongue to twirl it around in circles from the inside of my lip. But I look very silly when I do it. Not to mention it makes my lip awfully sore if I do it for hours upon hours when Im trying to concentrate on something. I keep trying to break myself of the habit but its proving hard!

I usually chew gum as an outlet. Now that Im diagnosed I now know why I ALWAYS had to have gum with me and chew it at school. I never suspected ADD until I got to college but its funny how that 'need' to chew gum was me unconsciously looking for an outlet. I didnt know why I always wanted to chew gum during class but I did. I was known as the gum girl
Old 04-30-10, 11:31 PM

greenmoment will become famous soon enough

I don't know why but I started twirling my hair at home.. it's the strangest thing! I think its time for a hair cut. I never really noticed it before but now that I think about it I'm always moving my hands.

Sigh.. when I had my lip ring I used to do that too.. I loved it! haha. I need to get a new ring because I lost mine lol go figure!!
Old 05-01-10, 05:35 PM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,694 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute

I used to make origami cranes from candy wrappers constantly in boring lectures. I learned in fourth grade, along with a bunch of other things, but it's the only one I remember.

I now really like those Chinese medicine balls (there's probably another name for them, but I don't know it) which you roll around in your hands and try to keep from touching. Most of them have chimes in them, so they weren't practical for classes, but you can order one's without the chimes online.

Edit:
I knew there was another name: Baoding balls

Last edited by APSJ; 05-01-10 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: Found them!
Old 05-01-10, 05:42 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,468 Times in 641 Posts
FinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I used to make origami cranes from candy wrappers constantly in boring lectures. I learned in fourth grade, along with a bunch of other things, but it's the only one I remember.
Which reminds me.....I used to make Origami rings out of dollar bills and they were perfect. You could wear them like any other ring and the denomination would be on the top of the ring.

So.....my cousin was getting married a number of years back, so I figured it would be "special" to make a ring out of a $100 bill and put it in a jewelry box. Unfold it and you have $100!

I never got a thank you card from her, so I asked her if she got the ring. She gasped and told me she thought it was a gag gift and she threw it away.....Jeeeeeeeeez.
APSJ (05-01-10)
Old 05-01-10, 08:50 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Pamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud ofPamplemousse has much to be proud of

Well it depends on what I have with me that day. A lot of times I doodle so I won't die of boredom. But I also love playing with the sticky hands or whacky whippers as someone once called it. The only problem with the sticky hand I had was that it constantly gets taken away from me by teachers, friends etc. because it is considered a distraction.

But if I don't have something like that to play with I play around with my pen or pencil and use my imagination. Sometimes I pretend it's a rocket ship or a race car and I move it around the outside of my desk as if the desk was a racetrack.

Although these things do seem to help me out, I sometimes just can't overcome that dreaded feeling of being super bored!

Who has two thumbs, speaks limited French and has ADHD? This moi.
Old 05-04-10, 03:27 PM

Fishstix is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: What's the best "fidget toy"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyAnswered View Post
Which reminds me.....I used to make Origami rings out of dollar bills and they were perfect. You could wear them like any other ring and the denomination would be on the top of the ring.

So.....my cousin was getting married a number of years back, so I figured it would be "special" to make a ring out of a $100 bill and put it in a jewelry box. Unfold it and you have $100!

I never got a thank you card from her, so I asked her if she got the ring. She gasped and told me she thought it was a gag gift and she threw it away.....Jeeeeeeeeez.
I had to say that, that ring idea is absolutely brilliant. Gosh what a shame it got thrown away! $100.. ouch! I applaud your creativity, though!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishstix For This Useful Post:
FinallyAnswered (05-04-10)
Old 05-04-10, 04:24 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,266 Times in 1,840 Posts
doiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond repute

My work tools are....
Old 05-04-10, 04:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,776 Posts
EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future

my HTC hero was great when i first got it. It rumbles when you type text. I'm pathetic at texting. I had no clue how to operate the thing when I first bought it and so i was using it like a blind person - the little rumbles i would receive were telling me things that don't matter. What mattered was that i was relating 2 my new friend. Ahhh what a buzzz!!!

peripatetic is nuts and I'm the squirrel.
Old 05-24-10, 06:00 PM

Kel87 will become famous soon enough

I play with paperclips, paper, candy wrappers, hell anything I can find, but I draw mostly. Making sillypuddy sounds fun. Im going to do that. I actually took my hair brush apart once because the handle was squishy and I wanted to know what was inside, it was this puddy stuff that I played with for 3 days, until mom threw it away. Im kind of distructive when im in this state. I tore a mechanical pencil into about 25 little pieces a few months back in my first class of the day.

Once in sight singing class I hid under the table because I didnt want to sing. It worked, the teacher didnt notice me.

On my last day at school this past couple weeks, I took one of my neighbors tissues and tore it into a million pieces and spelled my name with it. The class made me sit next to it and took pictures to remember me by.
Old 05-25-10, 03:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

Arwen is on a distinguished road

2 types of fidget toys

- Fill an unblown balloon with flour, let all the air out, tie it off and you have a nice little soft toy to squish!
- Do the same with rice, only layer the balloon with many layers of cut balloon to protech the latex from being broken by the rice

They're both great cuz you can squish them under the table or in your pocket at meetings when you're bored! Different textures so you can't get bored from the grainy rice to the soft flour.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Jenn1202 (01-27-17)