ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 05-19-16, 03:47 AM

jakenbake619 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Strattera messed me up really bad, now I haven't slept for days, I need some advice?

I recently was prescribed Strattera for adhd symptoms. I took it for a whole week before stopping. The first day I had a lot of aggresion, and then felt tired the days after. About 4 days in, I had painful urination and burning while urinating. I had a urine test done to rule anything out, but it was most likely the medicine so I stopped. The next few days after stopping I had increased anxiety, panic attacks, inability to sleep, and constant crying spells. I had to go to the ER to give me something to calm down, I had so much adrenaline pumping. I also started getting violent shakes and tremors along with diarhea and flu like symptoms. I have been unable to get any sleep the past 4 days and I'm getting scared. My doctor gave me Buspar 15mg to help with anxiety but I haven't taken it yet because I was taking 100mg 5-htp (only for a few days) and didn't want an interaction. I was also afraid the Buspar would give me more anxiety. How long can I expect these withdrawl symptoms to last? Especially since I only took the med for a week, and it has now been 1 week since stopping. I think my issue may be more serotonin related.
Old 05-19-16, 05:00 AM
Minecraft Mod-rater

Thanked 1,106 Times in 587 Posts
TurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to all
Re: Strattera messed me up really bad, now I haven't slept for days, I need some advi

Strattera might not be for you, ask if you can get on a different med.
5-htp is just an amino acid, I doubt there would be negative interactions.

I'm no doctor, so I don't know how serotonin works. I do know that strattera raises norepinephrine. If you were to get too much serotonin, i think you would get serotonin syndrome. I don't know if the symptoms you described match for that syndrome though (i'd have to google about it).

Last edited by TurtleBrain; 05-19-16 at 05:21 AM..
Old 05-19-16, 10:54 AM

Re: Strattera messed me up really bad, now I haven't slept for days, I need some advi

It seems like if there is serotonin syndrome, then there could be a norepinephrine syndrome. Because that is what I feel I have. Increased anxiety, paranoia, feeling I'm going to die, can't sleep, as soon as I start to fall asleep I get a quick vivid dream of something random talking to me, then I wake up. It's hell. I only have got 3 hours of sleep past for days. What amazes me is that I only took the medicine for a week, and it has screwed me up more than any medicine I have ever been on.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-16, 04:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,305 Times in 8,758 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure it will eventually go away. Call your doctor.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 05-27-16, 03:34 PM

It's two weeks today since I took my last dose, I still have crying spells, anxiety , and just feel like I"m in a dream state, and not here during the. But I haven't used ativan since Sunday. Last Thursday I was in the Hospital all. So I guess I just have to be patient. I'm taking gaba(500-1500mg), 5htp(100-300mg), then valarian root, and melatonin(5mg-7mg). I'm able to sleep now with this.
Old 05-31-16, 12:43 AM

Teemu is on a distinguished road

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomoxetine#Pharmacology

Quote:
A PET imaging study of rhesus monkeys found that atomoxetine inhibited the NET and SERT with IC50 values of 31 ng/mL and 99 ng/mL plasma, respectively, and that at clinically relevant doses, atomoxetine would occupy >90% of NET and >85% of SERT.[20] Assuming that these findings translate to humans, atomoxetine would in fact be a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) rather than a selective NRI as has conventionally been assumed
Having higher norepinephrine transporter occupancy than serotonin transporter occupancy wont protect from serotonin syndrome, plenty of people have gotten serotonin syndrome on substances that are mainly NRI, but have some SRI activity. Especially combining different mechanism is risky. So 5HTP or Buspar could be somewhat risky when taken with Strattera.
Old 06-10-16, 01:16 AM

gilroy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenbake619 View Post
I recently was prescribed Strattera for adhd symptoms. I took it for a whole week before stopping. The first day I had a lot of aggresion, and then felt tired the days after. About 4 days in, I had painful urination and burning while urinating. I had a urine test done to rule anything out, but it was most likely the medicine so I stopped. The next few days after stopping I had increased anxiety, panic attacks, inability to sleep, and constant crying spells. I had to go to the ER to give me something to calm down, I had so much adrenaline pumping. I also started getting violent shakes and tremors along with diarhea and flu like symptoms. I have been unable to get any sleep the past 4 days and I'm getting scared. My doctor gave me Buspar 15mg to help with anxiety but I haven't taken it yet because I was taking 100mg 5-htp (only for a few days) and didn't want an interaction. I was also afraid the Buspar would give me more anxiety. How long can I expect these withdrawl symptoms to last? Especially since I only took the med for a week, and it has now been 1 week since stopping. I think my issue may be more serotonin related.
Been there. When i started Strattera I could barely pee, couldn't sleep had anxiety and rage, couldn't sleep and got what i called head zaps that sometimes also hit me all over my body . I also had a lot of energy and excercised like crazy. I stopped the medicine and continued having symptoms months after the time i used it. Eventually it turned out i'm schizophrenic with bipolar tendencies and i went full manic on strattera. It just took one dose of Abilify and all the weird symptoms started disappearing. Google strattera induced mania, it happens even if you're not bipolar.

I know this might not be your case but the symptoms you described including the vivid dreams, everything happened to me and wouldn't go away. So if after various months the symptoms don't go away consider Abilify. It took the symptoms off right away and you don't have to use it forever if you don't want. The first time i took abilify it was only for two weeks and i stopped it. I had to go back though because other different symptoms arised(not related to strattera but delusions and hallucinations). So while this may not be your case, Abilify took all the nasty strattera symptoms off.
Old 06-10-16, 10:49 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Little Nut is a splendid one to beholdLittle Nut is a splendid one to beholdLittle Nut is a splendid one to beholdLittle Nut is a splendid one to beholdLittle Nut is a splendid one to beholdLittle Nut is a splendid one to beholdLittle Nut is a splendid one to behold

Jake, glad to hear you are on the mend. Personally I would doubt that 7 days Strattera within prescribed dosing, no other meds, and 5 days of the 5-htp would it be normal to have the side effects you experienced. What was your Prescribing doc's opinion on the cause and what was the doc's opinion of adding in the 5-htp and passing on the Buspar? -LN
Old 08-21-16, 11:18 PM

I apologize for not getting back to this post sooner, my email account was messed with.

So to update this. I end up getting really bad panic attacks, so bad I was dry heaving on the floor multiple times a day, I would fall to the ground and start crying hysterically, as if someone just told me a family member died. This happened a lot for 2 months. I had bad panic attacks at my brothers grad party, which I had to leave. My family saw me have a really bad attack, I was violently shaking and puking. This was 6 weeks after being off med.

I went to the mental hospital for a week. The doctor was a real jerk, so I didn't even bother to tell him my whole story. They gave me zoloft and attivan which eventually helped me sleep. I came home a week later. I end up stopping the zoloft. My sleep is a bit easier. I still need melatonin and valarien root. But it's still not the same as before where I was calm and relaxed throughout the day.

I find myself getting angry and very irritable. I recently started 5htp again. and pushing the dose to 300mg a day, which helps mood a bit. But I feel like I"m not out of the woods from this experience of the meds. I found out I'm also suffering from lyme disease, and have food allergies, and possible toxic mold sickness. So I'm a mess, not sure what is causing what. I occasionally hear voices now, slight whispers when I run water, or it's very quiet. This scares me. When I was on zoloft it went away, the 5htp is helping to take it away now to.

I still worry about this intense anger I feel sometimes, and derealization, which I never had in my life, until this damn medicine. It's not as bad as it was, but still very irritating and scary. Thanks for your help guys.

Last edited by peripatetic; 08-21-16 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: added paragraph breaks to ease reading and adjusted d**k to jerk; no other edits
Old 08-21-16, 11:57 PM

Thanked 29,258 Times in 13,075 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

wow! you've had quite an ordeal. i'm so sorry you've endured this.

i mostly skimmed through your post update, but i do want to address one thing you wrote on, in hopes it eases your mind:

hearing voices/whispers in running water, fans, and other places is very common. and it's common for people who do NOT have any sort of psychotic disorder to hear them. my partner hears music in the water in the shower on occasion and he's my most non diagnose-able person in my life. i, on the other hand, am much more diagnose-able and so assure you from both sides...what you're fearing from the water sounds are almost certainly NOT auditory hallucinations. that would be happening outside of those special circumstances and you'd be saying a lot more about it. i truly think that's just a common experience that's seldom discussed and so when it happens, people fear it's something it's not.

i'm sorry your inpatient experience didn't yield something more helpful. are you still seeing a therapist? have you thought about doing a partial hospitalization program if you're still struggling so much? they're less invasive and can be a good middle ground.

anyway, best wishes to you xx
Old 08-26-16, 09:30 PM

O ok. Well that scared me. I did have a few episodes of hearing whispers around me before the whole strattera experience too. But it could be the lyme screwing with my head, that is know to cause a whole bunch of neurologically things.

I'm in counseling now. I don't want to start an ssri though, they never have helped and usually make things worse. The only thing that helped me somewhat was the snris but they cause so many side effects which is why I went off. Then I found out I have chronic lyme. So I'm seeing a naturopathic doctor now. She doesn't want me to take any ssris. So I'm going to continue healing with her. Although it is costly.
Old 03-20-17, 10:14 PM

george73 is on a distinguished road

I was diagnosed with lyme a few months ago and was recently prescribed Strattera.

I have many of the symptoms you described and assumed it was the Strattera but after reading your post I wonder if it could be some interaction with lyme disease? I am wondering if maybe lyme enhances the absorption of the medication?

Did you try a lower dose of Strattera, or just stop it completely?