ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-17, 07:00 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,927 Times in 9,005 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Productivity and Emotional State

If you're noticing it, then it doesn't matter if that comes from being oversensitive or whatever. If you notice, then it's there.

I believe that good therapists don't bring up moral disagreements with their clients, in ANY way. No matter what kind of therapist they are. People without morals need to be referred to a psychiatrist, or to the police - not judged by a therapist. People with differing morals, the therapist shuts up about it and carries on.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
fisherfisher (03-20-17)
Old 03-20-17, 09:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherfisher View Post
Yes you're right. I meant neutral as in calm, content, happy but not over excited or highly playful. Have you ever seen the feeling wheel by Dr Gloria Wilcox? You might be interested in if if you haven't seen it before. It really helped me expand my emotional vocab when before all I had was happy, angry, and sad.
Neat.

[Source: aca-arizona.org]

The core terminology on this feelings wheel matches closely with the affective neurobiological terminology used to physically describe 6 of the 7 preverbal mammalian primary emotional states.

SEEKING System feels Powerful
RAGE System feels Mad
FEAR System feels Scared
LUST System feels
CARE System feels Peaceful
GRIEF System feels Sad
PLAY System feels Joyful

...when stimulated.

Very helpful.

I will need to learn more about how Dr. Gloria Wilcox created the feelings wheel and how she came to her conclusions?

It is amazing in general how close some psychological terminology comes to describing the actual biology involved, without studying the actual biology involved.

(Not sure if Dr. Gloria Wilcox studied the biological systems of the emotional states, or not?)

Thanks
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I

Last edited by namazu; 03-20-17 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: Replaced link to another community (prohibited) with image from website.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
fisherfisher (03-21-17), OhLookABunny (03-22-17)
Old 03-20-17, 10:20 PM
Contributor

WheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherfisher View Post
What are some of your strategies for managing distraction and productivity when you're also upset about something?

If my mood and emotional state is neutral most of my usual strategies work but if I'm upset, mad, sad, excited, or anything else I'm almost incapable of being productive. Example, last night my therapist ticked me off and I'm still mad about it today. Its now almost 10am and all I accomplished today was eating, getting dressed, and walking down to the shop. Normally if I have a billable job I've got a solid 2-3 hours of billable labor by this time of day. If it wasn't a work day I'd be missing out on projects I need to finish around the house.

I get up and start to work, get frustrated because the job I'm working on requires concentration, then mess around on the internet for a hour before trying again. I can't stop dwelling on how mad I am and I do this all the time.

What strategies do you have for getting past emotions so you can be productive?
Mindfulness meditation. It doesn't stop my emotions - but it allows me to back away from them mentally, merely observing that they exist, and not needing any more to react to them.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-17, 07:07 PM
Contributor

OhLookABunny has a spectacular aura aboutOhLookABunny has a spectacular aura about

Back in the day, I had my share of therapy and then some. For reasons I prefer to keep private, I feel a lot of it was counterproductive, but I just didn't know what else to do at the time so I kept going. After my parents had both died and after my hysterectomy, I let go of traditional therapy as such (getting rid of those ol' PMS hormones was actually one of the best things for my mental state! ). I did go to an ADD clinic guy for a short while, which was okay. He had some relaxation techniques that were more practical, less of the gut wrenching emotional stuff of my previous therapy "career."

When I was new to therapy I got way too dependent on my therapists and way too sensitive to things they'd say or a cancelled appointment. I guess to some extent a lot of people go through that; you finally get the courage to spill your guts and it's scary, so you don't want to feel like that person's not going to be there to help you pick up the pieces. Or something.

It gets better with time, I think. You do begin to find your inner strengths again. Hang in there.
fisherfisher (04-03-17)