ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-17, 11:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: How can we best promote general ADHD awareness, while acknowledging our differenc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...KpbT940tESkewg

Slightly off topic but I think you might find it interesting. It's on the role of environmental influences on the pre frontal cortex and specific executive functions.
Thanks

Considering general development (genes x environments) helps promote general developmental strategies.

Especially for children born with more sensitive temperaments to environmental conditions.

Thanks for the article. There is lots more specific individually complex topics from the article to discuss more in depth, in a thread from the future called:

"How can we best promote individually complex ADHD awareness, while acknowledging our general similarities"

m

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-18-17 at 11:49 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-19-17), Fuzzy12 (03-18-17)
Old 03-19-17, 08:21 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,946 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How can we best promote general ADHD awareness, while acknowledging our differenc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Thanks - I get it now.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-19-17)
Old 03-19-17, 08:42 PM
Mr. BllVt

dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I think one of the important ways we can promote awareness is on the every-day personal level. Not remaining silent when there's a situation in which ADHD is a topic of conversation. Letting people know that many of their friends have ADHD regardless of their age, that it is under-diagnosed, and not allowing misrepresentations of ADHD to go unchallenged in ordinary conversation.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-20-17), mildadhd (03-19-17), ToneTone (03-23-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-17, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
I think one of the important ways we can promote awareness is on the every-day personal level. Not remaining silent when there's a situation in which ADHD is a topic of conversation. Letting people know that many of their friends have ADHD regardless of their age, that it is under-diagnosed, and not allowing misrepresentations of ADHD to go unchallenged in ordinary conversation.
Thanks

It makes sense that you can identify with, and want to help lessen the pain that people who have ADHD feel.

I am also interested in the topics mentioned above.

Everyone has been doing very good at keeping discussion focusing on general parts that are least controversial, in this thread discussion.

I don't always express myself well, but I sure feel understood so far in this thread.

Thanks

m

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-20-17 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: I don't always express myself well, but I sure feel understood so far in this thread. Thanks
Old 03-20-17, 02:21 AM
Mr. BllVt

Another thing I hope many of us will do is sort of cultural, showing by our lives and our actions that people with ADHD are part of making the world better than it has been.

That only happens when we're sure that people know we do have ADHD.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-20-17), ToneTone (03-23-17)
Old 03-20-17, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Another thing I hope many of us will do is sort of cultural, showing by our lives and our actions that people with ADHD are part of making the world better than it has been.

That only happens when we're sure that people know we do have ADHD.
ADHD was the topic today on the Nature of Things (science documentary), and if I understood correctly, all Canadian correction facilities are testing all inmates for ADHD? (I have not verified the information yet, but if it is so, that will be good.)

The documentary on the Nature of Things was really good, but what the documentary did not discuss was essential information about how normal human self-regulation develops in interaction with the environment (genes x environment) in general.

m
Old 03-20-17, 03:55 AM
Mr. BllVt

Quote:
ADHD was the topic today on the Nature of Things (science documentary), and if I understood correctly, all Canadian correction facilities are testing all inmates for ADHD? (I have not verified the information yet, but if it is so, that will be good.)

The documentary on the Nature of Things was really good, but what the documentary did not discuss was essential information about how normal human self-regulation develops in interaction with the environment (genes x environment) in general.
Yes, that's background information that people don't need to know and aren't interested in hearing, in terms of ADHD awareness and acceptance. Or perhaps it's not so much them not needing to know it - maybe more like the show's writers knowing that people aren't going to listen if that part is emphasized. Even a show like The Nature of Things must remain conscious of entertainment and viewer ratings - otherwise people simply change the channel and hear nothing at all about ADHD.
Old 03-20-17, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's background information that people don't need to know and aren't interested in hearing, in terms of ADHD awareness and acceptance. Or perhaps it's not so much them not needing to know it - maybe more like the show's writers knowing that people aren't going to listen if that part is emphasized. Even a show like The Nature of Things must remain conscious of entertainment and viewer ratings - otherwise people simply change the channel and hear nothing at all about ADHD.
Thanks for your perspective.

m
Old 03-20-17, 10:16 PM
Contributor

WheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to all

Quote:
There is no doubt that AD(H)D (aka deficits of self-regulation) exists.

There is no doubt that we have deficits of self-regulation (aka AD(H)D).

There is also no doubt that we have differences in individual inherited temperaments and individual experiences, resulting in deficits of self-regulation.

How can we best promote general ADHD awareness, while still acknowledging our individual causation differences?

m
To be honest, I don't want to.

I can't think of a single instance in which people who belonged in a minority (whether ethnic, ability, disorder) "increased awareness", and did not simultaneously increase acrimony against their cause.

Speaking as one who not only has ADHD, but somewhat impaired vision, is a religious minority, and whose color engenders "interesting" racism", I am convinced that it's futile to expect the rest of the world to change their views.

Rather, it is MY JOB to figure out, with my ADHD, and all that other stuff, what is the best path for me to pursue, in the hopes of achieving a life in which I find bliss.

And you know what? That job is true for 100% of all humans on the planet.

Which is kind of cool, because it means, in the most important aspect possible - I really am one with the fabric of human existence. I belong!

As an example of what I mean, I have found it about 25 times as useful to not tell the boss I have ADHD but rather tell her where I have weaknesses - messy desk, slipped deadlines - and tell her, therefore "it's OK if you pester me about deadlines more often than you might pester others." In other words I told the boss how she could help me...not my ADHD.

And, if you really want to raise awareness, then tell me this - can you find a single-paragraph explanation about ADHD that informs people what they can expect out of someone who has it, and what kind of "accommodations" you're asking them to make? Having worked the other side of the HR desk, I have never once seen any such explanation that in any way, informs a business how they can accommodate one with ADHD. I know, business isn't everything.

WMM
The Following User Says Thank You to WheresMyMind For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-20-17)
Old 03-20-17, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresMyMind View Post
To be honest, I don't want to.

I can't think of a single instance in which people who belonged in a minority (whether ethnic, ability, disorder) "increased awareness", and did not simultaneously increase acrimony against their cause.

Speaking as one who not only has ADHD, but somewhat impaired vision, is a religious minority, and whose color engenders "interesting" racism", I am convinced that it's futile to expect the rest of the world to change their views.

Rather, it is MY JOB to figure out, with my ADHD, and all that other stuff, what is the best path for me to pursue, in the hopes of achieving a life in which I find bliss.

And you know what? That job is true for 100% of all humans on the planet.

Which is kind of cool, because it means, in the most important aspect possible - I really am one with the fabric of human existence. I belong!

As an example of what I mean, I have found it about 25 times as useful to not tell the boss I have ADHD but rather tell her where I have weaknesses - messy desk, slipped deadlines - and tell her, therefore "it's OK if you pester me about deadlines more often than you might pester others." In other words I told the boss how she could help me...not my ADHD.

And, if you really want to raise awareness, then tell me this - can you find a single-paragraph explanation about ADHD that informs people what they can expect out of someone who has it, and what kind of "accommodations" you're asking them to make? Having worked the other side of the HR desk, I have never once seen any such explanation that in any way, informs a business how they can accommodate one with ADHD. I know, business isn't everything.

WMM
Thanks, for your perspective.

I did not specify clearly enough, but I was also thinking about how can we promote general awareness among ourselves with ADHD.

For example.

If both parents have ADHD and they are expecting a baby.

It would be good to be aware of how self-regulation normally develops.

It would be good to know how to accommodate, if their infant is born with a more hypersensitive temperament, etc.

m