ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 03-20-17, 07:40 PM

NorthTeacher is on a distinguished road
Too many side effects?

I am very happy that I have found this forum as this has been a very difficult couple of weeks for my family. My son, 9 years old, was recently diagnosed with ADHD. This was not a shock to me, Although I do think we have been in denial. I was terrified to give him his Meds (18mg of the generic Concerta). He only took them three days. By the third day he was experiencing excessive talking, dizziness, light headed, tremors in his hands, and some general anxiety. I can't believe that his is normal with this medication? I really hope that it is not...how can I give this to my child when it makes him feel this way.
I have called his doctor who will see him next week. What should I expect from this visit?
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthTeacher For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-21-17)
Old 03-20-17, 09:31 PM
Suspended Account

Postulate is infamous around these partsPostulate is infamous around these parts
Re: Too many side effects?

Excessive talking is not a side effect, it's your son expressing himself adequately, possibly for the first time. Anxiety is normal especially at his age. It's due to him noticing other aspects of his reality he wasn't noticing before...and this also means these items of reality are new or foreign, thus, the anxiety of getting to know them.

Dizziness, light headed, tremors in his hands are worrisome but I'm not sure how you came up with the first two. Is it by observation or did he complain, or did he fall down, or not keeping balance?
Old 03-20-17, 10:10 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 16,626 Times in 7,942 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Excessive talking and hyperactivity, as well as anxiety and jitteriness, can indeed be side effects of stimulants, especially if they come on suddenly after starting the medication or increasing the dose.

Since 18mg is the lowest dose of Concerta, it seems possible that your son is very sensitive to methylphenidate, or to stimulants in general.

A lower dose of methylphenidate (not Concerta, but another formulation that allows for smaller doses), or another medication altogether, might be better for him.

While it's possible that these side effects will dissipate, they are not something to ignore.

At the next visit, be sure to communicate what you've seen clearly, both in terms of any beneficial effects and in terms of side effects. Your son should also relay his experiences (positive and/or negative). Then you can discuss alternatives with the doctor.

I hope the appointment goes well, and that you're able to find something that benefits your son without the troublesome side effects.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-21-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-17, 06:42 AM

Postulate, I came up with those side effects simply buy observing my son. We just finished Mach Break here which allowed me to observe him closely as I spent the break with my kids. He told me everything he was feeling and I observed the excessive talking and the hand tremors.
Old 03-21-17, 06:45 AM

Namath, I am wondering if it makes a difference if the med is generic or brand? Maybe he is getting too much of the med and it is not bing released slowly enough? I am very new to all of this and the decision to put him on Meds did not come lightly. I guess this is why he concern it's the side effects.
namazu (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 01:08 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 16,626 Times in 7,942 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTeacher View Post
Namath, I am wondering if it makes a difference if the med is generic or brand? Maybe he is getting too much of the med and it is not bing released slowly enough? I am very new to all of this and the decision to put him on Meds did not come lightly. I guess this is why he concern it's the side effects.
In theory, generic vs. brand shouldn't make a difference. In practice, some people do report more side effects with certain generics than with others (and this often differs from person to person -- some people prefer a generic that other people can't tolerate, and vice-versa, and some people prefer to stick with the brand-name medication).

I'm also under the impression that the Concerta generics sold in Canada are different from the Concerta generics sold in the U.S., and that the Canadian versions may be less similar to the brand-name Concerta than the U.S. generics. This may be old information, but it's a relevant question to ask if side effects are a problem. Perhaps a change to brand-name Concerta would reduce side-effects, if it is some issue with the generic's rate of release.

When you talk to the doctor, it's worth asking about brand vs. generic and whether that might explain the side effects. (If the side effects haven't gone away yet.)

My inclination -- and again, I'm not a medical doctor -- would be to try something with the option of a lower starting dose, even if it's a shorter-acting medication. If he tolerated that OK, then I'd worry about duration. But I'd want to be sure that he wasn't experiencing markedly increased anxiety and jitteriness first.

It's possible that if he tried something with a lower starting dose for a while, it might allow him to adjust to the point that he could take something like 18mg Concerta without experiencing side effects. But maybe a lower dose or a different medication would serve him better.

Medication response is tricky, unfortunately, and depends on the individual as well as the medication and how it is introduced.

Anyway, I hope your doctor will have some good thoughts on this and help you figure out the next steps. Best wishes!
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 01:46 PM
Suspended Account

Postulate is infamous around these partsPostulate is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Postulate, I came up with those side effects simply buy observing my son. We just finished Mach Break here which allowed me to observe him closely as I spent the break with my kids. He told me everything he was feeling and I observed the excessive talking and the hand tremors.
Did he ever lose balance or fall down, or told you mom I feel weird the room is spinning?
Old 03-21-17, 03:01 PM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I would agree excessive talking can be a side effect. Perhaps it's easier explained as "He's talking a mile a minute like he's had 5 cups of coffee?"

My kid does VERY well on concerta but at the full 54mg dose....it did make him a bit dizzy for a couple of days but not too bad. He did NOT do well on Vyvanse so there really is process on these medicines..it can be a merry-go-round trying to find the right one. Keep trying and hang in there!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
maple17 (03-21-17), namazu (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 05:41 PM
Suspended Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
I would agree excessive talking can be a side effect. Perhaps it's easier explained as "He's talking a mile a minute like he's had 5 cups of coffee?"

My kid does VERY well on concerta but at the full 54mg dose....it did make him a bit dizzy for a couple of days but not too bad. He did NOT do well on Vyvanse so there really is process on these medicines..it can be a merry-go-round trying to find the right one. Keep trying and hang in there!
Keep in mind that people have different definitions for "excessive talking". I don't know how much talking we're talking about here, so let's not label the kid as being high on speed so fast.

Last edited by namazu; 03-21-17 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: etiquette
Old 03-21-17, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulate View Post
Did he ever lose balance or fall down, or told you mom I feel weird the room is spinning?
No, he didn't fall down due to losing balance or anything but he me that he felt dizzy and in his words he room was spinning. I also remember him saying hat his face, fingers and legs felt weird. When I asked him to explain he said it felt like the tngling you get in your limbs when they fall asleep.
Old 03-21-17, 05:44 PM

Yes! That is a much better way to describe it...the mile a minute talking!
Old 03-21-17, 05:49 PM

Well, it another poster said it the way we observed, like he was talking a mile a minute and barely took breaths in between. He is not a talker normally...he literally talks barely taking a breath for about 2 hours straight and then just stopped abruptly. Excessive is the best way I can describe it.
namazu (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 05:51 PM

Thank you for your response, I find it very helpful. I feel as though we are just keeping our head above water with this diagnosis so your thoughts are very helpful
Old 03-21-17, 05:55 PM
Suspended Account

Quote:
No, he didn't fall down due to losing balance or anything but he me that he felt dizzy and in his words he room was spinning. I also remember him saying hat his face, fingers and legs felt weird. When I asked him to explain he said it felt like the tngling you get in your limbs when they fall asleep.
Discontinue immediately, don't give him another pill. He was definitely high. Then tell your doctor about the things in bold.

Last edited by namazu; 03-21-17 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: etiquette
Old 03-21-17, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulate View Post
Discontinue immediately, don't give him another pill. He was definitely high. Then tell your doctor about the things in bold.
Your response makes me feel a little sick and gives me some mommy guilt I felt in my gut that he should not feel that way but I wasn't sure since this was his first time on this med. Thanks for your response...I will for sure mention those side effects to his doc.