ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 02-26-06, 12:36 AM
ADDvanced Member

USMC has disabled reputation
Hey. I just got a new tip that I've never heard before (and I've read like all the books and everything; this is a new one). Not sure if it was posted yet, but here's what you can do for reading. Take a piece of paper of a color that you like. It can be like orange, or purple or green, etc. whatever color just gets your attention. It should be like a regular sized piece like a piece of construction paper (8 1/2 by 11" or whatever is "standard"). Put it under the page that you're reading so you can see it on the sides, that's why it has to be bigger. Your book page is going to be lying on top of the piece of paper. If you need some pics, I'll take a picture of what I'm talking about and put it on here. Just let me know. It'll help you pay attention, well it helped me. Sounds crazy but you can just give it a shot. I also use a colored index card to help me go down the page.
Old 02-26-06, 11:56 AM

mike12 is on a distinguished road
yes, please, by all means, post the pics, thanks.
Old 03-01-06, 12:09 AM
ADDvanced Member

anamari is on a distinguished road
my method-
I took notes , and if I was not able to take notes i'd borow somebodyelses...
Write a summary of the text while reading-got to an idea I thought it was important wrote it down.... Reading the summary and write a summary of the summary.

What helped me a lot: a had a job as a news writer-i think this is how you call it - I had to break down "raw" material into the short, concise news story...

advantage:may major was philosophy. original interpretations were rewarded....
Old 12-31-07, 03:10 AM

Wexder5 is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: College and ADHD-How does everyone study?

Going through each topic over and over again.

I find useful using ubonics with remembering facts and figures, but I still have times where after reading a book, and setting it down, not remembering what I read.

Also find useful listening to techno music while studying, it expands my learning curve.

Does anyone find that if too much information if given to them, (less say in a college course) that they actually fall alseep.
Old 12-31-07, 03:17 AM

smoothoperator will become famous soon enough
Re: College and ADHD-How does everyone study?

Here's my formula: Read, explain, recall.

For example, I'll read a sentence, then I'll explain it in my own words, then after doing this for every sentence of the paragraph, I'll cover up the paragraph and try to recall it from memory.
Old 01-17-08, 02:33 PM

Wired is on a distinguished road

I'm a huge kinesthetic learner, am always on the go. So when I'm working on a paper or something, I will go for a run or work out before I sit down and start working, I'll take frequent 'brain breaks', throw a ball around or against a wall, walk around, do push ups - anything to move and expel the all the excess energy. I also like to colour code notes, so many of my notebooks are covered in a myriad of colours.
Old 01-17-08, 02:44 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice

I study immediately after a class while it is still in my range of focus and hyperfocus and if I don't do that, I will not study at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt S. For This Useful Post:
Science112 (07-18-16)
Old 02-01-08, 11:25 AM

ADHDbutTrying is on a distinguished road

What subject you guys in? Depending on what it is, there is nothing better than getting a pile of old materials - previous exams, assignments, practice problems, etc. - and just getting in the zone and doing them over and over and over and over again.
Old 02-04-08, 05:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

Brakna will become famous soon enough

I always studied with music on in the background. I also would study on a bed or on the floor. For some reason, desks or cubicles would never work for me. I always tend to fall asleep when reading (ADD trait?) and would then have to reread the pages or the same page several times. I'm surprised that I even made it through college and grad school like this.
Old 02-04-08, 06:44 PM

UnitCircle will become famous soon enough

There is a pretty good video on being a high-speed student. It's mainly geared towards those leaving high school and entering college. It aided me greatly and I'm in the 30's as a non-traditional making a career change. So it doesn't matter what level you're at with education, the principles are fundamentally true.

The title is (lame title but please bear with me). "How to Be A Superstar Student".

Google it if ya want to find it.

Some of the techniques from there I've adopted with some modification. Here's what I find works for me:

- After you finish reading a topic (not the whole chapter, just one topic or idea within a chapter) explain it to yourself by writing it out on paper. Have you ever been thinking about something and "Ah Ha! Why didn't I see that before?" that's the same effect. When you reason through the knowledge you have you produce ideas on your own and that's what learning is all about. When you write things on paper you have to think about what your writing. Don't worry about format/spelling/etc... save those worries for a graded assignment. Just start writing and don't stop. You'll be amazed at how much this helps. If you were to write a description to give to someone, what would you say? If you fly through it, your good. If you stumble, then you know you should review it. That's why teaching someone a subject helps you learn that subject better. You process the information and field questions from whomever your talking to and your mind engages the material. If you sit and read only, you don't engage the material and learn very little for the time that you put in.

- if you are having a hard time grasping a concept, go online and use google or another resources. There's many out there. A lot of prof's post their websites on the .edu domain (more trustworthy). For godsakes please don't use Wkikipedianybodycanpost.com as a primary reference/learning resource. I've found video's on youtube for almost any subject that I've searched for and those are usually good. As you search, you bookmark the good sites and your search time diminishes; eating less time the next time you go online to learn.

- DON'T MEMORIZE, EVER, THROW THE FLASHCARDS AWAY. Memorizing is what happens in the background when you learn; it's a biproduct. If you try memorize you waste time, don't learn anything, and within 1 semester will forget it. A great example is "FOIL". Yeah, because of foil I passed algebra in high school and didn't learn a damn thing. FOIL isn't needed, the only thing that's needed is a good teacher/website/other resource to explain the distributive property and a student willing to learn. The biggest problem is that memorized info, even if you are lucky enough to remember it, isn't knowledge. When you move on to a higher level class, you won't be able to form ideas off of things that you memorized; only what you learned and understood. Memorizing is painful, not fun, painful, annoying, a waste of time, and painful. It also makes people feel reallllly stupid when their not. Googling a subject and reading on it is a much better use of the time.

- Books that are written for the laymen are great. Text books are written to the prof's and have a lot of useless pictures in order to justify the cost of the book. Students HAVE to buy the textbooks and so that short circuits the "quality through REAL competition" situation. By buying the laymen's books, "... for Dummies" for instance, will get you further, faster, and students around you will think you're some type of genius. That's because the laymen's books' publishers know that textbooks suck and that this creates a market for them to write a good book which explains material. With the laymen's-type books, you spend less time learning while the students who use their flashcards are banging their head against a door and telling themselves that they just aren't smart enough.

- limit studying cycles to 15 min or so of intense focus at a time. Then back off and do something else. This could be surfing the net, emailing, jumping jacks (whatever you want to do for 15-20 minutes or so) and then go back for another 15 min focus of the subject. The breaks also give you time to think and reason in your head about the small chunk of knowledge that you learned. Plus, your books and everything else for studying are still left out so you don't have that lag time of getting going again. You can jump right into the material. You may favor 30 min chunks while some like 20min; it's up to you.

- Sit in the front and tape your lectures. Then make a cd and listen in the car, at work (if job allows), wherever.

- Minimum subscription to an online DVD movie service. The one I'm on costs me $10 / month and I get many DVD's on pretty much any subject I want. Math, History, etc...

- When you take notes you are a secretary, not a student. Tape the lectures and listen instead. You'll get a lot farther. For visual type material like Math, many prof's will let you video record and a cheap video recorder works just fine. When you write notes you don't think and you'll always feel behind. Take notes when you read, not during lecture. LISTEN during lecture.

- Don't program yourself with, "I'm not smart" "I won't do it later", etc... if you do then you're one of the people that make real students look smarter than they are.

Pretty much all of us with the good ol' ADD/ADHD are used to finding alternative ways to learning anyway. What I've outlined above doesn't just get you a passing grade, it gets you knowledge, which translates to A's and B's. You'll also find that you study less and that's when it hits you that this isn't work; it's preparing for a better life.

Knowledge steamrolls. So as time progresses, you study less because your foundation of knowledge expands. The more you carry in your noggin the more you can carry yourself in history, math, literature, business, etc...

You'll know what I mean when your able to tie your econ / algebra classes into a discussion in your history class and the prof looks at you with amazement. Many students are lazy, this makes it easy to excell simply by more effective study. You learn for yourself and at the same time stand out in the class. Mediocre people provide a great opportunity to shine without much effort. Go against the grain.

It's not a matter of difficulty, just a matter of finding what fits for you. We all have the internet today and that's a big plus. I remember struggling when I only had textbooks, lectures, and a library that required a trip out of the house.

-Albert Einstein
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UnitCircle For This Useful Post:
leeleenat (10-10-12), Squirrely Seth (06-28-11)
Old 02-27-08, 01:39 AM

Via Chicago is on a distinguished road

I try to study chunks of things thoroughly and in-depth frequently rather than simply reading material for long periods of time because i feel my mind turns off. What I mean is, I will pick a segment of a subject or a key idea to a topic on an exam and really push myself to understand all the aspects of it. I will do this for an appropriate amount of time and then come back to the subject later and do the same thing again. Eventually, by making sure I understand all the concepts, its easier to paint a larger understanding of the subject material.
Old 02-27-08, 03:41 AM

DavidGen will become famous soon enough

Here's what works for me:

Many of my classes are lecture, my meds effectively allow me concentrate and keep my attention span enough to take all the notes I need down. The problem with me though is I'm so busy copying, making sure I get all the key info, that I don't actually learn what is being lectured.

Soooo. When I get home that night, I actually type up all my notes from the day into my computer. This allows me to go through them at my own pace, and this where I my comprehension actually happens. It takes me awhile, but b/c of success with my treatment of my adhd its not as big of an issue...I tried this method before meds... was just a waste of time, didn't work one bit. But that's what works for me now. Try it, it works for some people! And plus, at the end of the year, I will have a complete typed packet of notes as a master study guide for the final. Good luck!
Old 02-28-08, 01:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ethereal will become famous soon enough

I can't concentrate for more than a very short period of time, so I study in 10 minute intervals.

Like others here, I also write notes/summarys. Research has shown that writing things down helps memory- even for "normal" people.
My friends have University diplomas- I have diagnoses. At the moment, the "experts" agree on me having ADD, severe insomnia and eating disorders- and I was recently diagnosed with Bordeline Personality Disorder.

I couldn't just settle for one disorder. Nahh, I had to overdo it, like I overdo everything.
Old 03-01-08, 08:38 PM

jacquline is on a distinguished road

I don't have any special way to study or at least one that I can pin point.
I pretty much sit down at the computer for 6 to 8 hrs barely getting off my chair because I end up doing other things when the studying gets boring. It is hard for me to get up from the computer. I am currently going to school on line.
Old 05-11-08, 09:06 PM

v639dragoon is on a distinguished road

At my university, public one, they allow me to get a quiet room to study in. It's awesome, and I bought these earmuffs to cancel out noise, so it's even more quiet! It's so tough to study when there are a ton of distractions around and loud noises and people talking and what not. Well it's finals week and im studying, gotta get back.