ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-20, 04:52 PM

Cracko is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Food interaction confusion, pH imbalances and baking soda (how/when)

I simply can't understand why my medication keeps shifting between working or not.
Dexamphetamine (or dexedrine) has worked some wonders, but many days it just won't work or the effect is easily disrupted - EVEN THOUGH I avoid citric acid, caffeine and stuff like aspartame in the first hours where I take the medication. I have tried using baking soda when the effect has turned sour, and SOMETIMES it has saved the medication's effect, other times it has just gotten worse. What's the deal with this? Are there additional directions of *how* and *when* to take baking soda and *how much*?
Also, avoiding everything with citric acid (i.e.) is difficult enough as it is. (Fruit alone, food items like various products of yogurt, cheese, a.o).
But even still, the effect is inconsistent from day to day. Is it just low pH level in general, that messes up the absorption of the drug, or mostly specific kinds of acids? Some days I've had fermented dairy products (like "A38", cottage cheese, kefir or others) and those have sometimes also seemed to corrupt the medication's effect - but the reason I had them, is because they're probiotic and supposedly healthy for the gut, which I've tried to improve as well. This is just f*§%ing confusing... And no doctors can tell me anything about this.
Moreover, I have sometimes experienced that (in)sufficient levels of blood sugar was the key (or culprit). But sometimes it also seems that taking dextrose (or other sugary items) can mess up the medication ('cause it's too acidic?).
So I really gotta ask for clarity on these issues. I hope you understand.

(Just as added info, I've tried to go after *alkalinic food products* too. But that seems inconsistent too - as well as various pH food charts/indexes that interchangably states for various food products to be acidic or basic (and then stuff that says lemons and oranges are alkaline or have an alkalizing effect in the urine/kidneys!). Therefore I don't know what to trust and just remain even more confused. And trying to eat vegetables when experiencing a bad decline of the medication, hasn't always helped.
Old 03-06-20, 10:38 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 17,191 Times in 8,118 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Food interaction confusion, pH imbalances and baking soda (how/when)

Welcome,
Many of us have are ups and downs with stimulants here. Tracking down what causes the same dose and regiment to vary from day to day is very difficult. For me, I’ve found the lack of proper sleep and enough stress can totally ruin any and all benefits, I usually experience. Higher doses don’t help me either.

Unfortunately, discussing the use of baking soda or other methods to help potentiate stimulants is prohibited here. We have to refer to FDA or maker approved dosing methods only. We just don’t want to be a source of info which could encourage and possibly be harmful to others.

Sorry, the moderator in me had to come out. I hope you and your Dr. can figure out a plan that makes your meds. work more consistently and effectively.

I hope you enjoy it here.

Cheers
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (03-07-20), Lunacie (03-07-20), someothertime (03-23-20)
Old 03-07-20, 11:42 AM

Hello and thanks for writing.
The thing about sleep is right too - how 'wonderful' for ADHD to be aquainted with sleep disorders in most cases. Would be easier to get enough amount of sleep, if one could fall actually asleep (without use of sedatives and melatonin that takes hours to work) and compensate with power naps, when one's body suddenly don't wanna sleep more than 4-6 hours despite following same procedure.
And the stress is just exactly among what I need the medication for - to tackle the 100s of unfinished projects that stress me out, so I utterly require it to work.

And okay, I was thinking of avoiding harmful use by seeking advice on the proper use of baking soda (apart from the rest of various food items). I've seen it discussed here, so thought it wasn't prohibited.
Maybe it's due to excessive amount of sodium and/or lack of other minerals aside from the use of baking soda, that sometimes destroys the medicine's effect.

I'll try. Greetings.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cracko For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (03-07-20)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-20, 10:04 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracko View Post
Hello and thanks for writing.
The thing about sleep is right too - how 'wonderful' for ADHD to be aquainted with sleep disorders in most cases. Would be easier to get enough amount of sleep, if one could fall actually asleep (without use of sedatives and melatonin that takes hours to work) and compensate with power naps, when one's body suddenly don't wanna sleep more than 4-6 hours despite following same procedure.
And the stress is just exactly among what I need the medication for - to tackle the 100s of unfinished projects that stress me out, so I utterly require it to work.

And okay, I was thinking of avoiding harmful use by seeking advice on the proper use of baking soda (apart from the rest of various food items). I've seen it discussed here, so thought it wasn't prohibited.
Maybe it's due to excessive amount of sodium and/or lack of other minerals aside from the use of baking soda, that sometimes destroys the medicine's effect.

I'll try. Greetings.
I agree, it sucks having stress overtake the benefits of medication especially, when thatís when you need it the most. I must say Adderall or Dexamp. both greatly help me deal with stress and anxiety to a certain point. Once, Iíve reached that point of a racing mind and beyond, my stimulant meds give up and seem to disappear. When, I need them the most.

I usually take Xanax when nothing else works. It has a positive effect on slowing my mind down where I can focus without the anxiety.
Old 03-07-20, 10:35 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracko View Post

I'll try. Greetings.
I appreciate your understanding. The problem is that there is no proper use or protocol for potentiating stimulants with baking soda. I’m not surprised there are still some old threads about it here though. Probably buried in the archives. Safety is the main reason it’s not allowed to be discussed or endorsed. Also, black box warnings on some stimulant meds specifically warn against the use of alkalizing agents when administering. None recommend their use with dosing or administering.
Quote:
Adderall and other stimulants are medications that people attempt to potentiate to increase the stimulating effect of the amphetamine drug. Unfortunately, potentiating Adderall can also increase the chances for dangerous side effects, including addiction.
Feel free to hit me up or any mods. via private message if have any concerns or questions. We are here to help.

Last edited by Greyhound1; 03-08-20 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: TypOCD
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
someothertime (03-23-20)
Old 03-15-20, 04:18 PM

Well I wish it was only stress messing it all up.
But the sensations range between anything from mood swings, irritability, negative thought spirals to anxiety, head 'crashing' and other discomfort - but WHEN the medication works (some of the days), it's just great!
So I don't want to 'intensify' anything here, only secure the effect and make sure I get about the same effect each day, instead of randomly becoming unstable whether I'm outside or home.
And I just can't figure out what the heck is the overall culprit - because what works seems to change from day to day. Maybe it's electrolyte imbalances, lack of vegetables, acid/alkaline-imbalance in the gut/bladder or something with gut health. And I try to improve it all! Have been hunting probiotics, new/healthier foods, implementing more exercise...
It's so inconsistent it's driving me off the cliff, all while 100s of unfinished projects lay around driving me nuts. :-S I want nothing more than basic function. Would be so fantastic to just sit and finish one thing after the other, especially now with all the coronavirus lockdown!