ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-19-20, 08:28 PM

happytwin1998 is on a distinguished road
Adderal Causing Costochondritis/Intense Chest Pain

Hello,

I started taking 40 mg instead of 20 mg XR in January or February and I started getting chest pains around April. I went to the emergency room TWICE with extreme pain RIGHT over my heart and numbness/tingling down my left arm. Both times they did the EKG, blood tests, everything and all of it came out perfectly normal and I was diagnosed with what they think is costochondritis. Cool, but the thing is, Iíve taken adderall since I was around 7 or 8 years old, took a break from 19-20 years old, then started back up 8 months ago when I turned 21. But NEVER in my life have I experienced chest pains. Even chronically. Iíve never ever had problems with anxiety, panic attacks, irritability, etc. Iíve been able to handle the adderall very well my whole life because I was monitored. But NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN Iím getting chest pains???? And I have anxiety??? What??? Doesnít make any sense...and the pain wonít go away on pain meds either so Iím literally stuck sitting here (even now typing this) dealing with intense chest pressure right over my heart and into my left arm. I can deal with it but it kind of gives me limited mobility in my left arm because it feels 20lbs heavier than it should be so lifting it sucks. I have no stomach problems or any other issues. Literally just pain that is ironically centered right over my heart. But like I said, apparently nothing is wrong with me according to all the scans and tests.

I actually went to the hospital last week because I was actually having heart attack/heart failure symptoms (literally textbook symptoms). I wasnít having any trouble breathing, but my heart rate was so fast it felt like it was going to beat out of my chest with the intense pain, I got the cold sweats on my hands and feet, I couldnít feel my legs and it was like the muscles were pulsating all around my body as if I was having like mini seizures/tremors, my vision was blurring, I was dizzy, and pain going through my upper back/left shoulder up to the left side of my neck and jaw. I tried my best to stay awake and I was thinking ďmaybe this is the costochondritis or somethingĒ but I had this horrible feeling it wasnít. My left arm was totally numb and my right arm was getting there (and let me remind you that my legs were numb as well). I was doing breathing exercises and was calm and trying to stay still, but it was like my body was trying to run a triathlon and wouldnít let me sit/lay down in peace without feeling my own heart rate. Oh I forgot to mention my blood pressure felt extremely high (and I never had an issue with hypertension on adderal or ever for that matter).

So yeah here I am feeling like Iím dying and Iím going to pass out and eventually the body tremors, cold sweats, dizziness, and blurred vision go away and all Iím left with is the intense chest pain and weakness of my left arm. Also, I was extremely tired it felt like I DID do a marathon and my body was going to collapse and sleep. So I go to the ER and they did tests and everything, but like I said above, Everything. Came. Out. Normal.....I donít have health insurance so I didnít wanna think the worst at the time I was having my ďheart attackĒ so I didnít go to the hospital since they already concluded that Iím healthy. So I went 7 hours later (it started at midnight, ďheart attackĒ happened at around 2 or 3 am, and then my body finally calmed down at around 7 am which is when I went).

Is it because I went to the hospital AFTER the incident that they couldnít find anything or am I actually healthy. Iím telling you, this was not a usual thing that happens to me. Is there any way an EKG, chest X-ray, and blood tests canít show underlying conditions in the heart that are just starting out? Could it be a small, hard to see issue in my heart that they keep missing because issues JUST started a month ago so it isnít as clear to the eye? Is there some rare thing goin on?

Side note: when I started having chest pains (minus the heart attack night), my heart rate is actually normal. Even on adderal in general, my heart rate isnít fast throughout my whole ďhighĒ only for the first hour or 2. When Iím having chest pains, my heart can get slightly irregular, but nothing drastic. So what is going on? Can someone who is experiencing this help me out.

Thanks.
Old 05-20-20, 06:42 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 24,073 Times in 14,215 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderal Causing Costochondritis/Intense Chest Pain

Hi and welcome, could it be anxiety? Or maybe your body isn't used to the Adderall again, being as you took quite a long break from it your body "forgot" how to behave when you take it? From your post I'm assuming it's prescribed?
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

Old 05-20-20, 07:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,277 Times in 12,426 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Ask your doctor.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (05-22-20)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-20, 01:36 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,357 Times in 3,009 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

It would not be the adderall causing the costochondritis

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (05-22-20), Little Missy (05-21-20)
Old 05-22-20, 05:06 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,311 Times in 15,448 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with KD-
I had to look this up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji View Post
It would not be the adderall causing the costochondritis
Quote:
Costochondritis (kos-toe-kon-DRY-tis) is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects a rib to the breastbone (sternum). Pain caused by costochondritis might mimic that of a heart attack or other heart conditions.

Costochondritis is sometimes known as chest wall pain, costosternal syndrome or costosternal chondrodynia. Sometimes, swelling accompanies the pain (Tietze syndrome).

Costochondritis usually has no apparent cause. Treatment focuses on easing your pain while you wait for the condition to improve on its own, which can take several weeks or longer.

Costochondritis usually goes away on its own, although it might last for several weeks or longer. Treatment focuses on pain relief.

Symptoms
The pain associated with costochondritis usually:

Occurs on the left side of your breastbone
Is sharp, aching or pressure-like
Affects more than one rib
Worsens when you take a deep breath or cough
When to see a doctor
If you have chest pain, you should seek emergency medical attention to rule out life-threatening causes such as a heart attack.

Causes
Costochondritis usually has no clear cause. Occasionally, however, costochondritis may be caused by:

Injury. A blow to the chest is one example.
Physical strain. Heavy lifting, strenuous exercise and severe coughing have been linked to costochondritis.
Arthritis. Costochondritis might be linked to specific problems, such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis or ankylosing spondylitis.
Joint infection. Viruses, bacteria and fungi ó such as tuberculosis, syphilis and aspergillosis ó can infect the rib joint.
Tumors. Noncancerous and cancerous tumors can cause costochondritis. Cancer might travel to the joint from another part of the body, such as the breast, thyroid or lung.
Risk factors
Costochondritis occurs most often in women and in people older than 40.
I agree that it probably isnt the adderall but i think that the timing is mucking things up. You are looking at it as it relates to a dose increase and I feel like because this condition can come on suddenly its a matter of possible coincidence.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (05-22-20)