ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 10-06-19, 04:27 PM

ballpointpen is on a distinguished road
Atomoxetine and depression?

I have recently been diagnosed with adult adhd. I already have a diagnosis of bipolar affective disorder and CPTSD. I am currently not in therapy since my therapist went on maternity leave.

I have been prescribed atomoxetine (a non stimulant) due to be being a former addict (although I am 13 years clean). The trouble is since taking a very small dose (I’m due to titrate to a higher dose), I have lost all motivation, lost my sex drive, am extremely irritable and am just horrendously fed up. I wouldn’t say I was depressed, but I have zero get up and go and just wish I was dead.

Has anyone else been prescribed atomoxetine and had these problems? I know I have to speak to the prescriber but she is horrible and I am worried she won’t take my concerns seriously. When stable, I am upbeat and motivated but I just feel dead. Any advice?
Old 10-07-19, 09:59 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Atomoxetine and depression?

Here is a quote I pulled from an article when I googled " Is stratterra like antidepressants "
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballpointpen View Post
I have recently been diagnosed with adult adhd. I already have a diagnosis of bipolar affective disorder and CPTSD. I am currently not in therapy since my therapist went on maternity leave.

I have been prescribed atomoxetine (a non stimulant) due to be being a former addict (although I am 13 years clean). The trouble is since taking a very small dose (I’m due to titrate to a higher dose), I have lost all motivation, lost my sex drive, am extremely irritable and am just horrendously fed up. I wouldn’t say I was depressed, but I have zero get up and go and just wish I was dead.

Has anyone else been prescribed atomoxetine and had these problems? I know I have to speak to the prescriber but she is horrible and I am worried she won’t take my concerns seriously. When stable, I am upbeat and motivated but I just feel dead. Any advice?
Quote:
Serious side effects are less likely with Strattera than with stimulants, although the drug is not without safety concerns of its own. It works in similar ways to some antidepressants, and, like those antidepressants, has been issued a warning about increased suicide risk in children. In rare cases, it has also been shown to cause sexual and urinary problems.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 10-17-19, 10:58 AM

Alphawave is on a distinguished road
Re: Atomoxetine and depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballpointpen View Post

Strattera works for me. I didn't notice any adverse symptoms when I started it, all I noticed was a reduction in anxiety. What dose are you on and how long have you been on that dose?

Last edited by Alphawave; 10-17-19 at 11:09 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-19, 11:26 AM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light
Try Atomoxitine with Vyvanse

I don't have any other diagnoses other than ADHD & depression (and low T-3 syndrome FWIW), but I also felt horrible and unmotivated on atomoxitine alone...until it was paired with Vyvanse or Adderall. And then...what a difference! I could actually carry through on tasks and even think ahead. It is still a big effort to push through, but the difference is seeing results for my effort.

I should say that I still feel a little sick and like I'm going to have a heart attack for the first day or 2 when I start or re-start on atomoxitine--so it's better not to miss a day! But the combination was noticeably better than Vyvanse or Atomoxitine alone.

Good luck!