ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-03-11, 04:14 PM

ADDinSRQ is on a distinguished road
I'd like to share some of my troubles with ADD and ADD medication with you all.

I'd like to share some of my troubles with ADD and ADD medication with you all. I wanted to start out by saying that ADD sucks. Stating the obvious right?

With out medication I have a hard time doing much of anything that takes a lot of concentration, especially reading, and even more so, writing. Reading the same line 2 or 3 times just to understand the meaning because I can't quite seem to stay focused on it sucks. Trying to grasp a concept from a book is like trying to navigate through a fog with shiny objects flashing on each side. Even when I take away all out side stimuli and isolate myself, I'll still start thinking of other things while reading and not remember and damn thing I just read. What's worse is trying to write a paper. Everything in a paper is supposed to be organized and follow a straight line of thought. Well my brain doesn't work like that. Even on ADD meds writing papers is still a pain and I'm constantly trying to edit it so that it makes sense and I don't go off rambling in another direction.

Now for ADD medication. ADD medication is fantastic, for 6 hours. I'm on adderall and I've been on Adderall for almost 2 decades (I got a late start on college). I take Adderall IR 20mg twice daily with 3hrs and 40 min between my 1st and second dose. The thing is, my medication only lasts about 6 hours. Even if I were to up my dose tomorrow, the Adderall would be stronger, but would still only last 6 hours. I've tried other medications. Same issue. I'd like to be able to take Adderall 3 times a day. In fact I've tried that. Sure I'll get about 2 hours more of coverage from it, but I also build up tolerance faster and I can't sleep at night. I really wish I was like those people that can take medication and get benefits from it for 12+ hours. (just FYI I'm not one of those people that up there meds because they think that when the euphoria goes away the medication isn't working, I base the effectiveness of my dose on how well I can focus)

My biggest issue is now I'm finishing up my 2nd year of college and next semester is when the hard stuff begins. I've managed to keep a high GPA even with such a short study window but I don't know if this is going to cut it once I'm taking my core and major courses. And lastly, I'm going into finance so my work days will be at minimum 8 hours a day so I'll need at least that long for coverage. Hopefully with in the next 2 years I can find a combination of mends or a new med will come out that will help me about obtain a functioning time that is as long as a work day. I'm kinda at a point where I don't really know what to do. I've tried Daytrana for a few days but even with 2 30mg patches I didn't get the focus I need, I may try it again once I take a 3 week med break at the end of summer B semester, that way my tolerance to medication will be reduced.

My reasons for writing this is to share my experience with every one here. Feel free to comment if you'd like. I'm sure that some of you experience the same thing as me.
(And if you're meds are out of your system you'll probably be thinking the same thing I would "tl;dr")
Old 07-04-11, 06:14 AM

MacMan is on a distinguished road
Re: I'd like to share some of my troubles with ADD and ADD medication with you all.

Adderall is bittersweet. I love it when it helps me function; when it stops my day pretty much ends. I just recently started taking a 3rd dose. I've only been on Adderall since December/Janurary and at first I couldn't sleep at all & took my BP way up too and this was only on 10-15mg a day. Now I'm on a much higher dose (about to ask for the forum's advice regarding it. I can fall asleep now if I wanted to. I take Klonopin at night time...but I spend so much damn time on the internet i get to bed late anyway.

When you say 6 hours...do you mean each dose lasts that long or the combination of them? Adderall lasts VERY VERY short for me. It sucks, but yeah I hope they come up with something better than the meds out there now (I'm on IR and didn't like XR)