ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 09-02-17, 06:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

Kaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to all
Re: What are the most negligent and silly things you have done because of your ADHD?

I love this topic! So good to find recognition and laugh about ourselves, never liked people more than what i'm reading here! Few recent things that come to mind:

*Re re re boiling tea water
*Going through the trash because i lost something
*Panic in the car because i think i left my glasses at the gasstation... they were hanging in my shirt
*Bathing moments: soap (did i or did i not?) and shave (miss a body part)
*Talks with myself. I: "yes, i think that too..." Me: "yeah but i am you"
*Staring at my not so well organised closet... it's a lot but what to wear? Color of underwear and socks must match. Discovering clothes with price tags on... so happy with the purchase, but when was that?
*Most stressful: having hours left to get ready, next moment panic for having to rush! And than i get agitated inside at the person expecting me to be on time
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaia.S For This Useful Post:
stef (09-19-17)
Old 09-16-17, 03:48 AM

Ronelh has disabled reputation
Re: What are the most negligent and silly things you have done because of your ADHD?

1. I lived with a coworker's mother for a summer while taking courses required for my profession. Each day I cut through her garage to leave the house on my way to class. One day, she mentioned her ride-on mower, and I said, "Oh, you have a ride-on mower? Cool, I didn't know that!" She said, "Yes, it's in the garage. You've been walking past it every day for the past month," and sure enough, when I looked, there it was, large as life, taking up one whole side of the garage. I had just been so hyperfocused on getting to class every time I walked by it, that I hadn't even noticed it. She laughed at me for that the rest of the summer, and when I wasn't feeling too embarrassed, I had to laugh with her.

2. Left my purse behind in a public place, once in a huge mall and once in an airport in London. Thankfully I got them back with nothing stolen, but the lost-and-found staff obviously thought I was very silly to forget it. Now when I go anywhere, if i do set my purse down, i make sure to place it in such a way that I can't leave without tripping over it. I haven't forgotten it since the airport incident, though I've come close a few times.
stef (09-19-17)
Old 09-16-17, 03:21 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

Bought a 30 K car and then having to give it back because i couldn't afforded anymore because i stopped showing up for my job and then moved to a totally diffident city about 16 hours away from where a lived,with a different job, which then i was being fired for taking to long a certain task so then i jumped to a totally new city again about 3 hours away which then i started working a construction site to make money which only lasted 2 weeks and then i quit and got another job. Only within the span of 6 months. (Wife and a 3 year old tagging along wondering what hell i was doing)
stef (09-19-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-17, 04:29 AM

holopickles is on a distinguished road

1. I went to the Mcdonalds drive through the other day, paid, got my food, and before I drove off I asked the guy if I could have fries. The cashier gave me this confused blank stare before he asked me ".....whaa?" I confidently said again, can I have fries please? I then realized I thought I was asking for ketchup. Of course I laughed, and drove off after I got my ketchup

2. I had to get TB tests for school, so I got them done.... 6+ times because my school kept rejecting them, then I realized I was getting the wrong tests done before I got it right.

3. My boyfriends mom invited me to go to the pool hall with her last weekend, turns out she said "No, we're not going to the pool hall, I asked if you wanted to go shopping with me for some pool supplies." Oh.... right!

There are many other mindless things I have done! They're just not coming to me right now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to holopickles For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-19-17), stef (09-19-17)
Old 09-19-17, 09:18 PM

holopickles is on a distinguished road

I just thought of more!

I have lost my glasses/remote control in the past and I'll find them in the fridge.

Backing up into my friend's car while she was helping me parallel park because I didn't realize how close I was.

When I was a teenager, I let my Boston terrier out to use the bathroom in our yard... It wasn't until I heard her barking maybe 45 minutes later when I realized she was outside. She was so mad at me. Poor girl.

Went on a late night run to White Castle, half-way home I realized I had left cupcakes that I made in the oven. I was so worried that I'd come home to the house on fire, but somehow they turned out to be baked perfectly.

Yesterday about 10 firetrucks and ambulances were traveling in the direction of my house and I started to second guess myself, thinking I had left a burner on or something, so I drove home and made sure the house wasn't on fire.

Once I zoned out and ran a red light by my house by mistake. Once I got home I heard a ton of sirens, thinking I caused a wreck. I got back in my car and drove over there to make sure there wasn't an accident. There wasn't.

I was a nanny for a year. Once I left the family's house, I would always have to go back because I realized I left things like my wallet, jacket, keys, etc. The family got so used to it that once I knocked they automatically opened the door holding what I left lol! And I almost always left a bottle of water somewhere in their house. I felt so bad, they were very kind people, so they didn't care, they thought it was funny.

I worked at a tanning salon as a teen and gave someone too much change so my drawer was off. I was so worried about getting fired that I took my own money and put it back in. Followed by counting the drawer multiple times. This was a recurring thing.

Constantly driving past my house to make sure it's not on fire. LMAO
The Following User Says Thank You to holopickles For This Useful Post:
stef (09-27-17)
Old 09-27-17, 12:16 PM

lgwinn2010 is on a distinguished road

Well, just to name a few...

One day I had to go to work early to catch up on some extra workloads I had dumped on me so I drove to downtown instead of taking the train like usual. I got about 8 miles down the interstate and realized I forgot my key/key card to the office bldg, which I needed since I was to be the first person in that day. So I had to turn around and go all the way back home to get it. Then, I parked my car near US Bank Stadium then got on the train to take me the last 2 blocks...got to the office and realized I left it in my car. So, I had to go BACK to the train station, take the train BACK to my car to get my key then head back to the office. Things like this happen to me pretty frequently.

I have also forgotten where I parked or which mode of transportation I took to work on many occasions. For example, I'll get on the train and make it like, 10 stops before realizing I drove that day, have to go back and get my car from downtown. Or I leave my keys on my desk at work and have to go back to the office to get them.

A few times I have just spaced and completely missed my stop so I'll have to get off the train, wait for the next one going the opposite way, and once even missed my stop going the OTHER way, too.

I used to take my mother in law grocery shopping (she's now to frail to even get in my car so now we just get a list and bring her her groceries), and frequently would drive the completely opposite direction, as if I had intended to just take her back to my house. She would suddenly go "Where are you going?" Right as I'm about to turn onto my block.

I have forgotten so many appointments that the European Wax Center in uptown threatened to stop taking me as a client...

I frequently forget that I brought lunch to work, so not only do I not put it in the fridge when I get to work, I get home to spoiled food still in my purse, and I go pick up lunch from some place during my lunch breaks, spending more money than I need to.

I could probably go on all day but you get the idea.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lgwinn2010 For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-27-17), stef (10-06-17)
Old 10-06-17, 09:12 AM
Jr Member

concentric is on a distinguished road

Left the house to run an errand in the middle of cooking. Come home to see my oven on fire and kitchen completely burnt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to concentric For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-06-17), stef (10-06-17)
Old 10-24-17, 01:34 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,222 Times in 518 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

The one thing that pretty much sums up my whole entire life, was when I was in 7th grade. My mom was trying to explain a math concept to me, drawing it out and everything. Suddenly, I realized it had gotten silent and snapped out of my daydreaming. My mom was staring at me and I asked, "Was I supposed to be thinking?" We still joke about that to this day. Whenever I zone out when she's talking to me or do something else stupid (which is all the time), we laugh and say, "Was I supposed to be thinking?"

One of the more recent really stupid things I did, was last winter I kept forgetting to pay the gas bill. I missed the letter in the mail warning that it was overdue and they were going to shut off the gas, because I tossed it aside and never opened it. They shut it off on the coldest day of winter, so we couldn't heat the house or cook. We froze our butts off all night until they came out the next day to turn it back on and I had to pay an extra fee. The household was not happy with me.

There are tons of other things, but I will have to post them some other time when I think of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (10-25-17)
Old 10-25-17, 04:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

OyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud of

What a fun thread!

I have done all the classics like walking out of the shower with conditioner still in my hair, shaving one leg and forgetting to do the other, inside out shirts and mismatching socks, forgetting to finish doing my make-up before going out, walking out in my PJs, forgetting my own age, locking myself out of cars and other places, losing the car etc.

Some other notable moments:

Last weekend I had a scare thinking I lost my wallet at a night club after we had left. It was closing time, but my friend and I ran back and had staff and my friend help me search the place. Turned out I was wearing a hoodie that day and had put it in my hoodie pocket instead of in my purse. I pretended to be OK with having lost my wallet and, told the staff "oh well, I guess it's gone" and left and only told my friend once we were outside. This was just a few days after my first ADHD appointment, so we had a good laugh about it.

I've had similar hoodie incidents previously, including one especially notable time where I freaked out about how I lost my phone with all my credit and ID cards in its sleeve while alone in a foreign city. It took me running around the city crying and trying to find the best place to survive the cold winter night before I realized what was going on. No alcohol was involved that time. (I really should stop wearing hoodies with kangaroo pouches.)

While traveling in Germany, my boyfriend at the time had just bought us some prepaid internet time and I threw away the slip the code to access it was on. After he specifically told me to keep it safe in my purse. He never let that one go and we still joke about the time I trashed the Internet.

Had a gift card and went on a shopping spree. Paid with my credit card instead of gift card and was broke the rest of the month.

Sometimes I accidentally steal things from stores by forgetting to put all my items on the conveyor belt. I put most items down and then just walk out with the rest in my hand. I do go back and pay when I realize I'm doing it.

I really could write all day about my mindless shenanigans, but this will have to do for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
WhiteOwl (10-25-17)
Old 11-05-17, 07:27 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough
Thread After Thread Asking How to Describe What It's Like to Have ADHD...

and the simplest answer is to let them read this thread...hilarious, heartbreaking and frustrating as hell.

I love reading this thread!
Old 03-13-18, 07:28 PM

MindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the rough

Where do I begin?

1. Watched a movie in my dorm room, forgetting that I was cooking potatoes. Somehow I didnít start a fire, but the potatoes could not be salvaged.
2. Set fire to the grill because I was watching a YouTube video. Remarkably, the oven and tabletop was fine. So was the bacon.
3. Accidentally left a chopping board on a hot stove (a lot of kitchen stuff on this list. I had to peel the molten plastic off the damn thing. Not fun.
4. eBay. Nuff said.
5. Drank way too much while watching a movie with my flat mates, thinking I could handle it. I couldnít stand properly, my vision became blurry and I projectile vomited all over the untreated wooden floor.
6. Lost my virginity on impulse with guy I barely knew at a party because ďmeh, why not?Ē. Oh, my friend walked in on us. Stupid stupid stupid.
7. I, a grown *** woman, made a Halloween costume in one evening because I thought it would be cool to be dressed up at uni. I literally went to class wearing a costume just to see if I could get away with it.
8. Compulsively stole stationary at school without realising I did it until I was home. I could have made a good shop lifter.
9. When I was a student, I used to leave my flat in the early hours of the morning just because I had a craving for yoghurt or wanted to read the comics in the library. This was while living in a city known for high crime rates.
10. Had a gambling problem in Pokemon Yellow, but I got a Dratini out of it so it wasnít so bad.
11. My credit score. Nuff said.
12. I start arguments for sport. Too numerous to mention.
13. One time when I was a child, I tried to yank out a pair of pliers that were stuck on a branch. Without looking, I ended up stabbing my sister in the arm. She still has the scar.
14. I sliced open my finger with a cheese grater. I still have that scar.
15. Accidentally took my mumís tramadol, thinking it was paracetamol. I got really sick and thought I was going to die.
16. Tried to run across train tracks, while a train about to depart, because I didnít want to be late for class. Surprised I didnít get fined or sectioned.

Thatís all I can think of right now.