ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 02-17-18, 10:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,221 Times in 920 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: Questions about so called SCT?

Quote:
Russell Barkley

The Second Attention Disorder:

Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (or ADD) Vs. ADHD
This is the title of the video (0:08), posted in the inattentive section sticky thread called “Updated information on SCT”.

Note the title says, ”SCT (or ADD) Vs. ADHD”.

This will be important to note for future discussion.

M
Old 02-17-18, 11:07 PM

Reading about so called SCT, I have noticed people often say SCT is not ADHD.

But I have never read anyone say SCT is not ADHD-PI.

Has anyone heard anyone say SCT is not ADHD-PI?

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 02-17-18 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: Edited removed focusing on not focusing any one person , grammar,
Old 03-12-18, 05:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

That last one seems to be the hard question, because of so many people having combined symptoms. Thought this article was interesting. What I don't seem to have so much of is daytime drowsiness, so...I just don't know.
"SCT: A New Type of ADHD for Next DSM?" by Gina Pera

Last edited by namazu; 03-12-18 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Links to commercial websites & blogs w/o reciprocal links are prohibited.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-18, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBV View Post
That last one seems to be the hard question, because of so many people having combined symptoms. Thought this article was interesting. What I don't seem to have so much of is daytime drowsiness, so...I just don't know.
"SCT: A New Type of ADHD for Next DSM?" by Gina Pera
SCT(ADD without hyperactivity) is the research term for ADHD-PI.

The researchers picked words to describe symptoms of ADD without hyperactivity, that are not in presently in the DSM.

The differences between words to describe symptoms of SCT(ADD without hyperactivity) and ADHD-PI are based on semantics.

M
Old 03-18-18, 05:57 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,252 Times in 14,926 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4474281/

Quote:
Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a heterogeneous disorder with impairments in the symptom domains of inattention and/or hyperactivity/impulsivity. Although these domains are distinct, there is also a high degree of correlation between them (Willcutt et al., 2012). More recently, an additional symptom domain has been associated with ADHD, namely sluggish cognitive tempo (SCT). SCT is associated with symptoms including daydreaming, drowsiness, sluggishness/slowness to respond and hypoactivity (Barkley, 2014; Penny et al., 2009). It is also highly correlated with the symptom domain of inattention across studies (see Willcutt et al., 2012) and may be significantly negatively correlated with hyperactivity/impulsivity (Lee et al., 2014; Penny et al., 2009). It has been estimated that 30–63% of individuals with ADHD inattentive subtype have high levels of SCT (Carlson and Mann, 2002; Garner et al., 2010; McBurnett et al., 2001). However, some evidence suggests that SCT may be a distinct disorder, as factor analysis studies demonstrate a clear separation of these symptom types (Lee et al., 2014; McBurnett et al., 2014; Willcutt et al., 2014) and approximately half of individuals with ADHD may not qualify for SCT and vice versa (Barkley, 2013; Garner et al., 2010). One very recent study examined whether SCT fits better with the construct of a symptom domain within ADHD or a distinct factor separate from ADHD (Garner et al., 2014). Although SCT correlated strongly positively with inattention and negatively with hyperactivity/impulsivity, the best fitting model was one that represented SCT as structurally distinct not only from ADHD symptoms but an ADHD diagnosis itself.
Quote:
The results from this study suggest that cognitive-control-related brain activity is distinctly related to SCT symptoms and inattentive symptoms within a group of adolescents with ADHD. We argue that this represents a first step towards defining SCT as having a distinct neural signature from more traditionally defined ADHD symptomatology. A tendency in participants with more SCT symptoms to activate the left SPL less may reflect impaired reorientation or shifting of attention. An association between inattentive symptoms and more activity in the SMA and less in the bilateral thalamus during response preparation may suggest a general deficit in response preparation with increasing inattention; however this may be due to impoverished processing of the cue itself. Alternatively, it may represent impairment in integrating information or in mediating task set maintenance. This study is the first to demonstrate dissociation between inattention- and SCT-related symptoms in ADHD in terms of cue-related brain activity.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-18-18)
Old 03-18-18, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post

Why do the researchers who did this research study people who have AD(H)D to make their conclusions about so called SCT, if so called SCT is really distinct disorder than AD(H)D?

Could the differences in individual AD(H)D presentation be partly due to different types of autonomic dysregulation?

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-18-18 at 11:34 PM..
Old 03-18-18, 11:31 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,050 Times in 7,238 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Why do the researchers who did this research study people who have AD(H)D to make their conclusions, if so called SCT is really distinct disorder than AD(H)D?

Could the differences in individual AD(H)D presentation be partly due to different types of autonomic dysregulation?

M

SCT is not yet recognized as its own distinct disorder is why more research is needed.

I say yes to the second question.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-18-18)
Old 03-19-18, 05:23 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

The two are not considered the same disorder and I am not sure why you are so emphatic on saying they are.

Quote:
Why do the researchers who did this research study people who have AD(H)D to make their conclusions about so called SCT, if so called SCT is really distinct disorder than AD(H)D?

I am not so good a breaking down these sorts of papers.I'll have to re-read it a few times to do it.

I think they were trying to break down the differences, but to be fair Im not as good at breaking down these types of papers like other members can. I'll re-read it a few times in hopes of being able to. But until they prove that the two disorders are the same and then names can be used interchangebly, the two are separate disorders.

M

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-19-18, 06:55 PM

Quote:
The two are not considered the same disorder and I am not sure why you are so emphatic on saying they are.
Do you also think ADD and ADHD are different disorders?

I do not.

That is partly why I am so serious about these subjects.

M
Old 03-20-18, 04:43 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Do you also think ADD and ADHD are different disorders?

I do not.

That is partly why I am so serious about these subjects.

M
I do not think they are different disorders but the DSM as erased the idea of ADD and grouped everything under ADHD. SCT is not used interchangeably with ADD because it is considered a distinct disorder (at least while its being studied to even become an "official" disorder).

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-20-18)
Old 03-20-18, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I do not think they are different disorders but the DSM as erased the idea of ADD and grouped everything under ADHD. SCT is not used interchangeably with ADD because it is considered a distinct disorder (at least while its being studied to even become an "official" disorder).
How can you say it is a separate disorder if it is not even a “official” disorder?

Dr. Barkley made up SCT.

All research says somewhere in that research there is not enough information to know much, if anything at all.

Selling SCT at ADDF?

M

Last edited by Greyhound1; 03-20-18 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: Removed accusation
Old 03-20-18, 04:19 PM

Example

Quote:
Quote:
The term SCT also implies that the neurocognitive dysfunction underlying the condition is well-known and supported by empirical evidence, and this is very far from the case at the moment.
-Dr. Barkley
http://www.russellbarkley.org/factsh...itiveTempo.pdf

M
Old 03-20-18, 04:37 PM

Example from the article Sarahsweets posted.

Quote:
There are a number of potential limitations that may somewhat limit the generalizability of our findings. We did not enroll subjects based upon SCT symptoms alone; we enrolled subjects based upon ADHD diagnoses.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4474281/

If SCT is a separate disorder why are the researchers using people diagnosed with AD(H)D, to research so called SCT?

I wish all the threads about SCT would be moved to the science section, putting the SCT threads in this section makes it appear as if researchers know more than they do.

M

Last edited by Greyhound1; 03-20-18 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: Insulting and accusations
Old 03-20-18, 04:57 PM

Thanked 25,908 Times in 12,085 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How can you say it is a separate disorder if it is not even a “official” disorder?

Dr. Barkley made up SCT.

All research says somewhere in that research there is not enough information to know much, if anything at all.

Selling SCT at ADDF?

M
Generally Dr. Barkley reports on research that is being done, he doesn't make
up new research names himself. If he had that capability, ADHD would be called
SRDD (self regulation deficit disorder).

Quote:
Example from the article Sarahsweets posted.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4474281/

If SCT is a separate disorder why are the researchers using people diagnosed with AD(H)D, to research so called SCT?

I wish all the threads about SCT would be moved to the science section, putting the SCT threads in this section makes it appear as if researchers know more than they do, when moderators are claiming SCT is a separate disorder.

M
Researchers are trying to decide whether SCT is the same as or different than ADHD.

To do that, they need to compare people who have ADHD symptoms to people
who have some of the same symptoms but also have some different symptoms.

There is an overlap in some symptoms between many disorders, such as mood
swings in both ADHD and Bipolar, yet they are different in the way they happen
and how long they last.

Some researchers think that even if SCT is a separate disorder, it's still related
to ADHD in some ways. Without a definitive answer I can how discussions of
of SCT could belong in either the ADHD-PI section or the science section.

Maybe the mods or admins will weigh in on this. The best way to get an answer
about a question like this is to send one of them, or several of them, a PM to
be sure you're catching their attention.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (03-20-18)
Old 03-20-18, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Generally Dr. Barkley reports on research that is being done, he doesn't make
up new research names himself. If he had that capability, ADHD would be called
SRDD (self regulation deficit disorder).

Researchers are trying to decide whether SCT is the same as or different than ADHD.

To do that, they need to compare people who have ADHD symptoms to people
who have some of the same symptoms but also have some different symptoms.

There is an overlap in some symptoms between many disorders, such as mood
swings in both ADHD and Bipolar, yet they are different in the way they happen
and how long they last.

Some researchers think that even if SCT is a separate disorder, it's still related
to ADHD in some ways. Without a definitive answer I can how discussions of
of SCT could belong in either the ADHD-PI section or the science section.

Maybe the mods or admins will weigh in on this. The best way to get an answer
about a question like this is to send one of them, or several of them, a PM to
be sure you're catching their attention.
There is a video where dr Barkley says he made up a disorder.

When I find it I will post it here.

M