ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-18, 05:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,778 Times in 1,937 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: What mannerisms of yours are off putting to others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
If anyone even spoke part of a line that is in a show tune or a musical one of us would carry it on. Loudly.

I do it a lot at the gas station because they have very loud outdoor speakers.
Haha.

It's a shame we don't all live close by. I don't get people who don't like hearing singing. What is there not to love about show tunes and musicals?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-15-18), Kaia.S (03-16-18), Little Missy (03-15-18), psychopathetic (03-15-18)
Old 03-15-18, 05:44 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,371 Times in 7,155 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I think there must be lots of things that are off putting about me
NOPE!

Not possible.

DOES NOT COMPUTE!...

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (03-15-18)
Old 03-15-18, 06:36 PM

Thanked 21,170 Times in 11,327 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
Haha.

It's a shame we don't all live close by. I don't get people who don't like hearing singing. What is there not to love about show tunes and musicals?
I know, or if I belt out a great line and someone answers from far off in the store!

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (03-15-18), aeon (03-15-18), Fuzzy12 (03-15-18), Kaia.S (03-16-18), stef (03-15-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-18, 07:52 PM

Thanked 29,594 Times in 13,648 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I know, or if I belt out a great line and someone answers from far off in the store!
Do you do that? That's so cool. I always stop myself from joining in or singing the next line wheni can hear someone singing a tune I know...I'd love to join in...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (03-16-18), Little Missy (03-15-18)
Old 03-15-18, 08:45 PM

Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Do you do that? That's so cool. I always stop myself from joining in or singing the next line wheni can hear someone singing a tune I know...I'd love to join in...
yes! You've got to live a little!

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (03-15-18), Greyhound1 (03-15-18), Kaia.S (03-16-18)
Old 03-15-18, 09:02 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 14,487 Times in 6,950 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Not so much anymore but in school, I always irritated those around me during test taking. It would be silent in the room with the exception of me. I would be bouncing my restless knee and leg, tapping my pencil or foot on something trying to think or maybe making fart sounds trying to get laughs.

I was a real disturbance in class especially, when I didn’t know or understand the testing material, which was most of the time.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (03-15-18), Little Missy (03-17-18), OyVeyKitty (03-16-18), psychopathetic (03-16-18)
Old 03-15-18, 09:21 PM
Contributor

eats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
Do you still play the guitar Eats?
Always, and forever.

You say I'm weird? Well, I grew up next to a power
plant, what's your excuse?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eats_mice For This Useful Post:
FlipperTheWhale (03-18-18), psychopathetic (03-16-18)
Old 03-15-18, 09:31 PM

Thanked 14,545 Times in 6,493 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

It has very rarely been a problem with women, but often enough with men (most often because it breaks a social code and because they don't know what to do with it), and that is how easily I cry.

I cry for reasons of music, in witness of beauty, for happiness when I am grounded and open, in experience of the emotion that can come from understanding something profound, and when someone shares of themselves genuinely and deeply such that they reveal their humanity...when they dare to be real, when they embody their true self.

I know some people are bothered by my singing in the grocery or at the gas station, but I have plenty of great experiences too, and I'm not going to stop because someone might be bothered.

I'll retell socially-transgressive, morbid, unapologetically smutty, and profane jokes with real enjoyment and enthusiasm, assuming no one will be offended, and doh!, sometimes they are.

At work, I'm thankful my coworkers work with me to accommodate my forgetfulness. I've encouraged them to always remind me, follow up, and to never worry about being a pest, because I will be grateful. I think before we reached this level of understanding, I annoyed a couple of people to the degree they were fit to be tied.

And I'm sure some people have been put off by my dashing good looks, suave and debonair style, and my degree of social grace as demonstrated by impeccable manners and poise under pressure.

Lulz,
Ian
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (03-15-18), Greyhound1 (03-15-18), Kaia.S (03-16-18), Little Missy (03-17-18), OyVeyKitty (03-16-18), stef (03-16-18)
Old 03-17-18, 08:50 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,461 Times in 14,483 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"Life is a Caberet old chum!"

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-17-18, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
"Life is a Caberet old chum!"
Come to the Cabaret!!!!

Old 03-17-18, 01:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation

You know, probably everyone in the world has mannerisms that are annoying to some people, regardless of whether they have ADD . But I suppose the ADD tendency to get distracted and/or restless might mean the person has more odd mannerisms, or that they don't realize when it is annoying to others.

I reckon I have a lot, but most people are too polite to tell me. One I suspect is annoying to people is eye contact, only the opposite problem from what most people on this thread are reporting. I live in a culture where it is rude to make constant eye contact in conversation the way Americans do (it is a sign you are angry with the person). But if I don't look at the person, I get distracted by my surroundings and don't hear what they say (especially since I have to communicate in a foreign language). So I just do my best not to make eye contact constantly. I'm not sure how much of this problem is cultural and how much is ADD, though.

Another which is more likely due to ADD, is my tendency to sort of stammer. Not as in a real speech impediment, just that I have so many thoughts going on in my head that my speech gets jumbled or I lose my train of thought half-way through saying it. It's annoying to me, so I expect it must be annoying to others too.
acdc01 (03-19-18), psychopathetic (03-17-18), stef (03-20-18)
Old 03-19-18, 06:22 PM

Thanked 33,517 Times in 15,148 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
What about you do you think is off-putting to others?

I'm asking about mannerisms, facial expressions. Tone of voice, the way you stand, stuff like that. Subtle things that can have an impact on how you project yourself to others.

For me my difficulties with eye contact is one. This spaced out look I get sometimes cause well I'm not really paying attention to what they say is another (though the look doesn't happen too often). Those I think are directly from my adhd.

I also sometimes speak with a tone of absolute certainty in my convictions sometimes. I've had one person tell me they loved it cause they knew I was right and also, deep inside I don't think she liked the person I was disagreeing with. Usually though, I think it **** off the person I'm disagreeing with making me seem arrogant and condescending to them. This I don't think is related to my adhd.
off the top of my head, i'd say:

i have some things that are probably adhd related, like being fidgety, and some that are not...like...other things i do. but i know that i have some offputting stuff.

i have eye contact trouble or over eye contact making trouble. never in the middle.

sometimes my affect is inappropriate. i don't really want to give an example of this one.

i talk really fast. and i'm rather animated when talking. people tend to like this or really strongly dislike it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (03-19-18), aeon (03-19-18), OyVeyKitty (03-20-18), stef (03-20-18)
Old 03-19-18, 07:31 PM
Jr Member

wazneverhere is on a distinguished road

From what I have kind of been told in the past from my friends or boyfriend is that my smirk or my light smile may come off as if I am laughing at what they're saying when they're speaking to me. Like I'm not really taking them seriously. Other times, I've been looked at weirdly for laughing when the person's intention wasn't to be funny.

I laugh so much, it used to be hard to control it. Luckily, its gotten better.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wazneverhere For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (03-19-18), aeon (03-19-18), Little Missy (03-19-18), OyVeyKitty (03-20-18), stef (03-20-18)