ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

View Poll Results: Did your dad play R&T with you in early childhood ?
yes 2 25.00%
no 3 37.50%
I don't know 3 37.50%
a male adult, but not the biological father 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-19, 05:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,497 Times in 12,369 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are you play-deprived ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Interesting thought, but I think better diagnoses explains the "surge" in adhd
diagnoses. Some doctors are still catching up the idea that girls may have adhd
and that many children often don't "outgrow it." So those girls and adults who
are being diagnosed accounts for much of the rise in diagnoses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post
If I remember well, the surge has been noted in the boys-only population as well, so I am still waiting for my Nobel

?
Are you assuming that the rise in diagnosis of boys is not due in part at least
to misdiagnosis? Some of those boys may have a different disorder like ASD,
and in some cases they are simply the youngest child in the class and therefore
delayed compared to their older classmates?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
userguide (03-06-19)
Old 02-28-19, 07:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

I probably had R & T play with my sister and brother. I've been told that people don't usually retain any memories of when they were 2-year-olds. However, I have a brief memory of evacuating a slightly flooded neighborhood as a two and a half year-old. Was told by my older sister that the memory could only be about a time when a hurricane had passed over Southeast Texas in 1949. I remember being carried by my father as the rest of the family waded through water inhabited by local snakes. Fear of that event and the snakes account for the vivid memory, which I still recalled as an adult.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-01-19), userguide (03-06-19)
Old 03-01-19, 06:43 PM

Thanked 1,269 Times in 959 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

I think being born with separation anxiety, not play deprivation is a primary factor in my case.

Separation anxiety may have interfered with the way I played, when I played, but I was not deprived.

If my separation anxiety had been addressed, my play may have been even more productive in promoting my brain development.

The separation anxiety came first, any interruption in play due to separation anxiety was secondary.

M
userguide (03-06-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-19, 06:11 PM
Contributor

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Are you assuming that the rise in diagnosis of boys is not due in part at least to misdiagnosis?
Then we could assume a similar rise in other illnesses - why would ADHD misdiagnosis be any special ? Yet ADHD rate is supposed to be dramatically higher - but maybe it isn't (fake news?)

Quote:
Some of those boys may have a different disorder like ASD,
and in some cases they are simply the youngest child in the class and therefore
delayed compared to their older classmates?
What does it have to do with my ingenious theory ?

The number of youngest boys in the class has not changed for decades, has it ?
Old 03-13-19, 05:21 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,908 Times in 15,257 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Let's try out the rat hypothesis:

Have you played with your father a rough-n-tumble-like play before the age of 2 ?

The hypothsis holds if not, your PFC is underdeveloped.
Quote:
Rough-and-tumble play, also called play fighting, is a form of play in which partners compete with one another to gain some advantage (e.g., strike, bite, push onto ground), but do so without the severity or consequences of serious fighting, which it resembles (Aldis, 1975). Play fighting is one of the most commonly reported forms of play (Pellis & Pellis, 1998), having some basic commonalities across most species that play, including humans (Pellis et al., 2010a). These include the insertion of co-operative behavior into sequences of playful competition that make play fighting reciprocal and so ‘fair’ (Bekoff, 2001). Given this prevalence and similarity across a wide swathe of species, most notably in birds and mammals, but also possibly in other vertebrate (e.g., some reptiles and fish) and invertebrate (e.g., some insects) lineages (Burghardt, 2005), play fighting is ideally suited for studying the brain mechanisms by which play is produced and how it has evolved (Pellis & Pellis, 2009). Although there are many studies of play fighting in a diverse range of species (Burghardt, 2005; Fagen, 1981), the most intensively studied species is the rat, especially its domesticated version suitable for laboratory research, and the knowledge gained from this model species has implications for our understanding of play in general (Pellis & Pellis, 2009).
I was trying to find the part that refers to parents playing with their children. Is there somewhere that is mentioned? The part I quoted just says partners but I could have missed it because articles that have smaller print are hard for me to see details.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
userguide (03-16-19)
Old 03-14-19, 01:50 AM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Then we could assume a similar rise in other illnesses - why would ADHD misdiagnosis be any special ? Yet ADHD rate is supposed to be dramatically higher - but maybe it isn't (fake news?)

What does it have to do with my ingenious theory ?

The number of youngest boys in the class has not changed for decades, has it ?
ADHD is still the diagnosis de jour for young boys, even though they may have
some other disorder, or none at all. They may be the youngest boys in class
and seem delayed or disordered compared to students who are several months
or a whole year older.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
userguide (03-16-19)
Old 03-16-19, 01:19 AM
Contributor

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I was trying to find the part that refers to parents playing with their children. Is there somewhere that is mentioned? The part I quoted just says partners but I could have missed it because articles that have smaller print are hard for me to see details.
Sorry Sara, I don't remember where I read it all - I usually google and read 5 different articles without remembering what was where.

I guess the one I was particularly interested in was about rats - so It must have been parents, not partners. Unless someone cared to replace bioogical fathers with other rats and call them partners but I don't think so

Quote:
ADHD is still the diagnosis de jour for young boys, even though they may have
some other disorder, or none at all. They may be the youngest boys in class
and seem delayed or disordered compared to students who are several months
or a whole year older.
If you say the rise in adhd dignosis for boys is unsubstanciated, and it's solely the doctors who throws adhd right and left, please paste this into a sticky thread in the children section and let me buy some popcorn
Old 03-16-19, 12:30 PM

Quote:

If you say the rise in adhd dignosis for boys is unsubstanciated, and it's solely the doctors who throws adhd right and left, please paste this into a sticky thread in the children section and let me buy some popcorn
Only the admins can make a thread into a sticky, I can't do that.

I did not say that it is "solely the doctors who throw adhd right and left".
I'm not going to debate something I did not say.

There are many reasons for misdiagnosis.
There are many reasons for the increase in adhd diagnosis.