ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 03-12-19, 07:15 PM

desertgirl is on a distinguished road
Advice for first meeting with psychiatrist?

Hi, everyone. I am very new here. This is my first post besides my "new member" post, so I guess I'll explain a bit of my background.

I've had ADHD symptoms since I was a child. I was that classic space cadet kid who was always daydreaming and forgetting her homework. My parents thought I probably had ADHD and even bought a couple parenting books on it, but never took me to get tested (they had good intentions; I won't go into it here). I struggled a ton in school, especially as I got older, but no diagnosis. I managed to get through.

Now I'm in college (nursing school). I kept waiting for things to improve...I think I subconsciously hoped I would "grow out of" my forgetfulness, inability to concentrate, difficulty paying attention in class, disorganization etc. But I am not even improving. I can't even focus during lectures.

So I'm seeking a diagnosis. My appointment is next Tuesday.

I'm just really nervous. I am fairly sure I do have ADHD, but I'm worried because what if it's just in my head, and I'm actually just really lazy and have no self-discipline?

Or what if I do have it and the psychiatrist misses it because I'm not really hyperactive and have always managed to do okay in school? (Even though I struggle a lot, I still usually pass my classes).

I don't explain things very well. I just want to be sure I communicate about everything with the psychiatrist. If anyone has any advice on what to do to prepare for my appointment, that would be great. If I just need to take a deep breath and chill out, that's cool too...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to desertgirl For This Useful Post:
Daniel1970 (03-14-19), namazu (03-12-19), soulsearcher (03-12-19)
Old 03-12-19, 10:52 PM

soulsearcher is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice for first meeting with psychiatrist?

Hello and welcome to the forum

I am also waiting for my psychiatrist appointment and I am thinking exactly the same as you regarding the appointment.

I was lucky my GP wrote a very good letter explaining things that I am was struggling with. so this helped me with the first assessment stage.

I do go into things into detail and want to tell my whole life story. I kept the psychiatric nurse 30 minutes over his time lol.

I am sure that these professionals can tell just by speaking to people and they might look for eye contact and things.

Just because you are not hyper doesn't mean you don't have ADHD i was the same I zoned out in class but I do get hyper as an adult.

I hope someone can help put your mind at rest but just thought I would say that you are not alone I wish you all of the best and hope everything goes well
Old 03-13-19, 05:10 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,911 Times in 15,257 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice for first meeting with psychiatrist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgirl View Post
Hi, everyone. I am very new here. This is my first post besides my "new member" post, so I guess I'll explain a bit of my background.

I've had ADHD symptoms since I was a child. I was that classic space cadet kid who was always daydreaming and forgetting her homework. My parents thought I probably had ADHD and even bought a couple parenting books on it, but never took me to get tested (they had good intentions; I won't go into it here). I struggled a ton in school, especially as I got older, but no diagnosis. I managed to get through.
One of the key issues with adhd is the impairment in childhood. Some people will report that everything was wonderful until college and that is not what adhd is. It is chronic and lifelong and without interventions it can make success very elusive.

Quote:
Now I'm in college (nursing school). I kept waiting for things to improve...I think I subconsciously hoped I would "grow out of" my forgetfulness, inability to concentrate, difficulty paying attention in class, disorganization etc. But I am not even improving. I can't even focus during lectures.
So I'm seeking a diagnosis. My appointment is next Tuesday.
In order to receive the best chance at diagnosis (assuming you have a good doctor) is to go to the appointment prepared. I would write a long list out of every type of impairment you have and how it affected school and what areas it affects now. Its very important that you do not google a list of symptoms and fit your life into those symptoms- honestly taking a look at how it has affected you and in what ways will ensure an accurate diagnosis. Another thing that can be helpful (but not required) is to have some of your school records from your childhood that reflect these issues. Maybe a teacher commented about your distractability or your inability to complete your work, maybe a teacher noted how you always talked during class-stuff like that. Its ok if you dont have that but it can help if you do.

Quote:
I'm just really nervous. I am fairly sure I do have ADHD, but I'm worried because what if it's just in my head, and I'm actually just really lazy and have no self-discipline?
well you know something isnt right so lets pretend its not adhd- you would still want a doctor's opinion to figure out what it is anyway.

Quote:
Or what if I do have it and the psychiatrist misses it because I'm not really hyperactive and have always managed to do okay in school? (Even though I struggle a lot, I still usually pass my classes).
adhd presents differently in girls so it will be helpful to be able to share that with the doctor. This is a decent article:
https://www.verywellmind.com/adhd-in...in-girls-20547

Quote:
I don't explain things very well. I just want to be sure I communicate about everything with the psychiatrist. If anyone has any advice on what to do to prepare for my appointment, that would be great. If I just need to take a deep breath and chill out, that's cool too...
Thats why i recommend writing everything down and go in prepared. The doctor will see how prepared you are and will know that you are serious about finding a solution. Best of Luck!

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-20-19), Daniel1970 (03-14-19), soulsearcher (03-21-19)
Sponsored Links