ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-05-18, 09:06 PM
Jr Member

mets91428 is on a distinguished road
Do you think 15 - 16 hours of coverage is reasonable?

I ask this question because I'd like to hear other peoples success story, if they were able to achieve this target of mine. My concern, as it currently stands, is that my doctor will be the type who likes to go by the book. I've heard horror stories of people who had doctors refuse to prescribe stimulants once they hit their max. When I was on Concerta before switching over to Adderall, I mentioned to her how I read from one source about the possibility a patient could be prescribed more than the DRD for stimulants. She said it's not unheard of.

If by chance she doesn't agree with my goal, does anyone know of a study showing that patients can be both safely and effectively covered during that time frame? Like many, I have really bad ADHD, (inattentive.) 10 hours isn't enough time for me; I agree with the premise that ADDers should be covered by medication for 14 - 16 hours. Is it really just a matter of what kind of doctor you have and their willingness to treat you, or are doctors today no less informed than the 90's?

Thanks for reading.
Old 11-05-18, 09:34 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,988 Times in 12,126 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you think 15 - 16 hours of coverage is reasonable?

The problem is that taking this med too late in your day can prevent you from
getting enough good deep sleep.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 11-05-18, 10:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,036 Times in 2,189 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

If you're up by 6am and still need to function at 9pm then 14 to 16 hours is reasonable because that's just your life. I had aj increase on that basis when I uses to take meds. Talk to your doctor. If you don't need them that late every day then just don't take the last dose.
Old 11-05-18, 11:36 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

Reasonable, yes. Attainable without maxing out side effects? Not in my experience.
Old 11-06-18, 12:57 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,434 Times in 15,027 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I am one of the people who needs a lot of coverage due to how early I wake up and what I do during the day. I also had a genetic test from my doctor that showed I am a fast metabolizer of meds. I take 20mg of xr adderall 3x a day and 1 20mg ir adderall 1 x a day for a total of 80 mg. I was at 60 for many years but that late day coverage is needed so thats why I have the instant release as a booster dose.

I carried a watermelon?