ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 11-06-18, 04:10 AM
Jr Member

Discord1984 is on a distinguished road
Taking days off meds and managing the crash

I find it useful in the long run to have about two med-free days per week. I choose days when i don't have any significant obligations and I usually just rest a lot and eat. It sort of resets my system and I feel ready for another productive week.

Does anyone else find this helpful

The long sleeps are great. But the over-eating and low mod are NOT. I honestly eat about twice my usual daily calories. I'm not overweight or anything and I'm very fit and healthy. But this binge eating just makes me feel really out of control and bad about myself.

Does anyone have any tips for controlling my appetite and generally easing the crash on those days off?
Old 11-06-18, 05:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,279 Times in 13,952 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Taking days off meds and managing the crash

I used to take the weekend off when I first started meds but found the crash, tiredness and mood swings on my days off too difficult to handle so I then took a reduced dose on the weekends (10mg of dexamphetamine instead of 25). This worked much better for me.

If that's not an option here are a few things that might help:

1. Hunger: sprinkle some ground flax seeds (ie linseeds) on your breakfast. It's very high in fibre and also has omega 3 and maybe proteins and I've found that it really keeps my hunger at bay for hours. You also don't feel tired or cranky. It tastes like powdered cardboard but it works wonders. It's best to start with small amounts of a table spoon and then work your way up to 2-3 table spoons. Just make sure that you drink plenty of water (to avoid constipation because of the extra fibre.). The omega 3 might also help your mood.

2. Try and structure your day as much as possible the day before and write it down. Even if it's just leasure or rest and relaxation activities. Yilou don't have to stick to the plan but The structure will help both with binge eating and sort of just lounging about and feeling lost and miserable (which for me is my biggest mood killer but ylmaybe it's not for you).

3. Exercise. As much as possible.

4. Drink plenty of water.

5. Avoid sugar. Med withdrawal and sugar crashes are not fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-07-18)
Old 11-06-18, 07:02 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,434 Times in 15,027 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I have never seen the point of taking days off. Some people say it helps with tolerance but there is no evidence that in the long run it affects tolerance. It might make them feel like they are working but thats just because you havent had them in a few days. The meds are prescribed for daily use and I know that for me, taking days off is practically hazardous and bad for my mood, energy and focus. Maybe its because I am severe with physical and mental hyperactivity but I think that because adhd is a chronic life long condition (for most) treating it everyday is no different then treating your blood pressure with meds everyday.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-07-18), tudorose (11-06-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-18, 10:33 AM

ShipwreckSiren is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I have never seen the point of taking days off. Some people say it helps with tolerance but there is no evidence that in the long run it affects tolerance. It might make them feel like they are working but thats just because you havent had them in a few days. The meds are prescribed for daily use and I know that for me, taking days off is practically hazardous and bad for my mood, energy and focus. Maybe its because I am severe with physical and mental hyperactivity but I think that because adhd is a chronic life long condition (for most) treating it everyday is no different then treating your blood pressure with meds everyday.
Not OP, but I've been wondering if taking weekends off is even worth it for me. Maybe every so often if the side effects make me too worn out, but if nothing else even just 2.5-5mg of IR would probably help me immensely on weekends. I really struggle and end up wasting the whole weekend away