ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-17, 11:10 PM
Contributor

john2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to behold
Get tasks done

So we know executive function is not working properly with many adhd people.

If someone tells me to do something and it is important , I'll do it.
-when I had roommates, I kept everything very organized , because it was a right thing to do . (their authority and accountability)
-When I was living alone, everything was a mess
-when I was doing a joint project with many tiny tasks, with someone physically around me, I was working almost as good as non-adhd ((their authority and accountability)
-when I was alone for a day, I tried to work, but I had nothing done, my productivity was 10% from day before.

Authority and accountability really worked miracles for me.

How could I replicate it without having someone physically around me?
thanks
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john2100 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (01-18-17), Jenn1202 (01-16-17), salleh (01-16-17)
Old 01-15-17, 11:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,436 Times in 12,713 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Get tasks done

I'm exactly the same. Accountability works wonders for me. Also if someone else depends on me tgat works as well.

At work I almost always managed to finish ny teaching tasks even if it was at 3am but I really struggled with research as no one depended on it.

I'm not sure how to reproduce it without there naturally being someone that you'd feel accountable to. Maybe if you give specific examples it might be easier to suggest something.

Would it be possible to rope in someone who you'd feel accountable to even if they aren't related to the task..like family or a friend?

Also sometimes for me just telling someone works (though not akways abd not to the same extent). Eg i sometimes post on addf the tasks im planning to do to for a little bit of feeling of accountability.
Old 01-16-17, 08:15 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,940 Times in 13,093 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Get a cute Bonobo monkey, wear him on your back in a suit...........
jk.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (01-16-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-17, 10:39 AM
Contributor

john2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to behold

I think I don't have adhd,,I have an executive function disorder. It may just be the same.

When someone else takes over executive function for me(metaforcially speaking), I really feel like I perform as good as non-adhd person.

I think that this has to be fixed first.
This is the reason why so many posts are actually the same, over and over again.
How to stay organized, how to initiate task, how to keep friends, goals etc.

All the people who have these problems, are keep failing and any plan set to solve it seems to fall apart in less then 2 weeks.

Tomorrow will be all different,,Ill do this and that ,,,,,,5 years later,,,tomorrow will be all different,,,,and so on

Am at a point , where I don't believe my executive function can be fixed or managed by will or therapy . After 15 yrs of trying to manage it and failing , I'm ready to admit that I can't managed it internally by will . I think that even will requires a working executive function.

I've search forum and most advice requires will to achieve your goal.
Advice like: use a planner,use task management software,use lists, just doesn't work.
You have to remember to do it ,

On the other hand, when my parents told me to organize my room I did it.
When someone asked me to help organize their filing system I did it.
I kept working with them for 15h straight to get it done.
When I was doing it for myself I took me 2 weeks, but actual work required was only 2 days at most, because of my constant distractions and basically forgetting that I'm doing something.

If I was a professional organizer, I would do it for 12h straight with no problems for a customer.

My executive function when dealing with customers or doing something for someone else that I really care about seems to work s fine.

When it is for me, with no supervision from someone else, I can't do it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john2100 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (01-18-17), finallyfound10 (01-16-17), salleh (01-16-17)
Old 01-16-17, 10:43 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2100 View Post
So we know executive function is not working properly with many adhd people.

If someone tells me to do something and it is important , I'll do it.
-when I had roommates, I kept everything very organized , because it was a right thing to do . (their authority and accountability)
-When I was living alone, everything was a mess
-when I was doing a joint project with many tiny tasks, with someone physically around me, I was working almost as good as non-adhd ((their authority and accountability)
-when I was alone for a day, I tried to work, but I had nothing done, my productivity was 10% from day before.

Authority and accountability really worked miracles for me.

How could I replicate it without having someone physically around me?
thanks
Just a check, any pleasure from completing tasks in a group or by self?

Could failure to meet deadlines (implicit/explicit) in the group cause you stress?
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
salleh (01-16-17)
Old 01-16-17, 11:04 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Just a check, any pleasure from completing tasks in a group or by self?
When I finish a task for myself (alone) after a lot of struggle, i feel 8/10 satisfaction
-the reason for that high satisfactions feeling is the energy required to do it, finally, after failing 10 times before.

When I finish a task in a group i feel no real satisfaction from completing the task. I don't wait for any praise or acknowledgment either . But I feel generally good in a group.

Quote:
Could failure to meet deadlines (implicit/explicit) in the group cause you stress?
I don't think deadlines are causing me stress. I would say real deadlines causing me to perform at much higher gear.When under tight important real deadline I can perform much much better then most non-adhd people who are NOT under any deadline.
Even working until 5am is not unusual for me, while being hungry and tired. (5x a year)
It actually feels good to work under real deadline for me. Even those that carry consequences.

The problem is that most of my projects are done at night and only by me,alone.
That is a struggle. I'm thinking of bringing someone in , but it is difficult.

Some projects don't carry any financial benefits for others or for me.
Some projects are personal , like self improvement.
Old 01-16-17, 11:33 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Was just kinda checking whether an apathy thing as opposed to an executive function. Looking back at some of the worst times, I know when an impending important deadline was likely to get missed, I suddenly had the ability to initiate and complete tasks and meet the deadline and temporarily feel like my old self. This was an apathy/lack of motivation thing for me.
Old 01-16-17, 05:57 PM

Thanked 8,346 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

Boy JOhn ! do I understand that problem to a T ......I used to struggle constantly to get myself motivated to get my work done .....

I am self-employed, and I do Shows ...( I make jewelry using vintage watch movements and dials) ....and the shows have dates ....so I often am working like a madwoman for the last 2 or 3 days before a big show to get everything ready and organized .... there's a massive amount to do to get ready for a show besides making the stuff ....it seems I am always working right up to the minute before I leave .....

As to making the jewelry, I love making it, and when I get new supplies in, a shipment of new watches to play with, or some exciting new findings to use....just the fun of putting together new ideas and materials see me through getting that done ....

and as I get more and more successful, I find myself getting better and better at taking care of business so to speak .....the financial part still makes me drag my feet ...whether keeping track of what I spent on materials, time, fees for shows, expenses in general, I have kind of floating around ...but I really need to put is all together ...haven't yet really done that ....

so I think perhaps what I am driving at here is that if you have something that you are passionate about, something that is important to your life, and you're getting successful at it, the executive function starts to operate .....

Just the ordinary day to day business of life holds no excitement, nothing but knowing you've kept the house clean, or got to the dentist on when you're supposed to ....is always going to be a difficult chore .....

I am typical ADHD .....it takes excitement to get me going .....either fear of consequences when I ignore stuff I am supposed to do ....or joy in creating somethings and finding that you're not only good at it, but other people are willing to pay you lots of money to get their hands on it ....

Find your passion, and things will get easier .....

I know just tossed that off ...."find your passion" .....like it's an easy thing to do .....it isn't...you really have to think about it ....and you have to be truthful to yourself about what it is that gives you a rush when you do it ....you can't think of what other expect of you, or something you think you should do .....

and you can't use the amount of time you have already put in to something you're doing .....many people spend years learning something and discover you don't really love it .....sad but true is the fact that you have to go back and find your true passion ....

Oh and I couldn't do anything if I didn't have medication .....but the meds don't help without having something under it that I love to do ....meds don't help me do something I really don't want to do ....struggling to do something like that is still monumental ....

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
Old 01-16-17, 06:10 PM
Contributor

Passion fades, and that is the problem. When I first organized my garage, there was a lot of passion to do it right. I spend a week doing it until midnight. Everything to the last bolt had its own place .

Now ,,,don't get me started...I start to clean , but I lose interest,soon , because it doesn't really has to get done,,,and there are more important things to do . So it never gets done. But when I started the very first time, I had more important things to do as well. It was a good time investment ,because it saved me a lot of frustration in the future . I know I should clean it because the system is already in place. But I have no excitement for it. No deadlines, no consequences.

I could imagine if I started a project where we had to use a garage, I would organize it .

Let say my friend would say : Let's restore a car,,,where? ...Well in your garage,,,,,
then am 100% sure I would get to clean the garage right away ,if I was really passionate about that project.
Old 01-16-17, 06:17 PM
Contributor

Why do you think treads that deal with executive function get so little attention or responses and are quickly abandoned, while a tread like advantages of ADHD gets 200 replies.

Isn't poor executive function the main cause of most of our problems?

How can we start working on depression,socialization and other skills if we abandon the process after a short time because our executive function is not functioning properly?

Am I wrong ? Is my assumption incorrect? Isn't executive function the most important thing that effects everything else?
Or people just don't have any real practical solutions?

deadlines, doing what you enjoy ...works if you have real deadline , but what about the rest of the time.?
The Following User Says Thank You to john2100 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (01-18-17)
Old 01-16-17, 07:38 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Jenn1202 will become famous soon enough

-When I had roommates, I did better at keeping things organized than I did when I was living alone. I tried really hard but I still failed .
-When I was living alone everything was a mess.
-when I was doing a joint project with many tiny tasks, with someone physically around me, I was trying to work as much as I could or at least pretend like I was working, but I often got things done slower than others or simply got distracted.
-when I was alone for a day, I tried to work, but I had nothing done, my productivity was 10% from day before (unless I was on meds or the tasks/assignments were due asap and I absolutely had to get them done).

Personally, I do better when there are people around me because I know how much they care about having a clean room or getting things done quickly and I don't want to waste their time or **** them off. Due to this, my brain processes these things as if I'm under a huge amount of pressure and everything must be done as soon as possible. As a result, I get things done almost as well as I would if someone pointed a gun to my head and made me do it. When I'm alone I don't feel this kind of pressure, so I get nothing done.

When I'm alone I often ask a friend to call me make me get things done. They'll call me to remind me to get started and make sure that I actually do. Then they call again a few minutes/hours later to make sure it got done. This strategy really helps me get things done.
Rx: 2007-2012: Ritalin LA 30, Ritalin IR 10 X 2; 2013: Daytrana 10; Jan-Jul 2014: Ritalin IR 10mg; Aug 2014: Adderall IR 5mg; Sep 2014: Dex IR 5mg (Barr/Mal); Nov 2015: Zenzedi 5mg; 2016: off meds; Current : Zenzedi 5mg
Dx: 2004: ADHD, 2012: Hyperthyroidism, medication-induced rapid heartbeat/palpitations; 2013: Hashimoto's, PVCs/PACs; 2014: Innocent heart murmur, 2016: Roemheld syndrome and the list goes on and on..

Last edited by Jenn1202; 01-16-17 at 08:02 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Jenn1202 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (01-18-17)
Old 01-16-17, 08:11 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Jenn1202 will become famous soon enough

Also, having people around makes boring tasks more interesting. Trying to get boring things done as an ADDer is nearly impossible, but you could try to find ways to get motivated by making boring chores more interesting.

When I'm alone I often ask a friend to call me make me get things done. They'll call me to remind me to get started and make sure that I actually do. Then they call again a few minutes/hours later to make sure it got done. This strategy really helps me get things done.

You could also try rewarding yourself for getting things done. It seems to work to some degree.

Another way to get yourself to do things is to find a creative way to MAKE THEM LESS BORING or simply have the TV on in the background. I absolutely can't get boring tasks done. I have to find a way to make them fun or interesting.
Rx: 2007-2012: Ritalin LA 30, Ritalin IR 10 X 2; 2013: Daytrana 10; Jan-Jul 2014: Ritalin IR 10mg; Aug 2014: Adderall IR 5mg; Sep 2014: Dex IR 5mg (Barr/Mal); Nov 2015: Zenzedi 5mg; 2016: off meds; Current : Zenzedi 5mg
Dx: 2004: ADHD, 2012: Hyperthyroidism, medication-induced rapid heartbeat/palpitations; 2013: Hashimoto's, PVCs/PACs; 2014: Innocent heart murmur, 2016: Roemheld syndrome and the list goes on and on..
Old 01-17-17, 08:24 AM
Contributor

thanks jenn, good ideas,
Old 01-17-17, 09:45 AM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2100 View Post
Why do you think treads that deal with executive function get so little attention or responses and are quickly abandoned, while a tread like advantages of ADHD gets 200 replies.

Isn't poor executive function the main cause of most of our problems?

How can we start working on depression,socialization and other skills if we abandon the process after a short time because our executive function is not functioning properly?

Am I wrong ? Is my assumption incorrect? Isn't executive function the most important thing that effects everything else?
Or people just don't have any real practical solutions?

deadlines, doing what you enjoy ...works if you have real deadline , but what about the rest of the time.?
Because the advantages of adhd are more controversial and most people like a good debate.

There aren't thst many who don't believe that executive functions are implicated in adhd so there's nothing to disagree with.

You are right though. It is a very important topic but it's also a topic that is inherently present or discussed in a lot of threads that don't explicitly mention executive function. When we are discussing different symptoms or impairments of adhd we are indirectly discussing executive functions.
Old 01-17-17, 09:49 AM

In the absence of a deadline what sometimes helps me is:

1. Make the task extremely easy (or break it down into extremely small and easy parts) so the effort to initiate the task is smaller

2. Make the task somehow a lot of fun or extremely interesting

Neither of these things are east to do with tasks that aren't inherently easy or fun or interesting.

I think the trick is to somehow make the task immediately rewarding. What I do with boring and mundane tasks like household chores is listen to youtube lectures on topics that I find fascinating. Doing that I actually started looking forward to doing the washing up or laundry because it gave me a chance to catch up with ny lectures.