ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-14-13, 04:24 PM
Jr Member

RaQuill is on a distinguished road
Adderall and weight loss

I was just diagnosed with ADHD and my doctor started me on Adderall IR 10 mg twice a day. I am about 40 lbs overweight and have been losing weight on my own so far. I was curious as to what kind of weight loss I can expect from starting adderall. I also wanted to know what about it causes the weight loss. I want to lose weight in a healthy way and that's why I'm concerned. Also, my doctor said after a month of introducing the drug to my system we will probably up the mg. So how fast should I expect to lose weight on 10 mg twice a day? Also, if I ever decide I want to try and manage without medication will my metabolism be worse than it was when I started? Should I be able to work out on the medication? And can I take natural weight loss supplements, such as green tea? I wouldn't want to take any weight loss medication, but I might want to add some type of natural metabolism booster. If so would that be alright? I know I should double check with my doctor before I do any of this but I wanted to get some sort of idea before I see her again.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-13, 04:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

Nachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to all
Re: Adderall and weight loss

Only increase the dosage if you find that your current one isn't working as well! And even then, before increasing, try taking a few days' break from the medication and make sure you're eating and sleeping well.

My doctor wanted to go up from 10mgx2 times a day, to 20mgx2 times a day and was surprised when I said I didn't really need it.

The weight loss is probably due to you eating less while on it; amphetamine is an appetite suppressant. If you're losing weight at, like, 1 pound a week, then don't worry about it. However, if you (unintentionally) starve yourself, you'll pack the weight back on really quickly once you start eating again.
Old 04-15-13, 03:44 AM
Jr Member

RaQuill is on a distinguished road

I haven't found that 10 mg does much for me so I'm comfortable with her upping the dosage. But she isn't the type of doctor that wants me to take them every day. She told me to make sure I take a couple of days off now and again.

Do you have any ideas if I might be able to take natural metabolism boosters while on it?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-13, 04:38 AM
ADDvanced Member

Nachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaQuill View Post
Do you have any ideas if I might be able to take natural metabolism boosters while on it?
I don't know really. You should ask her. I prefer not to 'take' things that affect my metabolism; exercise and sleep are plenty good enough for me!
Old 04-15-13, 06:12 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,218 Times in 14,325 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think adderall affects metabolisim but it does affect appetite which results in weight loss for some people. That effect usually levels off though.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 04-15-13, 03:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,147 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
but I might want to add some type of natural metabolism booster
Basically put, Adderall does affects the Central Nervous System, which controls metabolism-- either directly or indirectly-- by stimulating a branch of the CNS called the sympathetic nervous system. Stimulants can increase functioning of the CNS and are often called "sympathomimetics". Meaning they "mimic" functions of the sympathetic nervous system.

Definitely discuss any type of metabolic supplement with your doctor while taking a stimulant.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 04-15-13, 05:40 PM

cbassolympics is on a distinguished road

How do you combat the side-effect of weight loss? I didnt really notice I was losing weight until i stepped on a scale. I've lost close to 5-8 pounds this month alone.

I noticed that I dont have the desire to eat as often as I use to. When I do eat, its at a smaller portion compared to pre-medication. I also find sometimes that eating causes discomfort, or the feelings of being sick? In the beginning of November 2012, I was weighing 189 and started the popular "Juicing" or "Blending diet" and used it to replace breakfest. I began taking Adderall in the beginning of March and with a combination of the diet and medication im down to 165. I was use to be a heavy gym enthuasit, but because of; being a full-time student and part-time worker, I have less time to go to work-out. A majory of weight loss has been muscle mass (which I am ok with), but im more concerned about meeting mirco-nutrients needed to stay healthy. The Juicing/Blending, offers a large source of vitamins and minerals, but lacks calories. Anyone have experience with controlling weight loss? Or do these weight side-effects diminish, as in many cases with other adderall side-effects?
Old 04-15-13, 08:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

k1dj03y will become famous soon enough

I can only speak on my own experience, but in July of 2012 I weighed 217 lbs or was it 227. Nope Im sure it was 217 lbs now. That same month I finally started seeking treatment for my ADD. About 2 weeks into things I noticed my pants started to feel loose, so I added another notch to my belt and ignored it. 2 more weeks later, I needed to add another notch. . . repeated that a few times and finally my weight leveled out around December. Over that time kept weighing myself and was down to 188 lbs I believe.

I am still loosing weight myself, and just last week at my annual doctors appointment/checkup I was down to 181 lbs. But at the start I was beginning to worry thinking I wouldn't STOP loosing weight. But I have been at 181 for a month now and no longer worry.
Old 04-16-13, 10:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,460 Times in 582 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbassolympics View Post
How do you combat the side-effect of weight loss? I didnt really notice I was losing weight until i stepped on a scale. I've lost close to 5-8 pounds this month alone.
Did even the juices make you feel full or uncomfortable? I had a little stomach upset when I first started, but it wore off fairly quickly. What I did have to do, though, was set a timer on my cell phone. My old job was always busy, and I could easily forget to eat otherwise. So I kept a stash of small one-handed snacks at my desk - usually nuts or granola bars - and when the timer would go off, I'd grab a handful.

Keeping your diet controlled can be tricky when you first start Adderall. Whether you're gaining weight or losing it, the best thing to do is try to set yourself some guidelines or a schedule and use whatever tricks you can to stay on it.
Old 04-16-13, 01:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

k1dj03y will become famous soon enough

Yes. If you don't want to loose weight start a eating schedule. That is what I did when I began to level out. I now eat at 6am 1030 am and 5pm even if I'm not hungry. Bucks use I know my body NEEDS the food. Even if my mind says I don't.