ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-12-13, 03:45 AM
ADDvanced Member

kolaborator will become famous soon enough
Re: Face to Face: Adderall and Cortisol?

First of all, welcome to the forums Kanie12.

While I agree that higher-than-average levels of cortisol may result in weight gain and loss of muscle mass, I still am not convinced why it could occur from the use of stimulants alone, and there must always be other factors also in play.

1.Yes, amphetamine-based stimulants do put our bodies in a "fight or flight" state, and an increase in the level of cortisol can be brought on by this reaction, but this response is not limited to Adderall or other Sch. II stimulants but is also brought on by the widely-consumed caffeine.

2. Stimulant - typically caffeine-based which has a list of side-effects longer than Adderall - are widely consumed by bodybuilders and other fitness professionals. Many fat-burners used for pre-competition cutting contain caffeine, and amphetamine based stimulants are considered the Holy Grail of substances you can take to quickly reduce your fat levels.

However, Adderall - as well as many other stronger stimulants - can affect your levels of testosterone. I do not know if it is the Adderall that lowers your testosterone directly, or your testosterone drops as a result of your Adderall-driven behavior, but it certainly does happen. Personally, I feel like it comes at you from nowhere and if I take a 3-5 day break from working out, Adderall will take away my desire to return to it. After about three weeks to a month I will notice my body feeling a bit weaker and slightly more sluggish, my sex drive will be lower, and overall I will start feeling more anxious about random things.

IMO, I do not think it is the Adderall itself that causes the drop in testosterone in any way, but I do believe it somehow speeds up the change and I'm sure there are other contributing factors as well.
Old 04-12-13, 04:43 AM
Contributor

immabum is a glorious beacon of lightimmabum is a glorious beacon of lightimmabum is a glorious beacon of lightimmabum is a glorious beacon of lightimmabum is a glorious beacon of lightimmabum is a glorious beacon of light

Increased cortisol -> decreased growth hormone. Might want to read into that.
Old 04-12-13, 05:10 AM
ADDvanced Member

kolaborator will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by immabum View Post
Increased cortisol -> decreased growth hormone. Might want to read into that.
I still don't get it. I understand the connection between cortisol and [insert negative effect] but not between adderall and cortisol...at least not in terms that would overshadow its actual physical benefits when doing cardio or weightlifting.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-13, 02:15 PM
Contributor

immabum is a glorious beacon of lightimmabum is a glorious beacon of lightimmabum is a glorious beacon of lightimmabum is a glorious beacon of lightimmabum is a glorious beacon of lightimmabum is a glorious beacon of light

Well I think it's an interplay of mental and physiological factors. If you respond to Adderall with increased anxiety,stress -then your cortisol levels are going to rise. Not everyone gets anxious on Adderall tho.
Physiologically, you have increased 'fight/flight/' neurotransmitters being released. This increased arousal makes us more alert, vasoconstricts our peripheral blood vessels, raises hr,bp etc. This also coincides with a rise in cortisol levels.

Oh and it just occurred to me that cortisol levels are highest in the morning....which is the time we tend to take this meds. Sorry did I go off on a tangent?

I think if your cortisol levels are too high, you are going to have problems losing that 'last 5 pounds' or have problems bulking up as easily (growth hormone).

I think these situations arise from really high levels of cortisol tho. Oh were you thinking of NOT working out because of Adderals effect on cortisol? I would probably be more worried about cardiovascular risk if anything...not the cortisol.

Last edited by immabum; 04-12-13 at 02:27 PM..
Old 04-16-13, 10:05 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

boy oh boy.....please understand one thing...cortisol does NOT cause stress...its a hormone triggered in RESPONSE to stress to help you survive....cortisol is the one and ONLY hormone which you cannot live without

stress is caused by ton of factors...when your brain perceives stress the hypothalamus signals the pituitary gland to release ACTH which tell your adrenal glands to crank up cortisol production to primarily increase glucocorticoid synthesis, give you energy and mobilize you for the threat...

Adderall can increase the perception of stress by increased in NE, which can trigger all the downstream signaling aforementioned....you will be in a world of misery if you cannot increase your cortisol levels...just do some searching on Addissons desease and see, death is even possible....
Old 04-16-13, 06:50 PM
Contributor

Agreed. Otherwise we would all just wake up, freak out and go back to sleep
I do wonder if there is an overall increase in basal cortisol levels with Adderall...which would be akin to chronic stress.
Funny how powerful perceptions/attributions can be. Eustress/distress seems to be such a fine line...with powerful repercussions. I can see how Adderall could exacerbate ones anxiety and leading to chronic distress. Conversely, it could energize a ADHD-PI, reduce their self perceived 'blah' state and turn other stressors into a 'good' stress. Both situations would have different cortisol responses. Brains are funny things