ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 08-31-11, 02:41 PM
Jr Member

ToastedBunny is on a distinguished road
Exclamation From Adderall to Ritalin

Okay, I've posted on these forums before.. but that was mostly about my addiction to Adderall that is over now. I finally found a perfect medium of Adderall Instant Release (IR) to take daily, 20mg 3 times a day. For me, this is the amount I work best on and I seem to have no issues. Yes, I crash at night.. but it only really lasts for about an hour, then I feel normal.

But guess what? :| My practitioner's office isn't prescribing specific medications anymore, and one of them is.. Adderall. This was supposed to take effect on December 31st of this year, 2011. But my nurse practitioner has decided to switch me over now.. to Ritalin. I finally found my desired Adderall dosage that I thought worked perfect for me. It gave me just the right amount of motivation, without making me an insomniac. She said Adderall Instant Release is being discontinued due to people selling them on the streets too much, or something.. and being laced with cocaine. I don't know exactly, but it sounds like BS to me.

Anyway, so the only other options I could go with is to take Adderall Extended Release (XR) at 30mg, once a day or to switch to Ritalin. Well, I've been through the Adderall XR route about 3 times already in the past. It helps, but only for a very limited amount of time during the day, and when I take it at first, it makes me incredibly tired and bloated. So I told her that I guess I'd try Ritalin IR 20mg, 3 times a day... just like my normal Adderall dosage. Well, I've been on this dose since this last Sunday, and I can already tell it isn't anywhere NEAR as good as Adderall IR. First of all, it's a different chemical compound, methylphenidate mix, while Adderall is an amphetamine mix. I read where Ritalin blocks the reuptake of dopamine, meanwhile Adderall blocks it AND pushes out dopamine. Clearly, this is where and why Adderall works better for me.

She apparently can't give me 30mg of Adderall XR, with another 20mg of Adderall XR later in the day. I've read numerous posts where patients have had to take this amount in order for it to work for them. Is my practitioner just being stubborn about it? She knows I work best on Adderall IR 20mg 3x a day. I don't get it. Does anyone know why or even if Adderall IR is being discontinued. I went to a local walgreens and asked about Adderall IR, they said they are on backorder for the 20mg of IR, but that they have every other mg in stock. What's going on?

I live in South Florida, in case anyone wants to know. Ritalin doesn't agree with my stomach either, especially in the evening.. I start feeling nauseated and my anxiety increases significantly. I also get tired around 6pm.. where when I was on Adderall, it wasn't until 12am, I would get tired. :/ This just really sucks, ya know? I think I might have to find a different practitioner if Adderall IR really isn't being discontinued. Did they get their information wrong? I was finally starting to feel like a normal person again.. and I was motivated. Ritalin's motivational levels only last maybe for a good hour, then when I try to sit up and do things I start feeling restless and sick.. making me want to lay down. And even then I still feel restless!

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, I am completely clueless as to what to do. I have another appointment with my practitioner tomorrow, I'm going to tell her what's going on with the Ritalin. I still think there should be an allowance for me to be able to be prescribed 30mg of Adderall XR in the morning, then another 20mg of XR in the afternoon. But why won't she just do this? FWSFGERDGESDGED BLAH.
Old 08-31-11, 03:16 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,148 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: From Adderall to Ritalin

Why is the nurse practitioner not going to prescribe Adderall IR anymore? Is there a specific reason for this? Is it just that particular nurse practitioner or all physicians/practitioners in that practice that are not prescribing anymore?

Personally, I'd find a new doc who understands ADHD and how to treat it. There are several people here who do well with IR and not so well with XR for whatever reason.

If I understand correctly, Adderall is stronger than Ritalin. There isn't an effective, accurate way to convert dosage amounts since they are two different chemicals, but it would take about twice the dose of ritalin to equal (as close as possible) your Adderall dose.

If you are taking 30 XR, you are only getting 15mg IR twice a day and 10mg IR twice a day with 20mg XR. So taking a 30mg XR and a 20mg XR would still be putting you below what you are are used to taking with IR each day. That can make a difference in how you do on the XR also.

I'd definitely find another doc and go from there. Sorry. I know this sucks

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 08-31-11, 06:12 PM
Jr Member

ToastedBunny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
Why is the nurse practitioner not going to prescribe Adderall IR anymore? Is there a specific reason for this? Is it just that particular nurse practitioner or all physicians/practitioners in that practice that are not prescribing anymore?

There were just printed out papers scattered in the lobby and posted on the wall/vending machines saying that the whole practice will not be writing prescriptions for Xanax, Adderall, Dextroamphetamines, and another med I forgot. They didn't say why.. all I remember is just the date December 31st and WILL NOT be prescribing the following medications. It's so hard to switch to another practitioner, they are all booked up for several months it's ridiculous. :| If Adderall IR is being discontinued, I would like to know from a trusted source.. not just from my practitioner's office. But I have no idea how to find out the truth myself. And what if they are wrong? How do I prove to them that Adderall IR isn't being discontinued? I've been going to this practitioner for almost 4 years now, and she hasn't really given me any problems before. I also don't understand why she can't prescribe me more than 30mg Adderall XR a day. They said my insurance company wouldn't allow it, when I'm pretty sure they don't give two craps..

All I really want to know is.. is Adderall IR REALLY being discontinued? Why can't I find any information regarding this?! Why's it sooo hard. >:O
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-11, 09:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

Xande86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastedBunny View Post
All I really want to know is.. is Adderall IR REALLY being discontinued? Why can't I find any information regarding this?! Why's it sooo hard. >:O
Don't think it's being discontinued, as someone most likely would have posted this info in the "adderall" forum, after being told by their pdoc.

I got IR prescribed two weeks ago.

I would def look for another nurse practitioner or pdoc. Good luck!
Old 10-09-11, 04:05 AM

Galactica75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastedBunny View Post
There were just printed out papers scattered in the lobby and posted on the wall/vending machines saying that the whole practice will not be writing prescriptions for Xanax, Adderall, Dextroamphetamines, and another med I forgot. They didn't say why.. all I remember is just the date December 31st and WILL NOT be prescribing the following medications. It's so hard to switch to another practitioner, they are all booked up for several months it's ridiculous. :| If Adderall IR is being discontinued, I would like to know from a trusted source.. not just from my practitioner's office. But I have no idea how to find out the truth myself. And what if they are wrong? How do I prove to them that Adderall IR isn't being discontinued? I've been going to this practitioner for almost 4 years now, and she hasn't really given me any problems before. I also don't understand why she can't prescribe me more than 30mg Adderall XR a day. They said my insurance company wouldn't allow it, when I'm pretty sure they don't give two craps..

This is probably why they are stopping those prescriptions. http://current.com/shows/vanguard/91...in-express.htm

Florida has been cracking down hard on pain clinics and medical professionals that recklessly prescribe pain and stimulant meds.
Old 10-09-11, 09:34 AM
ADDvanced Member

Kimmy1 is on a distinguished road

I hate it when this kind of thing happens.
It comes and goes around here, but the problem is that everyone OVERREACTS!
Instant release meds are esier to abuse and they are going to be the fist thing blacklisted.
Nothing frustrates me as much as the authorities having knee-jerk reactions to the point where law-abiding patients that have a GENUINE MEDICAL NEED for a controoled substance end up being denied medication.
Nobody dislikes the doctor-shoppers and drug dealers anymore than I do for the simple reason that EVERYONE suffers because of the actions of a few!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimmy1 For This Useful Post:
jnlmhny (05-10-12)
Old 11-07-11, 12:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

BalanceisKey is on a distinguished road

i feel for you man. I personally take 2x30mg xr a day and my insurance covers it