ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Eating Disorders/Weight Issues/Body Image
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-17, 12:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,899 Times in 13,806 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do I stop binge eating and eating crap??

Psycho and Sarah thanks for understanding. Yes somehow just stopping never worked for me. Maybe it means that I don't want it enough but I can't just resign to eating myself to death just because somehow on some level it hasn't sunk in that that is what I'm doing.

I guess this is why it takes for lots of people a really serious health scare to finally make a change..I'd like to avoid getting to that stage. (If I can...if it isn't too late already. Haven't had a general check up since 2014 when I was in the pink of health).

So I need to help tò stop. I want to stop and I can't wait till I want it 'enough'. I need to stop now. So that's what I'm asking advice for. Given that my motivation and will power possibly isn't good enough what else can I do?

I mean I'm looking for Practical advice like e.g. not buying junk or drinking water. Maybe there is something that I haven't tried yet.

I read yesterday to wait for 10 min to see if the craving will pass. I've tried that today ajd it worked earlier as in those 10 min I get busy with something else. But now I've come home and I'm tired and starving and junk requires the least effort.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-30-17), psychopathetic (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 12:33 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Dex really helped me with this in the last few years but I can't wait till I start taking dex again. Who knows when that will be..
aeon (08-30-17), psychopathetic (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 01:25 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,763 Times in 7,357 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

You know...now that you mention it...I think the lack of my meds (adderall or dex) maybe making a lot of things more difficult...including this. Just a hunch...they seem to do so much for me.

And to add on to your taking a 10 minute walk...
I just recently read somewhere that food cravings last no longer than 10 minutes.
I don't know if you're like me...but sometimes when I start thinking about food...I OBSESS over it. Like I can spend long periods of time sitting there thinking about all the delicious junk I could be eating. Then I start to figure out ways to either make it (if I have anything in my apartment, which isn't likely lately)...or how about going out to get it at a fast food place.
But if I can just distract myself for 10 minutes, those intense longings/cravings/desires should pass.

But it's all about distractions. I can't just sit there letting myself think about the food (or I'll sit there for hours till I'm craving junk food BAD)...I have to do something to stop the thoughts (like taking your walk).

It just reminds me when I was in the starting few months of my quit from smoking. How I'd have cravings a LOT and if I'm focus on the cravings, they'd only get worse and worse and would seem to last all freaking day.
But if I found a way to distract myself...those cravings only really lasted a few minutes.

It was a LOT easier for me to handle a bunch of small, short lasting craves...then it would've been to deal with a constant powerful crave.
1 crave at a time.

Quitting smoking freed up a ton of time too. And cutting back on eating would do the same. I'd spend less time thinking about it, and less time doing it...so maybe thinking of new hobbies, or picking up old hobbies might be something to think about.
Painting? Collecting things (rocks or marbles maybe)? Or maybe you can start collecting board games to play with your husband a couple of times a week. That gives you something you can do a lot of research on (which games to get), can be time consuming, and will give you something much more enjoyable to spend your money on . Think of games a bit deeper than your run of the mill game...think less monopoly, uno or life, and more things like Pandemic, Ticket To Ride, Forbidden Island or King Of Tokyo.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-30-17), Fuzzy12 (08-30-17), stef (08-30-17), Unmanagable (08-30-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-17, 01:41 PM

psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Also, some of the ways I kept myself distracted early on in my quit...were doing as you're trying...walking (haha I'd just walk paces back and forth through my living room/kitchen instead of taking walks outside)...

But the biggest thing that helped me get through, was finding some forums with other people who were quitting. There was TONS of people at the site I was a part of (www.quitnet.com /sigh, they've made SO many changes to the site over they years. It's nothing like it use to be /sadface)...many who had hundreds and even thousands of days smoke free under their belts...and they were amazing because they all believed in me! They cheered me on...they didn't look at me as a statistic that was very likely not going to be able to hold onto my quit...but as an individual. And there was TONS of people with quit dates right around mine...and they were amazing to cheer for and it was a blast to interact with them day after day knowing we were in the thick of things TOGETHER and not at all alone. And then as time went on, more and more people signed up and it made my own quit SO much stronger as I supported others in theirs.

I'd spend hours upon hours on the days I could or needed to on these forums. Starting threads asking for help cause I was craving so bad, or cheering others on, or celebrating someone's anniversary with them.

So maybe that's another idea. I don't have any off the top of my head...but maybe try and find a support group to join on this journey. Why go it alone when you don't have to? There's SO much strength in numbers when it comes to stuff like this. Getting and giving support can do wonders for your motivation when things get tough.
It could be an online forum...but it doesn't have to be. It'd be great if you could find others in real life too! A friend or someone to start going to the gym with or something?

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-30-17), Fuzzy12 (08-30-17), stef (08-30-17), Unmanagable (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
But what don’t I get, I wonder?
How to come across as less condescending (and not just here, and not just to me)...IMHO (In My Humble Opinion).

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-30-17), Fuzzy12 (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 01:46 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,978 Times in 14,785 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Fuzzy- If your husband wont stop buying junk thats a problem. You need things to change and he is sabatoging or enabling you. You have the right to tell him that the junk has to stay out of the house-no questions. My husband learned out to stop buying alcohol for the house. He might get it on a night out but never in the house. He loves me and knows it would sabatoge my sobriety. Does your husband understand your struggles and desire to stop them?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-30-17), Fuzzy12 (08-30-17), psychopathetic (08-30-17), stef (08-30-17), Unmanagable (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 02:12 PM

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
How to come across as less condescending (and not just here, and not just to me)...IMHO (In My Humble Opinion).
Yet, I never condescended to anyone here, much less yourself.

I’m no better than you, yet you seem to think I think that I am.

Please reread what I actually said.

Or forget it...that’s your opinion, after all. I’m glad you shared it regardless.

Thanks,
Ian
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (08-30-17), Little Missy (08-30-17), psychopathetic (08-30-17), stef (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 06:35 PM

Thanked 11,251 Times in 5,495 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
It's been a year now and I really need to stop. I've put on so much weight that my feet hurt when walking. I'm really starting to worry about diabetes and other health problems. I need to get a hold on my eating but nothing seems to be working.

I used to binge when I was depressed or had other negative emotions but now I'm fine but still can't stop eating. I'm tired and don't get much sleep but even that doesn't explain the huge amount of food I eat.

It has to stop. But how???

(Please keep in mind that I've got no will power....)

(Ive also got no time and very little energy)
just an uneducated shot at help

have you had medical work

overeating can have medical causes

-some inherited disorders , even the same ones that can cause ADHD (turners syndrome for example

-metabolic disorders

-gluten syndrome

-digestive disorders

and others

somatic symptoms

you said "I used to binge when I was depressed or had other negative emotions but now I'm fine but still can't stop eating"

could be you're not fine, but now you're killing emotions with food

or like Ian says, could just be food brings you pleasure and need to just stop

(says the guy who has told himself that about cigarettes everyday for ten years)

complex i know

personally i wish i was just rich, i'd have a trainer , a chef, a guy who beat me when i went for a cigarette and an enormous land for dogs
aeon (08-30-17), Fuzzy12 (08-30-17), Little Missy (08-30-17), psychopathetic (08-30-17), stef (08-31-17), Unmanagable (08-30-17)
Old 08-30-17, 06:46 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,791 Times in 8,902 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

One thing that helps me fight cravings off is to drink warm lemon/ginger water instead. If I want it sweet, I add a little maple syrup. Roasted dandelion root tea is good, too, with a little maple syrup, or honey if you prefer. It's almost coffee-like in flavor.

I cut a lemon wedge into quarters, slice off a few pieces of fresh ginger and wedge them, too, and pour hot (doesn't have to be boiling) water over it and let it steep a little like I do my other herbal blends. I think it helps partly because it requires a routine/ritual that distracts, like you and psych were talking about, as well as the soothing warmth.

As sarah mentioned, you're gonna have to get your hubby on board or it's going to be damn near impossible, from my experience. My husband still eats what he wants, mostly away from home for certain things, but has also cleaned his diet up a great deal after seeing how it benefited me, and is also enjoying the benefits for himself.

He doesn't cook or stock the stuff he knows triggers me and he makes his coffee out in the garage now so the smell leaves quicker. If he wants meat, he grills it outdoors or he cooks stuff on the camp stove outside if he knows it'll bother me. If he requires the oven to cook something, I just prepare something else that will drown that smell out to cook right after he finishes so I don't have to smell it any longer. That's how I handle it when I house/kid/fur baby sit for others, too.

It took a long while for my senses to acclimate to my new lifestyle in order not to be so highly triggered by the least little thing. He still keeps a few things around that I used to devour like a mofo, like cheese, but I have no desire for it any longer, so it doesn't bother me to see that. That first transition period was a b****, and so was I. lol

He usually reserves those types of foods for when he's eating breakfast/lunch at work, if we're dining out (which I'm okay with since I'll be surrounded by it all anyway), or when I'm elsewhere at meal time. He has a stash of snack things I'm unaware of and don't wish to know, or else I'll be tapping into it sooner or later.

It's not easy to do, by any stretch of the imagination. Even once you get it down pat at home, you still have to deal with venturing out into public and into other homes that don't choose the cleaner versions, so there's always a challenge you have to be prepared for. I keep a cooler with me when I know I'll be out more than an hour, or when I'm going somewhere that doesn't serve anything I eat.

Tell him you and fuzzling would rather have him around a lot longer than his health may allow if he keeps eating all that junk. Watch documentaries together about the state of our health and the food system. Share facts with him along with feelings. However you choose to do it, love yourselves through it and slowly introduce healthier options that you truly enjoy rather than making it a bone of contention, or making it feel like a dreaded chore, or it'll make you both miserable.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-30-17), daveddd (08-30-17), Fuzzy12 (08-30-17), psychopathetic (08-30-17), stef (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 03:49 AM

I have to do something. I just got up and I'm barely able to walk.
aeon (08-31-17), psychopathetic (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 04:07 AM

Quote:
I have to do something. I just got up and I'm barely able to walk.
(((((((Fuzz Fuzz)))))))

Yeah, I'm starting to come to the slow realization that I'mma have to take some action here soon too. Maybe we can help each other a bit as we go.

This coming week I plan on eating less at fast food joints. Thinking maybe I can cut it down to just once or twice a week this coming month. I know that's still way too much, but dang...it's better than every day (and sometimes twice in 1 day!).

Have you hit the point where you have a difficult time breathing while laying down too like I have? That part scares me.

Do you have any ideas set in place yet? Or are you still just trying to grasp the reality of it all still? lol...what an odd question that is .

I kinda wonder if I'm doing this on purpose. And I kinda sorta full well know the answer is yes...of course I am...but I'm just not up to dealing with things right now lol.
It's like I'm trying to eat myself into my own grave. I was ready to give up on life many years ago, and I'm slowly sliding back to that...the loss of a spark. Hope.
Sorry to get so dark there xP

Also, when do you see your pill doc again? It'd be great if you could get back on adderall sooner rather than later! I know it does so much for you!
Maybe that's something we could commit to with each other...getting back on our meds. Being put back on my mood stabilizers (for bipolar depression) would do SO much for me right now. But I've been saying I'm going to set up an appointment with my pill doc for weeks now haha...just one of those damned things I'm having a tough time actually doing (...there's an awful lot of those things in my life lately. /grrrr)

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-31-17), Fuzzy12 (08-31-17), stef (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 04:08 AM

Psycho you are right. I need to treat this is an addiction. I wish I could quit cold turkey but how do you quit food?? Just bringing it down to healthy levels so much more complicated.

Unsi, love to the idea of having tea instead of sugar. I'll try that.

I think a lot of the time I eat either out of habit or because I'm genuinely tired. I'm still breastfeeding so I'm trying to not have too much caffeine. What else could I do for energy?
aeon (08-31-17), stef (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
(((((((Fuzz Fuzz)))))))

Yeah, I'm starting to come to the slow realization that I'mma have to take some action here soon too. Maybe we can help each other a bit as we go.

This coming week I plan on eating less at fast food joints. Thinking maybe I can cut it down to just once or twice a week this coming month. I know that's still way too much, but dang...it's better than every day (and sometimes twice in 1 day!).

Have you hit the point where you have a difficult time breathing while laying down too like I have? That part scares me.

Do you have any ideas set in place yet? Or are you still just trying to grasp the reality of it all still? lol...what an odd question that is .

I kinda wonder if I'm doing this on purpose. And I kinda sorta full well know the answer is yes...of course I am...but I'm just not up to dealing with things right now lol.
It's like I'm trying to eat myself into my own grave. I was ready to give up on life many years ago, and I'm slowly sliding back to that...the loss of a spark. Hope.
Sorry to get so dark there xP

Also, when do you see your pill doc again? It'd be great if you could get back on adderall sooner rather than later! I know it does so much for you!
Pdoc no idea. Haven't seen them in 2 years now or so. I'll try and make an appintment when I want to get back on meds

OK, you cut down on fast food and I'll cut down on sweets this week including see drinks. I never have anything sweet to drink but we've had 2 parties recently and lots of coke and lemonade left over...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-31-17), psychopathetic (08-31-17), stef (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Psycho you are right. I need to treat this is an addiction. I wish I could quit cold turkey but how do you quit food?? Just bringing it down to healthy levels so much more complicated.
Yeah...you can't! And so in a LOT of ways I think quitting smoking is a lot easier to quit for certain people (maybe everyone?) then working on their food issues.
Quitting smoking was/is so black and white for me. I either smoke or I don't. I'm either active, or I'm quit. I do or I don't.
Thing is...is I'm able to avoid it. It makes it SO much easier when it's not right there in front of me every day.
I can't just avoid food. Holy heck how I wish I could! Just choose not to eat for a week or 2...grind my way through the hunger and craves a day at a time like I was able to do with my quit.
But yeah it's not that simple at all. I'm eventually going to HAVE to eat...I can't just keep avoiding it.

It's easier with smoking cause I can avoid them...I can avoid the temptations. I can't do the same with food. And just eating a small portion of something to try and 'get by' often just doesn't cut it. It leads me to obsessing on how I want more, which leads me to binging.

It's really freaking tough. I hear you on that!

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
stef (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 04:27 AM

Quote:
OK, you cut down on fast food and I'll cut down on sweets this week including see drinks. I never have anything sweet to drink but we've had 2 parties recently and lots of coke and lemonade left over...
It's a deal, and I'm very serious about that .

I don't want to get super strict (or I'll just quit like I always do) and say which days I can or can not eat out)...but I do commit to just doing so twice this coming up week. I think that's fair for me at this stage. I CRAVE fast food (especially taco bell). Twice still lets me indulge myself a bit. 3 times would be too much. 1 time would be unrealistic and I don't think I'd follow through (though certainly if I plan on working on this eating stuff long term, I'd like to cut fast food down to just like 1 or 2 times a MONTH eventually).

I plan on going grocery shopping too. That's a big problem I have right now too...I just don't have anything to eat in my apartment/at my dad's...and it's WAY easier to just go to taco bell or whatever, then it is to walk up and down a store picking out groceries.

Thank you Fuzz Fuzz

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-31-17), Fuzzy12 (08-31-17), stef (08-31-17)