ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 06-03-13, 03:05 PM
Contributor

courier is just really nicecourier is just really nicecourier is just really nicecourier is just really nice
Re: Do you have and ride a Motorcycle?

is a long time ago since i was riding a motor cycle, or should i say trying to ride it. i came off it once or twice, stupid stuff like stopping at traffic light putting my foot on the floor, open demin bottoms catch the kickstart peddle, bike down on top of me with leg trapped , i was still only 16 when i got into a car and was driving it within 20 minutes all by myself, never had a minutes lesson in my life.
Old 06-03-13, 03:07 PM
Contributor

Meagan has a spectacular aura aboutMeagan has a spectacular aura about

Sicunder, that sounds terrible.

It is nothing like my personal experience as a "real untreated severe adhd."

Reading through this thread, it's clear that ADHDers can become safe and responsible motorcyclists.
The Following User Says Thank You to Meagan For This Useful Post:
sicunder (06-03-13)
Old 06-03-13, 03:30 PM
Contributor

Courier, if you want to ride again, you should take a class. They provide bikes and helmet , and it's a lot of fun.

You can find a class near you through the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's website: msf-usa.org
The Following User Says Thank You to Meagan For This Useful Post:
sicunder (06-03-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-13, 04:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,475 Times in 6,074 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Friend of mine stunts dont know if he has add or not.I rather be safe and keep the rubber side down.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
sicunder (06-03-13)
Old 06-03-13, 05:43 PM
Jr Member

sicunder is on a distinguished road

thanks,meagan

i do ride safely now- from abyssymaly slow speeds enjoying the nature when in good mood.

to driving angry and risky- when my patience wears out.

but i am a strict stickler to traffic rules- very strict- infact i wanna mash up vehicles of those when i see somebody driving in a illegal way or just plain idiotically(no derth of those in india). some ***** need disciplining. they remind me of that lorry driver- who hit me while driving on the wrong side. i am an angry guy but not violent and abusive. wrongdoings -make me angry as hell. i never get into fights though- i do voice for the less bold people but it's mostly debate not a fight.

in good moods i always maintain my distance from near by vehicles wether i am fast or slow. that's my basic safety. i a have a good control and know my limits. but some times there's somebody else in me. that was the only single accident.
The Following User Says Thank You to sicunder For This Useful Post:
Meagan (06-07-13)
Old 06-07-13, 01:53 PM
Contributor

Motorcycle safety brings out my bossy side. I need to keep a lid on that while somehow saving everyone, lol.
sicunder (06-13-13)
Old 06-13-13, 02:16 PM
Jr Member

sicunder is on a distinguished road

and i forgot to mention i hate driving/biking- requires so much attention. i prefer giving keys to others and just relax. driving feels like an utter waste of time- feels like i am loosing my life and getting old- when i could be doing anything, though not necessarily useful but fun. it's like a mobile waiting room- in which you can not relax- 2 wheelers are worse.

i am totally up for teleportation in case it becomes available.
Old 07-30-13, 09:22 PM

crfjohn450 is on a distinguished road

I like so many here find riding therapeutic, the focus I find while riding is elusive elsewhere in my life. I love the speed and challenge of riding close to my limit, I have gone to "Class" riding school twice, MSF and Total Control rider training. The street has its own set of challenges, but the track is where the limit of control can be tested safely.

I didnt get my first street bike until I was 45 years old, I felt I wouldnt survive my impulsive youth. I now have 2 BMWs a K1200GT and my R1200S I like the GT but am in love with the RS it handles like it has ESP and all of the power I can use. I cannot comprehend the pleasure of "cruising" I would prefer to be in the car. To me riding is a mental and physical test that gives me relief from my constant internal distractions but to achieve that state requires riding at a spirited pace. I am always in full gear when riding, no matter the weather, in my mind that gives me a chance of surviving in case of a spill. Not really sure why since I have spent alot of my life wishing I did not exist.
The Following User Says Thank You to crfjohn450 For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (11-15-13)
Old 07-31-13, 12:47 AM
Forum Guru

MX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud of

Got my first bike in my 20s, a Yamaha 100, later moved up to a Honda 250...had that for several years.

As others have noted, riding a bike forces you to focus. I was undiagnosed but I was vigilant when I rode because I knew car/truck/van drivers probably could not see me. It's hard to explain but without the false sense of security of the metal casing of a car, you are driving with every sense aware of your surroundings and your vulnerability. I drove very defensively but I also rode year round in all four seasons, so it was a challenge.

Got a Suzuki 450 later but sold it to my brother, it was a bit much for me. As the years went by, I felt that riding a motorcycle in my area was getting too dangerous. When I lived in a small town, later in life, I got a Honda 80, a little scooter and I loved it. But, I pretty much stayed in town. The main roads were difficult to drive with a car, riding a bike was dangerous.

I do miss riding a motorcycle.
The Following User Says Thank You to MX2012 For This Useful Post:
someothertime (11-15-13)
Old 11-11-13, 03:15 PM

nastyjones is on a distinguished road

I'm 62 years old & I've been riding for 47 years. I've owned more bikes than I can think of. My current daily rider is a 1980 Suzuki GS1100 with Bandit/GSXR mods. I built the bike myself.
I've never had an issue focusing when on any of my bikes. I seem to have this hyperfocus anytime I ride. Speaking of riding, I can't put into words what motorcycling has meant to me. Even after all these years, almost every time I ride, I think to myself "Oh yeah, I was meant to do this". It just transcends every daily problem, my ADD, marriage issues etc. It takes me away to someplace magical every time I ride & I pray to God it stays that way forever.
Old 11-15-13, 02:37 PM
Jr Member

insistent is on a distinguished road

I have ADD, and a ktm exc 525, wich is a offroad rocket, i started last years, ive had concentration and memory problem, i never had a problem on the driving.
Old 11-15-13, 03:18 PM

Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Has an aprilia 450 and a kx 500, I never took any safety nothing, bought a kdx 220r my 1st bike taught myself how to ride n progressed from there.ive owned an ridden over 25 motorcycles n quads
Old 11-15-13, 08:22 PM

The faster I go the better I feel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-31-15)
Old 11-24-13, 04:59 PM

dainger is on a distinguished road

I have a Honda Rebel, upgraded after riding a honda elite scooter for a few years, and I love it. I find that at times I just like to take it out so I can zone out and not focus on anything but the road. The problem I find with it is that I am new to shifting gears and so when riding in town to and from places as a means of transportation it can get rather stressful as I try and focus on doing the proper things all the time. This is why when I get really busy, even if it is good weather, I will not take it out when going to class and other locations. Just being able to drive off somewhere random with no goal is the thing I love about motorcycles, maybe this will change with more experience, or maybe this is just how I ride. Regardless riding motorcycles is awesome!