ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 01-04-09, 04:47 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,183 Times in 2,917 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: impact of Testosterone on ADHD and mental health in general

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermeran View Post
ADHD is more common in boys/men than girls/women, so I guess that testosterone has something to do with it.
or lack of oestrogen.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 01-05-09, 01:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

Zerbinetta is a jewel in the roughZerbinetta is a jewel in the roughZerbinetta is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermeran View Post
ADHD is more common in boys/men than girls/women, so I guess that testosterone has something to do with it.
Careful, there. AD/HD gets diagnosed more frequently in boys than in girls - that does not necessarily mean there's a higher rate of prevalence among males. I for one am not at all convinced there is.
Old 01-17-09, 07:15 PM

karlgraham is on a distinguished road

i am now in a adhd investigation. my problems totally wrecked me at age 27. its a long story so i wont bother you with that right now. about the testosterone, i also wanted it checked but didnt have any luck. so i tried my self with doses a little above twice the normal treatment dose. i got more or less cured in less than a week and the effect lasted during my three month experiment. this is offcourse called doping and nothing that i recomend anyone do, unless your out of options...

needless to say? i been prescribed about 30 different drugs in diffrent combinations and strenghts (no adhd meds), and i also tried diffrent ilegally substances (MJ, mdma, amphtamine...) none of these drugs made me well, most made me worse some gave me some high of some sort, but testosterone "cured" me. i was being normal.

i have since then used this knowledge to try to get a proper treatment from a doctor that will work in the long run. my speculations right now is that the increse of concentration and mental performance that comes with higher testosterone levels and the increased sleepquality that also comes along was what made it so sensational for me.

best of luck to you!
The Following User Says Thank You to karlgraham For This Useful Post:
ahmeda (05-28-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-09, 10:28 PM
ADDvanced Member

Tyboulder will become famous soon enough

Great posts. I see so many dots connecting here. I came to the idea that my testosterone might be low by my own imagination / intuition. I looked into the symptoms of low testosterone levels and I could almost check every one of them off. So many of these reflected traits of ADD-I. It was amazing: forgetfulness, poor quality sleep, lethargy, mental dullness, lack of sex drive, short term memory problems, etc. It was like they were almost describing ADD-I to a T. So I went to GNC and bought some really expensive testosterone pills, but decided to go with DHEA instead. I asked my psych about it and he didn't know sht about a connection. However, he seemed to know enough to feel confident prescribing me three anti-psychotics for ADD (?)/(!) and to charge $250 an hour for it. I had my blood drawn to test for testosterone levels. The psych won't return calls, but I'll post when I get the results.

I also can tell that I'm not a "manly man." I could be called "metro" in the parlance of our times. I've been thought to be gay by plenty of women when I go out ot the bars and just act out with no concern for other's judgement. I don't feel the same reservations that many men have- hit on chicks, cling to a budweiser. I'm definitely not gay though. Not even close. Maybe 25%. I don't care about that, but it does seem to indicate a possible step away from strong testosterone levels. I almost think that is what makes ADHD and ADD-I so different. I feel as though I'm more similar to my mom genetically, and she has fibromyalgia and sleeping problems. I seem to have a low energy level (though I wish I was manic) and I've had sleeping problems forever.

I have a hunch that testosterone plays a large part in the way ADD-I manifests itself in men (and probably women). I hope to come back to this thread soon.
ahmeda (06-17-15), firstdesserts (02-28-09)
Old 03-03-09, 03:56 PM
Forum Guru

Logic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to all

I had a t-test about 18 months ago was about 850ng/dl (I'm 25), but owing to some recent disturbances in my behaviour I'm considering asking for another.
I'm combined type diagnosed, I"m extremely active and always on the move, but I still struggle to concentrate on almost anything that has importance attached to it, papers for university, paperwork at work, getting bills paid on time and for the correct amount... even with the niggling feeling that I really ought to just sit down and get busy with the 'important stuff', my brain tells me; "Lets go for a jog", or "The dog needs his twentieth walk of the day", or perhaps, "Just get to the next checkpoint on Call of Duty and then do the paperwork". It's like I'm trying to avoid engaging my brain ; )

Logic
Old 07-31-10, 06:21 AM

ChrisJ will become famous soon enough

There is quite a variance between everyone and testosterone use. I'm going to call it T for short as it is.
Six years ago I developed something called hypogonadism. My T levels were checked and came in at a "whopping" 86, and that was from the USA scale where the normal ranges would be between 300 and 1000. Different labs vary slightly. I was feeling lots of constant malaise and nausea.

So without looking any further as to why this condition was onset, I was prescribed Androgel which is a topical gel that gets rubbed onto the shoulders and absorbs in about 5 minutes. So this worked ok for about two weeks until my BP elevated, I became edgy, and began growing hair out of places I never had hair. I explained to the endocrinologist about these issues and he said I have to get used to it so those symptoms will disappear.
Well, they became worse.

So I made an appointment with another endocrinologist who put me on T cypionate injections every two weeks. The first "shot" I got, I felt like I was 20 again. Though the following shots never felt like that again. Doctors are supposed to take blood tests every two months for the first six months in the beginning of using T. This guy hadn't taken any for the time I went to him which was about 7 months.
After a few weeks my hemoglobin elevated, I began to have constant palpitations, hand trembling, and became rather aggressive. I also developed BPH (enlarged prostate) which led to prostatitis (prostate infection) and my libido was nil. Many think more is better in that respect, but when there is too much in there it causes reverse effects.
So I complained of this and he stated T won't do that and to go to my GP to get beta blockers for the palpitations.

I got to the GP and asked him to do blood tests instead and my hemoglobin was 20.9, my T levels were above 2200, and I was climbing the walls with panic attacks. He prescribed low-dosed Xanax which helped some. Then he sent me to a hematologist because of the too-high hemoglobin. I told him it was from too much T. He said T won't do that.
So off I go to the hematologist for monthly phlebotomies of a pint of blood each which causes the body to make more blood, but at a thinner rate. Then she sent me for outpatient hospital tests like blood oxygen which was normal. And then in her office where she did an unsedated bone marrow biopsy. My toes are still curled from that excruciatingly painful unneeded experience. But that was normal as well. So back to the phlebotomies where I finally smacked myself in the head and stopped using T. After a few weeks, all went back to the way I was all the way at the beginning with the malaise and nausea.

Onto endocrinologist #3. She tried the Androderm patch where over about two weeks, I developed a nasty raised welt from the gel inside the patch. So back to the T injections but at 100 mg's/mL instead of 200 mg's/mL from the second guy. Worked ok for a while, and it accumulated and the same problems began to develop. This year, she put me on Testim which is similar to Androgel. Worked ok for a while and once again, the same gel symptoms developed as before.

The reason I'm explaining this lengthy piece is because the pharmaceutical companies only make T in certain dosages and very few choices. So I was never started on a low amount, but the usual amount that works for most. For some reason my levels were never as high as they should be, or they were normal for me. They were never checked in previous years so no one ever knew what my natural T levels actually were.

Anyway, I did forget to mention that when T levels go over your normal levels or where your normal levels were, T converts to estrogen. Since my levels are lower than the norm, and using the larger normally prescribed amounts caused quite a bit of uncomfortableness as far as that feminine feeling goes. I don't belong there and this elevated the panic attacks. They became so bad, I freaked out every time I sat in the doctors office. So it was time to see the psychiatrist because the endocrinologist thought I was a nutcase by now. I also stopped using the T.
Though there were times when it seem to work ok and yes, there was more brain calmness and thinking was more clear. But it never lasted.

He started me on Clonazepam which worked quite well to calm the attacks. and every other week we'd chat for about 20 mintues or so and tried an antidepressant called Lexapro where I developed symptoms like I had Parkinson's. I told him I couldn't handle it so he stopped it.
And now? I'm using Adderall, 20 mgs a day. I can't handle anything higher and I still need to use the Clonazepam at times to calm the effects of the Adderall.
But its offered a lot in the way of brain clarity, however, this also gets me motivated so I need to run around like a whacko again doing all kinds of physical types of work. And of course now, from the low T levels, I burn out in a couple of hours because I could never stop in between, but get everything done that needed to be done in one day. I can't hold off anything until tomorrow.

I tried the T gel once with the Adderall and not at the same time, and my BP elevated too much. So more Clonazepam again.
I don't know what else Adderall does to the brain and/or the adrenals, but the first time I used it and ever since, it feels much like the first shot of T I had. Good mood, good well being, no depression, no shaking, and no other problems like the T developed. So the Adderall could possibly be elevating the natural T levels....or NOT. I have no idea, but again, it feels much the same as using T for me, but without all the nasty side effects T caused.

And then to finally end this lengthy wordy post, I believe the higher amounts of T caused the ADD to become worse. From the start, it should have been introduced more slowly and gradually to allow the body to perhaps get used to it at a much slower rate.
So these days I have to try to pace myself more so I don't run around too much and burn out too quickly.
If any of your T levels here are normal for you, I would leave them where they are. Again, we're all different, but T is not a thing to play with. There is a lot of hype about it raising libido and muscle mass, but it also has quite a few negative side effects.

And of course the other problem is if you DO need to supplement due to lower levels, you always have to use it. It never stays in your system. For example I experienced lots of weekly ups and downs when on the injections and when on the gels, daily ups and downs. That was another issue that drove me up the wall with panic attacks because each day was never the same.

Sorry for the long post.....I'm new here.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisJ For This Useful Post:
ahmeda (05-28-15)
Old 07-31-10, 10:49 AM
Contributor

DADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really nice

Interesting I saw this thread today. Yesterday my blood tests came back and found out that my testosterone was almost nonexistent. This really explains my lack of energy over the past 10 years or so, my always down mood (except for my current situation), my inability to gain any weight, and my lack of sex drive. Sex was never very important to me and I could go with or without. I had my days here and there, but for the most part could care less. I never paid too much attention to girls until I met what was soon to be my ex wife.

I've started taking shots every few weeks of depo testosterone and I really hope that I see some improvement in my mood, energy, libido (well, not really this right now since it would be wasted), and maybe finally gain some weight.

My ADHD symptoms go back to when I was a little kid so I doubt this has anything to do with that, though. Still, I'm hoping for positive results. It's the first time in my life I have had a definite, provable physiological symptom that could account for my shortcomings.
Old 08-01-10, 08:59 PM

ChrisJ will become famous soon enough

I never knew what my T levels were previous to 51 years old. Though I was always an over-doer physically and always burned out quickly. For example if I did a lot of yard work, I couldn't stop until I was exhausted, or night time arrived. But the next one or two days I always felt ill. Now I know my levels were never up there for the bodily support I needed.

Also when one gets "older"......the T levels decrease for all males, even females. Of course they don't have the amount a male has, but T also helps with bone strength and density for both as estrogen does as well, in different proportions for both.

In the beginning of an injecton, the levels go up over the normal limit, and gradually decrease over the following days. You may feel a bit of a spike on the second or third day...or not. But if your levels are real low, you WILL feel a difference.

I still believe the high T levels I experienced made the ADD worsen with panic attacks because it made me more jumpy. So make sure you get your levels checked at least every 2 months in the beginning.

And by the way, the reports of the past stating that T causes prostate cancer is not correct. They found in older males when the T decreases, the higher appearance of estrogen is the cause.
T also converts to estrogen in males when there is too much. I learned this reading bodybuilding forums. Not into bodybuilding but was researching symptoms of higher T levels and came across a few who noticed their T converting to estrogen because they are using amounts going well above their normal levels.

And one more thing, TOO much supplemented T will cause brain cell damage according to some recent Yale studies. So really, keep aware of your levels with your doc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisJ For This Useful Post:
ahmeda (01-10-16), DADHD (08-01-10)
Old 08-01-10, 09:24 PM
Contributor

DADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really niceDADHD is just really nice

Thanks Chris. I'm getting tested every couple months to check my levels. My first check is in a couple of weeks.
Old 09-03-11, 10:27 AM

tomtalicni is on a distinguished road

Hello guys!
First of all I hope that no one will be mad because i´m writing on an old topic, but I'm only trying to be useful to guys above and share some of my humble experience and knowledge to help others just like somebody else helped me by pointing my problem.

So, ChrisJ wrote that during his usage of testosterone shot had some bad experiences although he felt great on his very first shot.
That is a pretty common issue, here ´s why...

When u take an exogenous hormone for a first time body suddenly feels a higher dosage of testosterone than usual and feels ˝happy˝just like when u get some money u did not expected, both feels good, right?!
So, it is sudden, and out of nowhere and your body is not prepared for it because it is running on a different amounts of hormones and now...positive shock, T levels are just like in an young guy.
But...not for long! Why?
There is an simple but unpleasant catch!
If you have a lack of testosterone , it may be VERY possible that u at the same time have elevated estrogen levels and middle man between them is an enzyme called aromatase.
So, where is link between ˝male˝ and ˝female˝ hormone and what is aromatase?
Simplified version is this; by the first shoot it feels great but then aromatase gets your exogenous testosterone and converts it into estrogen which make´s you into new even bigger imbalance in which you have even more estrogen than earlier and less testosterone than you think you are having because it is aromatised (converted) into estrogen and you are just where you were at beginning , out of hormonal balance,maybe even more than earlier so it is expected that one will feel worse.

Some of low T and high E symptoms are brain fog, mood swings, worries, eye circles, face redness, felling warm, tired, low erections, lack of morning erections,fatigue, concentration and memory problems, some may have sensitive nipples,gynecomastia, puffy face, increased body fat in hips and in girly areas,higher voice, pale face ,lack of sexual wish and ambition generally, low body hair, smaller testicles and so on.

So, where may be one of the mistakes in Mr ChrisJ ´s case?
Here it is; persons on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) usually use some of medications from group named aromatase inhibitors, some of most popular drugs are Aromasin and Arimidex.
Aromasin prevents conversion of testosterone into estrogen and by that testosterone you have been taking is still testosterone and your level of estrogen is lower than earlier which ,if well adjusted and dosed, both makes an new hormonal balance,similar to your younger days. One more thing younger patients on TRT are using is HCG which is here to keep your testical function working that you could have kids if you wish them.
Sounds simply but everyone´s ratios and dosages are different and takes time, persistence,will, knowledge and money to adjust them well but quality of life have its worth. Especially if some knows how much feeling bad can cost..
Some may feel better with very low estrogen and high testosterone, some may feel better in other ratios, it depends from person to person but, synergistic action of those two compounds is almost inevitable. Some feel better only on exemestane (Aromasine) which takes down your E levels.
If person has more body fat than he needs it is probably that he has more E because some Estrogen comes from fat tissues.
All of these is very simple but complicated at same time.

Way to solution ;
First of all is to find an Andrologist of Endocrinologist, who knows more than just diabetes and that one is a diamant in the mud.
Some of the reasons for low T , high E may be are body fat, hypogonadism, Klinefelter´s syndrome, pituitary issues, maybe foods and so on. Even woman can get hormone imbalance so it is not just a boys thing.

First steps are blood work, tests for; Estrogen E2, total Testosterone, free Testosterone, SHBG, Prolactin, Cortisol, FT3, FT4, TSH, LH. Then you will know is this your problem and if it is how are you standing with hormones, if T is low and E elevated, google it, search for expert and solution, in future an MR of pituitary will be needed to check there is no tumors.
Do not buy drugs from steroid dealers because it may be fake or in a different dosages that box says it is. People, if you need it you need it for your permanent health not for foolish looking ˝good˝ on the beach for few summer weeks!
There are some great forums on the web that are about low T and male aging, i don´t know is it OK by moderators to say which they are so ill let you Google it ,it should be simple.

I wish that this post will help even one person, I hope that my post will not be erased or misunderstood because i´m not saying anyone what to do or what medicine to take, i´m just trying to to some good and if it helps someone, please help some other who is in need, do not be selfish with knowledge because knowledge does not make you a bigger person, it is how you share it and how you use it!

Wish you all the best health wich is a ˝state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity!˝

Best wishes!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomtalicni For This Useful Post:
ahmeda (05-26-15), oneup (06-06-13)
Old 05-26-15, 02:32 AM
ADDvanced Member

ahmeda will become famous soon enough

I have suffered many years (~20) of different anxieties and tiredness. I have been diagnosed with SAD (2004) and ADD(ADHD-I) (2012).

Nobody has suggested me during these years to have testo-levels checked...Well I went to have them tested since it is cheapish. Below the results

07.47 S-Testo,free 151 pmol/l 200 - 580 pmol/l
07.47 S-Luteinic hormone 2.8 U/l 2.5 - 7 U/l
07.47 S-Testosterone 7.7 nmol/l 10 - 38 nmol/l
07.47 S-SHGB 17 nmol/l 10 - 57 nmol/l

They are low. I wonder if this explains all the symptoms...I will go to re-testing with wider span of blood tests (thyroid, HCb, Hb, white cells, red cells, etc.) but for sure those levels are low. If nothing else is found I will start taking testogel first and see how it goes.

Very surprising that no doc. has ever suggested male hormones to be tested. Well perhaps I have gone to meet docs. with anxiety related issues front...Let´s see what happens.
- 29.7.2015 A caveat to above: I actually suffer from secondary hypogonadism (my pituitary gland doesn´t work properly). Treatment wise it is all the same. Still going strong .
The Following User Says Thank You to ahmeda For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (05-28-15)
Old 05-28-15, 02:58 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtalicni View Post
Hello guys!

Wish you all the best health wich is a ˝state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity!˝

Best wishes!
Thanks for your lengthy post. This definitely added some thinking to me. I was so ready to start this gel-testing within a month, but your post gave me some chills... Why is this so hard ? Human physiology is like a never ending maze.
- 29.7.2015 A caveat to above: I actually suffer from secondary hypogonadism (my pituitary gland doesn´t work properly). Treatment wise it is all the same. Still going strong .
Old 07-14-15, 05:24 PM

IMAEREHW is on a distinguished road

i have been recently diagnosed ADHD and just started taking meds like 4 days ago. I have also been a victim of low T an dam supposed to be getting shots every 2 weeks. I HATE NEEDLES therefore i had to go somewhere to get them done at $25 a visit!! so i stopped going about 6 months ago. now that i have been reading about ADHD and what it disrupts im interested to start the T shots again. Luckily i have found a way to have it done without paying so that will be a good thing. i guess i will update my results as i get them in.
The Following User Says Thank You to IMAEREHW For This Useful Post:
ahmeda (07-23-15)
Old 07-23-15, 12:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

I have started trt-therapy 1,5 weeks ago. It has been a life-changing event to me. My cognitive abilities+libido have boosted, my SAD is virtually gone.

Mentally I have to basically define who am I. I have been very very timid guy before.

Go have testo-levels checked. It is cheapish and can be a matter of life and death.